HP nc8430 (just acquired, need to complete) EXPERIENCES HERE!

thevoiceover

59 posts in this topic

Guys,

I just acquired one of these boxes and have run into some issues getting things running! I have a triple boot of Ubuntu, XP and OS X...

There doesn't seem to be too many other people who have this model and for those who do they seem to be having as many issues as me. I am running 10.4.8 Jas patched.

I just got both processors running by adding platform=ACPI to the boot.plist -before I received kernel panic with both CPU's running. It shows processor 1, core 2 under profiler (this is correct I am assuming).. I have QE / CI running but only at 1024x768 & did get it up to 1400 at one point (going to take this 1 at a time) although I would love to get 1680x1050 running (is this an EDID problem?) with this x1600... Bluetooth is also running (good as I love my bluetooth) but audio isn't .

I have tried many of the kexts for HD audio but can only get it to say it is there, not actually output audio.. It is far from a fully working system, but closer than many others are. Has anyone gotten the onboard Intel Wirless to work?

Last but not least, I do not have any PCMCIA cards to test is this is working, anyone?

Well I hope we can all come together and share some knowledge and get this baby running.

Respectfully,

TVO

Can i ask, how are you able to get your monitor output image to work? My install only works if its on an external! If you had my solution, i would loveulongtime =D

I played around with the kexts and actually got it up to a 1400x900(I beleive 900) res at one point. I will play a little more here soon and try to get the native res out of it..

A more simpler way to get this all running would be a package from Diabolik (you can search for his posts)... He has written a very good installer for people with video issues. Diaboliks site I believe is his website (he posts that in his sig) I would try the one he made for mobility support (laptops)..

Can you please post me the results after you get them?

Thanks,

TVO

• 1 month later...

Using the 10.4.6 image, I was able to install very smoothly (Only turning off the dual core in the bios). I have two pieces of hardware still giving me fits ( Soundmax, and Intel 3945 A/B/G), but I am working on getting those ironed out as we speak.

I will give the ACPI hack a try to turn on the dual core...thx....

Using the 10.4.6 image, I was able to install very smoothly (Only turning off the dual core in the bios). I have two pieces of hardware still giving me fits ( Soundmax, and Intel 3945 A/B/G), but I am working on getting those ironed out as we speak.

What resolution do you have your video at? As for the sound, I have yet to see someone get this one running. You should be able to get the 802.11 running!

What resolution do you have your video at? As for the sound, I have yet to see someone get this one running. You should be able to get the 802.11 running!

Just 1024x768 for now, I will be working on that one soon. DO you have good instructions you could point me to for the WLAN? I have been digging, but I am getting ADD from all the info on here..... :lol:

ACPI hack did not appear to work, I will try again.

Just 1024x768 for now, I will be working on that one soon. DO you have good instructions you could point me to for the WLAN? I have been digging, but I am getting ADD from all the info on here..... :)

I will see what I can come up with tonight and try to post ASAP. I have been out of town for a little while..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Peace!

Well ... I also have nc8430, and I needed to turn off Dual Core (DC) support in BIOS in order to run OSX [10.4.8] (installer works fine with Dual Core). Now -- is it slower when I turn off DC support (I think it is :) ), and if it is, is it possible to live with DC and OSX together and how?

And of course: has anybody a link showing how to make sound working? I've seen so many topics with no solution :)

Thank you ... -- PY

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, here's my final results.

Failed to manage the sound, wired and wireless network to work, have to stay at 1024*768.

The good news is that I purchased a Belkin USB Wireless G adapter, plugged in and installed the drivers recommended by OX86 compatibility list. Now I have access to my wireless network.

So if you really want to use this version of Tiger to surf the internet, get the Belkin device may be a good choice, it only cost 35 in compusa, (20 in Newegg).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ive managed to install Mac OS X on my laptop but when I try to load it loads the apple logo, the wheel spins for a while, then stops.

In verbose mode it gives:

Jul 7 04:13:55 kextd[25]: kextd_watch_volumes: couldn't set up diskarb sessions
Jul 7............. localhost mDNSResponder-108.2 starting
................... localhost DirectoryService[58]: Launched version 2.1 (v353.5)
com_apple_driver_RTL139: Ethernet adres ..................
Jul 7 ............. Localhost configd[47]: No Airport driver found.
Jul 7 ............. Localhost /system/Library/Coreservices/loginwindow.app/contents/macos/loginwindow: login window application started.

Then it stops. But some sound comes on with something about voice quickstart. Odd.

I'm using uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.4i r2.

Hi all. I have just installed Mac OS X after a few days of hard graft. This is what happened:

1. I tried to install uphuck's installer but that failed.
  2. I managed to successfully install jas 10.4.8
  3. Unfortunately, this mucked up my Windows Vista bootloader, so I had to re-installed Vista and load chain0.
  4. My laptop now dual boots! Hoorah!

Unfortunately, there are a few minor problems:

• No sound.
  • No wireless networking.
  • Problems with graphics.

Other then that, it all seems to work fine.

• 1 month later...

I to am having issues with my nc8430. Will turning off DC (dual-core) help the install, i get a similar problem like some, it will go threw the install then itll reboot and ill get the mac loading screen then it will stop or restart itself.

*Update*

Well after some trial and error funny enough i have it working where i have a old NEC 17" LCD pluged into it and as long as that is the only display that is on it will work.

As soon as i try to switch back to the nc8430's display it fragments all over.

Any ideas?

Atleast im going in the right direction now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have an great update! I got it finally up and running, not in VMware, but running on my harddrive on a separate partition. I am using Uphuck's 10.4.9 & after playing around with things it MUST be ran with "cpus=1" both to install and boot from. The graphics work nice & quick, however now I have to figure out the following:

• Intel Wireless A/B/G Drivers
  • Full Resolution (1680x1050 WSXGA)
  • Both Cores working (not using "CPUS=1" command at startup)
  • Sound Drivers

This is just based off my experience & my bios settings. There may be other distributions you can use and varibles to change in bios to get things to work, but I like my computer to be just as functional when I re-boot in Windows.

Thanks to some other post I have ran across, I have got the x1600 Mobility working at full resolution (1680x1050) + the internal gigabit network card!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...19&hl=x1600

Attached are the two files needed to get them working.

To get the internal network card, do the following:

unpack hpnx9420_atix1600mob_atiinjectkexts.zip

move ATIinject.kext and ATINDRV.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

Open a terminal window and type the following commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIinject.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIinject.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

diskutil repairpermissions /

Then reboot and you should be good to go.

Unpack HP_NX9420_AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

move AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

Open a terminal window and type the following commands:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Reboot & it should be working

In most cases you get an ip address from a DHCP server, and you can access internet, but some firewalls (cisco firewalls) dont allow zero mac addresses, ISA does not care about zero MAC adresses. To edit your MAC address (grep from windows or something) manualy, type the following command.

ifconfig en2 ether <mac address>

Now the audio & WiFi are the only two things I think are left. The PCMCIA slot doesn't seem to be working, or atleast for the one card I do have.

HP_NX9420_AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

hpnx9420_atix1600mob_atiinjectkexts.zip

Thought I would toss this in just incase anyone out there thinks they have to type in cpus=1 everytime...

Copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to your desktop,

find: "<string></string>"(located in the "Kerneral Flags" area & change it to: "<string>CPUS=1</string>"

Save, replace it with the one on your computer & repair permissions, & reboot.

• 1 month later...

Yes, installing normally on its own partition (no VMware) I can't get the ethernet to work using the drivers from this post or others I have found. Display @ 1680x1050 works though. Intresting fact, bluetooth works in both 10.4 and 10.5, but my bluetooth headphones won't work or pair correctly with 10.4, so I have no sound card in either version. Basically your 100% crippled from my experience with 10.5. However I may be doing something wrong...?

• 3 weeks later...