Getting Presario C300 C500 Fully Functional

26 posts in this topic

Hi everyone (a big HI! especially those of you who are driver gurus),

There are a bunch of us who are stuck when it comes to our Presario laptop (C300 and C500). So far, installing JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 works great. Everything is working great except the following:

The audio: Conexant High Definition Audio needs SkippyRetard's driver.

The modem: HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP is not working.

The wireless NIC: Broadcom 4311 802.11b/g is not working. This is the biggest headache of them all because not having networking makes the computer almost useless these days.

The computer won't sleep - sleep will reboot computer

The computer won't shutdown correctly - will go to the press and hold power button screen, but I believe that's related to the wireless not working because of the following panic:

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx(203.2)@01fb37000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.51)@0x1ea5e000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.1)@0x1b360000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(140.4)@0x1eb68000
com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(140.4)@0x1eb68000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.51)@0x1ea5e000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.1)@0x1b360000

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Many of us have been following the simple Broadcom tutorial, but it's not applicable because our 14e4, 4311 dev ID is already correctly entered in the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext driver.

I would personally pay $25 :hysterical: to the first person that gets the wireless working for me via PayPal or send you an Apple $25 iTunes card. I am sure the other Presario laptop owners who are frustrated like me will probably chip in too because we all just want that wireless to work so much. Thanks! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Unrelated...

My Dad has a C300, lives 3000 miles away from me and can't find his print screen key tosend me a screen shot of his monitor. I've looked in the manual and couldn't find it. Can one of you who have access to a C300 please help me explain where is is on his laptop keyboard?

kpaskow, the print screen is accessed using the Fn and insert keys. The insert key is top row, second from right.The Fn key is bottom row, second from left.

Back on topic, I don't know what I did, but some change along the way allows a normal shutdown on my machine, so I no longer need to press and hold the power button.

With the wireless, I think the PCI bus isn't being scanned properly on the machine. Even after the warm reboot from Windows trick that keeps the wireless turned on, it does not show in the System Profiler at all, whereas even unsupported addons through USB usually identify themselves.

BTW, my AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext won't even load, claiming an issue with dependencies. I have since started using a Belkin dongle I had lying around from networking my old G3 iMac.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well i cant solve the wifi problem but OSx is crashing from the driver trying to shutdown the wifi card what i picked up....there is a package called wifi support supplement or something like that floating aorund the forums and that solved my shutdown problems installed it doesnt crash on shutdown (C555NR) anymore

i would pitch in 25$ also to anyone who gets a solution :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to leave my 4311 card in now without causing a kernel crash. I am still unable to get the card to power on though. Here is how I got around the kernel panic:

1. Just got a new HD so performed a fresh install with Uphuck 1.3 10.4.9 release. (Leave the card out of the laptop for now)

2. DO NOT Install the 10.4.5 80211 kext at installation.

3. Completed install as normal.

4. Applied all updates (i.e. Security Update 2007-005, Airport update, etc.)

5. Using the Uphuck 1.3 DVD install the 10.4.5 80211 kext

6. Shut down

7. Install wifi (Ubuntu recognizes the card as a "Dell Wireless 1390", Hardware ID ox14e4,4311

You will now be able to boot with the card installed and NOT get a kernel panic. Unfortunately this still does not do any good as it seems like the only way to bring the radio online is through Windows. Even Ubuntu sees the card, but can make zero use of it.

well i cant solve the wifi problem but OSx is crashing from the driver trying to shutdown the wifi card what i picked up....there is a package called wifi support supplement or something like that floating aorund the forums and that solved my shutdown problems installed it doesnt crash on shutdown (C555NR) anymore

i would pitch in 25$ also to anyone who gets a solution :tomato:

can you show me where i can get the package that will take care of the shutdown problem, you can email it to me a kalman_79@yahoo.com

i delete the 4311 kext from I0802.11 but it still doesnt shut down

• 4 weeks later...

thats funny deleting the kext didnt work....it worked for me C555NR lappy....there was also something that seemed to help while testing stufff there was a wireless support.pkg i downloaded somewhere....

i went back and looked sure enough all i did was delete the bcxx4311.kext file...

^^sorry for vagueness its been a while

• 5 months later...

I have a c500 compaq laptop w/ Leopard 10.5.1 iATKOS v.1.0i. finally got to install could not get passed the registration due to my keyboard not working. is there a specific driver during the install that I should utilized to make it work. help please !!! Audio, network, etc. all working fine so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a Compaq Presario C551NR... BCM4311 wireless

I have installed OSx86 10.4.9 and it works nice... but no wireless!

Would also like to have wireless working because that would get me to drop windows and never go back.

I would also be willing to chip in $25 to someone that can actualy get it working!

Thank You,

Brendyn J

I also have a Compaq Presario C551NR... BCM4311 wirelessI have installed OSx86 10.4.9 and it works nice... but no wireless!Would also like to have wireless working because that would get me to drop windows and never go back.I would also be willing to chip in $25 to someone that can actualy get it working!Thank You,Brendyn J

read read read

go to /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

go line where is writen st like <string>eth0</string>and replace eth0 with eth1

to look like this

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data> ABSl6FN1 </data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key> <string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XVR1@3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/X1S0@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

save

use Repair & Set Permissions 1.0.app

than use disk utility to repair permitions

shutdown/reboot

after restart check if it is not set back to eth0

in attachment is my netprefs ziped working for me with 10.4.8 jas/10.4.9 uphuck

let me know if it works for you.

and perfectly u have to have System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\PlugIns\AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

can you show me where i can get the package that will take care of the shutdown problem, you can email it to me a kalman_79@yahoo.comi delete the 4311 kext from I0802.11 but it still doesnt shut down

if u have AMD so its normal so its a kernel problem.

there is thread somewere on IM or other sayingopen machkernek using some hex editor and replace values with other values but dont remeber where.

NetworkInterfaces.zip

• 8 months later...

Hello Guys

Well i register here to try an help you guys. I found a way to change ubuntu hardy to mac os leopard. I don't know if you guys just want the theme and look of mac or the actual OS. But i think this is pretty nice and thats what i have on my C300. I hope this was helpful to you guys.

This is the link

http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu...pard/2008/07/23

• 2 months later...

I have a compaq c300 (C302NR to be exact)

i have the wifi & audio working but no Mic.

to get the built-in wifi to work, back-up your IOPCIFamily.kext and replace it with the one attached & Reboot. Your wifi should work. Don't blame me if it doesnt... You can always restore it back. I used Kext helper to install it.

I use the AzaliaPackage from Here and have both the speakers & headphone output to work. the Mic input does not work.

have fun.

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

• 3 months later...

Just want to add that the IOPCIFamily.kext posted by DarthVader

here makes the WiFi work, FINALLY! I played with this using other

IOPCIFamily.kext's last fall on my C500 and got no where, this one

brought the WiFi right up (turned on blue light with switch). WOW!

This makes the C552US a great cheap Hackintosh laptop in 64bit

mode but of course now its nearly impossible to find any on like

ebay or amazon... sadly.

• 1 month later...

C300 Fully working here.

Even Sleep, Wifi, Only thing I haven't tested is Mic.

iAtkos 5i ->10.5.6 update

I am wondering if we would require a 10.5.7 wifi kext, I am afraid to update if the 10.5.6 kext chunan has will no longer work if I upgrade to 10.5.7

Anyone update fine?

• 4 weeks later...
I have a compaq c300 (C302NR to be exact)

i have the wifi & audio working but no Mic.

to get the built-in wifi to work, back-up your IOPCIFamily.kext and replace it with the one attached & Reboot. Your wifi should work. Don't blame me if it doesnt... You can always restore it back. I used Kext helper to install it.

I use the AzaliaPackage from Here and have both the speakers & headphone output to work. the Mic input does not work.

have fun.

Hi DarthVader,

Thanks for this link, for almost two years I have been trying to get this Broadcom on my C571NR to work with no result. After download this, it's still not working yet but however, for the first time, my hack sees the MAC address of the wifi card!!! One step closer!!

Just want to add that the IOPCIFamily.kext posted by DarthVader

here makes the WiFi work, FINALLY! I played with this using other

IOPCIFamily.kext's last fall on my C500 and got no where, this one

brought the WiFi right up (turned on blue light with switch). WOW!

This makes the C552US a great cheap Hackintosh laptop in 64bit

mode but of course now its nearly impossible to find any on like

ebay or amazon... sadly.

Hi Zaxboi, finally my wish came true!! Recently I updated my C500 intel Presario to 10.5.7. After over a year using a USB dongle WiFi, this IOPCIFamily.kext in combination with a AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext i extracted from 10.5.1 got the Broadcom WiFi working!! No more stupid dongle!! I am just wondering what you did to get the blue light work?

Right now the WiFi card works great but no blue light and the switch doesn't work, does yours work? If I turn the switch off, then turn it on again, I can't use the Turn Airport On/Off to restart the WiFi, but however, if I don't touch the switch leave it on, I can easily use the Airpot menu to switch WiFi on or off.

BTW, I am still trying to find a way to get the headphone and mic to work, anyone made any progress on the end?

TIA

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Zaxboi, finally my wish came true!! Recently I updated my C500 intel Presario to 10.5.7. After over a year using a USB dongle WiFi, this IOPCIFamily.kext in combination with a AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext i extracted from 10.5.1 got the Broadcom WiFi working!! No more stupid dongle!! I am just wondering what you did to get the blue light work?

Right now the WiFi card works great but no blue light and the switch doesn't work, does yours work? If I turn the switch off, then turn it on again, I can't use the Turn Airport On/Off to restart the WiFi, but however, if I don't touch the switch leave it on, I can easily use the Airpot menu to switch WiFi on or off.

BTW, I am still trying to find a way to get the headphone and mic to work, anyone made any progress on the end?

TIA

Hi there,

I have a Compaq Presario c500.I too have been slaved to the USB wifi dongle! However, I managed to use Chun-nan's IOPCIFamily.kext (which I gather is what you used) to work with ideneb 10.5.5 no problem ,my onboard broadcom wifi card worked perfectly as did the on/off switch for it, but in order to use the new iphone sdk 3.0, I had to recently upgrade to iatkos v7 10.5.7. Install went fine, but still no wifi working.

I tried running the IOPCIFamily.kext posted by Darth Vader (which again I gather is Chun-nan's) installed with kext helper, but during reboot, I get a little symbol of a circle with line through it (like a 'no entry' sign) and the computer fails to boot!! Did you have any problems like this? What software are you using for 10.5.7?

Cheers

Hi there,

I have a Compaq Presario c500.I too have been slaved to the USB wifi dongle! However, I managed to use Chun-nan's IOPCIFamily.kext (which I gather is what you used) to work with ideneb 10.5.5 no problem ,my onboard broadcom wifi card worked perfectly as did the on/off switch for it, but in order to use the new iphone sdk 3.0, I had to recently upgrade to iatkos v7 10.5.7. Install went fine, but still no wifi working.

I tried running the IOPCIFamily.kext posted by Darth Vader (which again I gather is Chun-nan's) installed with kext helper, but during reboot, I get a little symbol of a circle with line through it (like a 'no entry' sign) and the computer fails to boot!! Did you have any problems like this? What software are you using for 10.5.7?

Cheers

hi, exiusme my english (i spanish lenguaje) problem is the new 10.5.7 AppleACPIPPlatform.kext try this:

first restore previous AppleACPIPPlatform.kext from windows (macdrive aplication) or from other variant and delete Extensions.kext , later boot whit Leopard , later inside Leopard install whit the kexthelper IOPCIFamily.kext (chun-nan) again

regards from Argentina

in my compaq c500 full work wifi broadcom 4311 (button does not light) and full audio conexant out mic and headphone works!!

Leopard version 10.5.7

• 2 weeks later...
hi, exiusme my english (i spanish lenguaje) problem is the new 10.5.7 AppleACPIPPlatform.kext try this:

first restore previous AppleACPIPPlatform.kext from windows (macdrive aplication) or from other variant and delete Extensions.kext , later boot whit Leopard , later inside Leopard install whit the kexthelper IOPCIFamily.kext (chun-nan) again

regards from Argentina

in my compaq c500 full work wifi broadcom 4311 (button does not light) and full audio conexant out mic and headphone works!!

Leopard version 10.5.7

Hi there,

Thankyou so much for replying to my post!

Your english is excused!! I wish I could speak and read spanish hehe!

Thanks for your tips, I never knew about Macdrive, it is a cool little program and makes playing with files on my leopard partition easy!

I have reinstalled Leopard 10.5.7 and all is fine. Which I presume means that the AppleACPIPPlatform.kext has been restored.

However I have one question. I am unsure about deleting Extensions.kext. Is it the entire folder located at system/library/extensions ?

I tried deleting the extensions folder at the above location and booted leopard, but it would not get past the grey apple logo and progress wheel.

Hope you can help again!

Cheers

p.s my friend is leaving New Zealand tomorrow for a 4 week holiday in Argentina, so if you see her say hi! hehehehe

regards from Argentina

Leopard version 10.5.7

Hello again,

One last question. When you say....." first restore previous AppleACPIPPlatform.kext" do you mean use the 10.5.5 version?

Cheers

Hi there,

Thankyou so much for replying to my post!

Your english is excused!! I wish I could speak and read spanish hehe!

Thanks for your tips, I never knew about Macdrive, it is a cool little program and makes playing with files on my leopard partition easy!

I have reinstalled Leopard 10.5.7 and all is fine. Which I presume means that the AppleACPIPPlatform.kext has been restored.

However I have one question. I am unsure about deleting Extensions.kext. Is it the entire folder located at system/library/extensions ?

I tried deleting the extensions folder at the above location and booted leopard, but it would not get past the grey apple logo and progress wheel.

Hope you can help again!

Cheers

p.s my friend is leaving New Zealand tomorrow for a 4 week holiday in Argentina, so if you see her say hi! hehehehe

ok, the AppleACPIPPlatform.kext (10.5.7) NO compatible chung-nam kext , and yes restore from 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 this kext.

in windows xp Macdrive application show extension.kext and other kexts as a folders , this kext is a cache of drivers

, is inside SYSTEM/LIBRARY , (caution no is in SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS) ,....delete is ok

otra ayuda con el sonido amigo , install voodooHDA.kext this is link to download http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/ and full microphone and headphone working in my c500 but before delete azalia.kext and install later voodoohda.kext with kexthelper

ok regards and come to Argentina land of good soccer , wine and women :thumbsup_anim:

ok, the AppleACPIPPlatform.kext (10.5.7) NO compatible chung-nam kext , and yes restore from 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 this kext.

in windows xp Macdrive application show extension.kext and other kexts as a folders , this kext is a cache of drivers

, is inside SYSTEM/LIBRARY , (caution no is in SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS) ,....delete is ok

otra ayuda con el sonido amigo , install voodooHDA.kext this is link to download http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/ and full microphone and headphone working in my c500 but before delete azalia.kext and install later voodoohda.kext with kexthelper

ok regards and come to Argentina land of good soccer , wine and women ;)

Thank you again,

It was quite a mission. I had to reinstall 10.5.5 on another partition in order to get the old AppleACPIPPlatform.kext file.

I found the Extensions file, it is actually extension.mkext, which I deleted.

I then reinstalled the chun-nan family kext using kext helper.

The computer booted fine and the wireless worked beautifully.........However.. I got a warning message after boot on the desktop saying something like " the AppleACPIPPlatform.kext file was not installed properly, please try reinstalling or contact vender"blah blah blah! As a result of this, the computer ran incredibly slow and applications would take up to a minute to load or not load at all.

I have since reinstalled iatkos v7 10.5.7 and all is fine again, but I think I will wait till a better 10.5.7 broadcom fix is released.

So its back to the wireless usb dongle I'm afraid. Thanks for all your help on this.

Take care