reripping my CDs into apple lossless or WAV?

non sequitur

6 posts in this topic

I am reripping all of the cds i ripped in WMA and then converted to AAC into some form of lossless codec. i have ripped the past few CDs i bough in Apple Lossless, and i have been very pleased with it so far. However, before i go crazy and rerip everything, should i rip in Apple Lossless (a form of aac) or WAV audio?

does Apple Lossless take up less space? I'm not sure. If you use an iPod and try to save storage, Apple Lossless would be the way to go. Both are lossless formats anyway, so wouldn't make any difference in terms of sound quality.

Apple Lossless is a good choice, although FLAC is a better decision for quality yet is incompatible with the default Apple Ipod FIrmware along with Itunes. Also WMA uncompressed (which I assume you are using) are much bigger than they should be (almost 10 MB per minute).

My choice, ALAC.

For me it comes down to ALAC or FLAC. (I have a large collection waiting to be ripped)

I'm holding out for Leopard to see what it brings from the FLAC side - word is on the street it that the Quicktime framework [aka itunes support] will have FLAC support bulit in at API level; that may (or may not) extend to new ipod firmware to enable playback of FLAC.

I have all my multimedia files (music/video/photo) stored on Synology CS-406 NAS 1.5GB RAID5 Arrary. Gigabit LAN blah blah blah - cheap and quite fast in benchmarks. Good support people as well.

Until leopard there is a quicktime plugin that allows FLAC to be played thru itunes.