• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• Retired
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
I always like reading about how the whole OSX86 scene came to be what it is today. Makes me feel a lot more appreciative of the above mentioned people who helped bring it where it is today.

Definitely a great read indeed.

Maximuss

Maximuss

InsanelyMac ProtΓ©gΓ©

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Awesome stuff, Swad, read it over and over again, and yet want to read more. How much longer for the second part? Please write about maxxuss, and the incessant driver requests he would be flooded with :D

Maxxuss should definately be mentioned yes ! :)

Macslap

Macslap

InsanelyMac ProtΓ©gΓ©

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:music, guitar, singing, recording, graphic design, science, macs, operating systems, electronics...
I've been playing with Mac OS on a PC since the first version of Basilisk II (68k Emulator) came out. The holy grail was to get PPC support...that happened long after...but not very well.

When it was rumored that Apple was moving to Intel processors....I started hearing of the chance that OSX would be able to run on ordinary PC's. Major thrillage occurred when this whole OSx86 community started forming.

As a matter of fact...about 3 yrs ago I had a computer built for me for this very purpose. I started out with a distro of Tiger...then moved to a distro of Leopard....then got brave with a retail version of Leopard....then retail Snow leopard....and now retail Lion.

I love this stuff!

ntsmkfob

ntsmkfob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 233 posts
+1 for more about Maxxuss.

gramshi

gramshi

InsanelyMac ProtΓ©gΓ©

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Don't forget to explain why semthex left insanelymac !!!

CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13

InsanelyMac ProtΓ©gΓ©

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Will parts 2 & 3 ever be released?

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts

Don't forget to explain why semthex left insanelymac !!!

If you know, why don't you tell us? Semthex left around April 2007, so I doubt there are many people who remember. All members of staff active now came after that time, including myself (I mean, I was a member then, but I wasn't staff).

Will parts 2 & 3 ever be released?

Obviously not! (short of a miracle). This topic was started Mar 21 2007, and Swad promised he would publish Part 2 within a week.

Many of us, including myself, would like to know more about OSx86 history. All we have left now, 6 years later, is our personal memories.

aylamrin

aylamrin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

+1 for more about Maxxuss.

+1 for him ... Yes indeed !

Well, the year 2006 was to Hackintoshing what 1999 was to Trance music. I couldn't afford a Mac those days, so I started to build a Hackintosh.

When I start thinking about those early days, it makes my eyes go moist, Apple has changed my life so much !!! It's a love affair now .

P.S. Sorry for being such an "emo" ! :)

KTC

KTC

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 285 posts
Good old days :( Great memories.......... the Maxxuss patch, the Borisbadenov hack to have the Radeon X1600 fully working all running with a P4 SSE3 cpu

Micky1979

Micky1979

I realized that I am lucky

• Moderators
  • 2,007 posts

If you know, why don't you tell us? Semthex left around April 2007, so I doubt there are many people who remember. All members of staff active now came after that time, including myself (I mean, I was a member then, but I wasn't staff).

Obviously not! (short of a miracle). This topic was started Mar 21 2007, and Swad promised he would publish Part 2 within a week.

Many of us, including myself, would like to know more about OSx86 history. All we have left now, 6 years later, is our personal memories.

Wow!

This is stuff for the first page!
Never read anything more fascinating stories for OSX86!

...must be on Front Page of InsanelyMac Forum really!!!!!

Micky

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts
Hi Micky

I wish we had something more complete than this to put on the front page. A full history of OSx86.

Micky1979

Micky1979

• Moderators
  • 2,007 posts

Hi Micky

I wish we had something more complete than this to put on the front page. A full history of OSx86.

Hi Alessandro17,

the beginning of this story already speaks very long!
I did not even the birth of OSX86 scene, InsanelyMac deserves to know the real story at all, because this is fascinating, poetic and intriguing!

I came here reading your posts, but I've made ​​this:

Attached File  Insanely OSX86.png   16.63KB   3 downloads really :)

and then ... all good stories have an uncertain end

Micky

iawval

iawval

InsanelyMac ProtΓ©gΓ©

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Funny, I must have that DVD somewhere still, I had bought a used PC as a gift for my sister and wanted to set it up, but for some reasons nobody ever understood, windows wouldn't install, linux did so I was trying to make linux aesthetically pleasant looking and usable for her, no easy task, when the Os/x hack came out, I tried it and it worked, but it was too much fun, so I bought a used B&W for my sister and kept that PC for myself. Later the processor melted during experiments LOL.

Legality? whatever said, you can buy it or not, running Os/X on non-apple hardware isn't legal, so the "buy your copy" is only hypocrisy, sorry guys, it is so. I can patch my

conscience with the fact that I bought many real Macs and, teaching basic informatics at UNI, I always told my students "buy a Mac", so I must have given hundreds new customers to Apple.

Micky1979

Micky1979

• Moderators
  • 2,007 posts

Funny, I must have that DVD somewhere still, I had bought a used PC as a gift for my sister and wanted to set it up, but for some reasons nobody ever understood, windows wouldn't install, linux did so I was trying to make linux aesthetically pleasant looking and usable for her, no easy task, when the Os/x hack came out, I tried it and it worked, but it was too much fun, so I bought a used B&W for my sister and kept that PC for myself. Later the processor melted during experiments LOL.

Legality? whatever said, you can buy it or not, running Os/X on non-apple hardware isn't legal, so the "buy your copy" is only hypocrisy, sorry guys, it is so. I can patch my

conscience with the fact that I bought many real Macs and, teaching basic informatics at UNI, I always told my students "buy a Mac", so I must have given hundreds new customers to Apple.

Yes, I know, in my house, my dad has a real MacBook Air 2011,
OSx86 is for me just a great pastime and a game, maybe even a test for myself.
What happens here, just talk with the community, and I find it very interesting!

This is not tonymacx86, here we only puts to the test the ability of users ......to find that in the end.....we all know a little better the PC and Mac!
...and for you all?

Micky

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts

...and for you all?

Micky

I want to stress for the nth time that installing OS X on a PC if you own a legal copy of OS X is not piracy, thus it is not a criminal offence.
At most it is a breach of EULA, and that is a matter between Apple and you.
Also, the purpose of InsanelyMac has never been to give you a free Mac, especially if you are going to use it professionally.
As to me, about 18 months ago I bought a MacBook Pro, which has become my main computer. I almost forgot my hackintosh partition.
More recently my PC hard disk where I had installed OS X died, thus I don't have a hackintosh at all ATM.

santa1

santa1

InsanelyMac ProtΓ©gΓ©

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
NICE, I like, more....

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts
I would like to invite anyone who was around at the beginning of OSx86 to contact me. I have been given permission to host this article by swad on my website, and am looking to expand it with the personal experiences of anyone who was around in the old days. I don't care if you were a moderator or not, I'm looking for personal accounts as well as people to fill in some gaps. Please contact me through my profile, thanks!

Frank Nitty

Frank Nitty

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:iHustle
This was a very good read, thanks.

jplee4907

jplee4907

InsanelyMac ProtΓ©gΓ©

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
This is a great story to remember...thanks!!

ntsmkfob

ntsmkfob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 233 posts
There is more info on a Russian wiki page that translates quite well. Here : http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy