Guide to Dual Boot OSX 10.4.8 n Vista

2 posts in this topic

Well I know there are Guides out there to dual boot but none of them worked for me. This is my guide modded from Dilnalomo's Guide.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS WAS BEEN A PAIN IN MY BUTT AND TAKES SOME TIME, but once you do it right it works!

Things you need:

1 OS X 10.4.8 DVD Intel and AMD

1 Vista DVD

1 Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.2160

1 Blank HD

Well I know there are Guides out there to dual boot but none of them worked for me. This is my guide modded from Dilnalomo's Guide.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS WAS BEEN A PAIN IN MY BUTT AND TAKES SOME TIME, but once you do it right it works!

Things you need:

1 OS X 10.4.8 DVD Intel and AMD

1 Vista DVD

1 Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.2160

1 Blank HD

Some Spare Time
  1. So you have a blank Hard Drive (HD)

2. Pop in your OSX DVD and boot up

3. Once you get to the Installer Go to Disk Utilities

4. Select Partition on the Blank HD

5. Choose 2 Partitions and make the 1st Partition your Mac OSX extended Journal

6. On your second partition make it Free Space

7. Close Disk Utilities and follow the continue the install and select what is necessary for your install

8. Once finished and it goes to reboot pop out the OSX DVD and put in the Vista DVD to install. Trust me if you configure OSX right after and it doesn't work, you wasted time.

9. When asking to install Vista Select the partition that was the Free Space one. Just format it to NTFS. You wont be able to install Vista just yet though.

10. After formatting reboot and pop back in the OSX DVD and load up Disk Utilities.

11. Go back to your hard drive but this time Select the NTFS Partition only

12. Click Erase Disk and format it to MS-DOS and then Erase Disk and Quit Disk Utilities and Reboot.

13. Put back the Vista DVD and boot it up.

14. Now same way again formatting the Partition that is now a FAT32. Only this time you should be able to click install and Continue installing Vista

15. Once installed grab the Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.2160 and install that. It will ask to reboot and do so.

16. Once reboot you will boot right into Vista. Once in Vista install the OS Selector. Then again reboot.

17. It boots into the OS Selector and you should see Windows Vista English and Unknown Operating System.

This was the way I dual boot my system and it works. I've done it twice but now I have my system the way I like it. So let me know if this works for anyone, if they want try it.

I am not Responsible for anything you lose including Data and Hardware.

This was the way I dual boot my system and it works. I've done it twice but now I have my system the way I like it. So let me know if this works for anyone, if they want try it.

I am not Responsible for anything you lose including Data and Hardware.

In no way would I want to encourage the use of Acronis OS Selector (AOSS) for such a simple dual-boot — since it can be done with osx's bootloader or vista's bootloader — but if one still wishes to use AOSS, I have two recommendations:

1. install AOSS on it's own small non-system fat32 partition (eg a small logical partition); that way if you uninstall Vista/XP, or if {censored} happens, the aoss boot files are safe; also, it diminished some fairly common problems associated to AOSS unstabilities;
  2. CREATE the Acronis Boot CD; this will include tools to repair and/or reactivate AOSS, which will be usefull in case the MBR has been modified by reinstalling Vista or OSX; no need to reinstall AOSS then, just re-activate it.