What happened to win2osx.net?

opieum

82 posts in this topic

I suspect they got taken down. They did have a US based webhosting service at elast that is what shows up when you go to their page now. DMCA stuff and all that.

Or they got DDOSed with so many connections.

I personally think it is the first one. Hours after the Maxxuss patch comes out and the site goes down. And then there is the news of the patent on the new protection schemes. So that would make sense that apple is on the look out for that. I could be dead wrong and I hope I am. Anyways any official word on this would be great :(

I bet it's just 'cuz they had a lot of traffic in a single day. His host is canada based, meaning DMCA issues don't come about. When they were first put online they had this, where they burned like 15GB in a day, and the host pulled them offline, really lame.

Let's be careful here. The Maxxuss patch does work and the flurry of triumphant posts on win2osx.net would be reason enough for that site to be forced offline, if it has been. We really don't want that to happen to this site. Remember that we should not discuss anything that puts our osx86project community at risk. It would only take one injudicious post, link or screenshot to have a ton of lawyers breathing down the Admins' necks. Maybe we can relax again after a decent time has elapsed but I'd guess that right now the Apple legal department are scouring the internet. Please take care in what you say!

I think the site is not down or offline, maybe flooded, yesterday after Maxxuss post the oah* files there I had problem accessing the forum, after hitting the refresh button several times I could access, then again the error of page not found, hit refresh again another more times, gain access. I didn't see Simon online yet for ask him details.

I think the site is not down or offline, maybe flooded, yesterday after Maxxuss post the oah* files there I had problem accessing the forum, after hitting the refresh button several times I could access, then again the error of page not found, hit refresh again another more times, gain access. I didn't see Simon online yet for ask him details.

Yes thats what was happening to me,I could refresh afew times and get on.All while people were saying it was down.I think it got flooded off because of traffic.When Simon knows whats up he will fix it :)

Fix? There's nothing to fix. The fact that the domain is on a bad host can not be concluded that it has to be fixed. Nothing is broken in the first place. Just a bad judgment or lack of funds in placing the domain on the current ISP. A good DC, dedicated box or a virtual host will fix everyting. It also doesn't help the community by keeping it in the dark this long.

Fix? There's nothing to fix. The fact that the domain is on a bad host can not be concluded that it has to be fixed. Nothing is broken in the first place. Just a bad judgment or lack of funds in placing the domain on the current ISP. A good DC, dedicated box or a virtual host will fix everyting. It also doesn't help the community by keeping it in the dark this long.

Fix meaning he will get it back up.the site isnt that busy,sometimes he doesnt log in for a day or so.He might not even know its down.

Ok, then lets not blame it on the host. What about just bad managment. I understand that people do have a life, but come one. I have my server email and send me a text message if its down for even 10min. (time is money). Something I can't fix, I call the DC, then give clients a rebate.

If the admin wants to make that site more popular than it has been and get more traffic, what good is it? When a surge somes along the minute you guys post a patch, then the server gets swamped?

Ok, then lets not blame it on the host. What about just bad managment. I understand that people do have a life, but come one. I have my server email and send me a text message if its down for even 10min. (time is money). Something I can't fix, I call the DC, then give clients a rebate.

If the admin wants to make that site more popular than it has been and get more traffic, what good is it? When a surge somes along the minute you guys post a patch, then the server gets swamped?

Well the way I see it is he is doing it for us and if it goes down for a while it goes down.Its not in my control so I cant get upset if its down.He will get it back up when he does.Last time it was down for an hour.The time before that a week or so.

From his attitude I dont think he cares about getting it popular to tell you the truth.He's just trying to give us an outlet for things we could not talk or post about anywhere else.and since the only money I give him is when I click on an ad .. again I cant complain.

But you seem to know what your doing about hosting forums and being a sysadmin ... maybe you should look into getting some hosting in some country where these kinds of topics could be posted.Then the site would be up all the time.Hell I would even help you moderate it.

Bare with me. It's the witching hour here and I just got done watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose for the 5th time. So my tone might not be so pleasing. I only posted a slight attack to get some kind of feedback after being down 12hrs.

As far as where he is hosting, I don't think the country where his IP address resides is a problem. You might want to investigate on the host though. If you decide to go to an alterntive country, RU, DK, and China, in that order. My servers are all in Houston and Dallas, so no good there. I'm in it for the money, but I might know some people, that know some people, that know some people with extra BW in a DC in RU.

I think 2 sites that offer info on OSx86 is enough. It also doesn't help by diluting a site full of good members.

If those site host files where Big Brother can reach it, then they will go down. Apple or the Feds can demand to take down files shared on free hosting, but they know it's a lost cause. We can alway rename and re-up. I'm glad it's up now though.

According to the sig. his/her birthday is getting no nearer! C'mon, what's the secret?

LOL I didn't even notice. But beleive me, I wished I knew. Reaching midlife ain't fun.

just some extreme traffic problems which have been sorted now! we had 573 people online at one stage -_-

If those same people use browsers that pre-fetch sites, it can quadruple your bandwidth. If bandwidth it the problem, try to block those browsers with pre-fetch or ask the members to disable pre-fetch in there browsers when browsing your site. You also have to take account the visitors that hit F5 every 10sec. using Firefox with auto-refresh and Fasterfox plug-in. It will kill your server.

only Idiots keep pressing F5 or pressing the refresh button when a page might be slow. or having bandwith problems.

Listen up n00bs The page is not going to load any faster of you keep trying to refresh it. prehaps win2osx should add a 24hour IP ban on those members that do such a thing.

Yes, I have tried Maxxuss's new stuff. I patched my 10.4.3 and booted it up on my Intel 915GL, onboard graphics, Celeron 330J and it is lovely. I did have to patch my AC97 sound card afterwards but that is no biggie. Now my box screams along and everyting, even DVD Player works!!

Also, I tend to agree that it is traffic issues as the site seems to go down every time Maxxuss puts some new cutting edge info out there, but I will NOT hold that against him. Just give the server some time and the site pops back up. It's that explaination or they are updating the site as well because after every blackout, the latest news has changed as well.