Fix for Kernel Panic (Unresolved Kernel Trap) on 10.4.9 Boot

Eidola

15 posts in this topic

Do you get this kernel panic when trying to boot your new 10.4.9 system:

Panic (CPU 0 Caller 0X001A429B): Unresolved Kernel Trap (CPU 0, Type 0=Divide Error)

If so, you need to enter your BIOS and pick "disable" for the setting titled:

Limit CPUID (or some sort of variation on this title)

For more information on what the CPUID is visit this site:

http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=307

I hope this helps anyone with this issue get their 10.4.9 update working! :unsure:

Do you get this kernel panic when trying to boot your new 10.4.9 system:

Panic (CPU 0 Caller 0X001A429B): Unresolved Kernel Trap (CPU 0, Type 0=Divide Error)

If so, you need to enter your BIOS and pick "disable" for the setting titled:

Limit CPUID (or some sort of variation on this title)

For more information on what the CPUID is visit this site:

http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=307

I hope this helps anyone with this issue get their 10.4.9 update working! :(

YES! FANTASTIC!

I have worked on this problem for the past three days. I saw your post, tried it, and it fixed my problem.

A blessing on you and your house for several generations. :rolleyes:

My test system is now up on 10.4.9 WITH the 8.9.1 kernel - used the JaS updater from the Deamon. I am working on the update for my main system now.

Many thanks!

Yeah, I had the same problem last week too. Was going at it for a few days, but then I just checked some bios settings and turned it off as a try and it worked. I guess I should have posteded too. At least we know what the problem was.

You are all most welcome! :rolleyes:

I spent quite some time trying to figure this out until I remembered I once had issues with this before... though I have no idea how this setting became enabled in my BIOS again after the 10.4.9 update!

Other then AGP I have a fully working 10.4.9 system, which seems to be much "snappier" then the previous 10.4.8 version. :D

However, I am getting this error on a Dell GX280, and I can't find any thing like this in the bios.. any suggestions?

Try setting your BIOS to the factory defaults, that's what I did before to know this solution and it worked for me. I didn't know what happened then, but now it makes perfect sense...

I don't get that error, mine sais sometimes if system doesn't reboot too fast a thing with intelcpu powermanagement.

If I remove the kext stays still the same.

None of the kernels work.

8.8.1 works no problems, but I wanna try the new one.

Please advise!!

I don't think there are installer options, though both kernels are included. Once you've installed, DON'T reboot and manually replace the kernel with the one you want. (back up the original one)

I have the problem suggested by the OP--can't seem to boot any of the 8.9.1 kernel variants..I have a dell 4700 with a P4 prescott, HT, no nx...should have HPET. Anyway, all kernels from 10.4.9 are no-boot. there seems to be some consistency with Dells in that respect? There is no option for CPUID or CPU serial number in the bios...so maybe it's a no-go? I've tried disabling HT. Anybody got a Dell like this working, and if so, what bios options/kernel were chosen? 10.4.8 works fine, but I'd like that Nvidia screen rotation option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Same here, Optiplex GX280, p4 3.4

Of ALL the lame things to stop the boot!? I guess people are having luck w the 10.4.8? I only have the uphuck 10.4.9 v 1.3 Guess i have to go find an older version...

Anyone with a gx280 thats RUNNING??

I really want to get it working, 3.4 p4, 1GB ram, Ati x300, should be a nice little mac!!

help help help!

also, we hate you Dell for not letting us turn off this feature!