JaS 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Only Combo Update

Schweppes

191 posts in this topic

Anyone getting kernel panics .. are you all rememebering to set your fsb when booting the kernel?

I have a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Prescot CPU in a Socket 478 mPGA and it boots fine in my hack. My guess is it is fsb issue or something to do with your laptop. try disableing htt in the bios. I do not have to as I have a desktop with this cpu in it.

Good luck.

Hey Blade. I was having the same error, and I was in your very same situation.

Tried every single method and installer out there, swapped kexts and frameworks like hell and nothing. Kiko was so kind and was trying to help me but all their suggestions failed.... I think I tried about 15 different methods, with no luck, alwas the same error message, Panic (CPU 0 Caller 0X001A429B): Unresolved Kernel Trap (CPU 0, Type 0=Divide Error)... etc etc. Today at 3:00 AM I was so bored and frustated (because my rig has been always among the most compatible ones) that I started to play with the BIOS... until I broke it and I had to set back the factory values. Guess what? Magically the damn thing started to work!

Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem was, but I'd recommend you to set your BIOS to the factory defaults and give it a new try, who knows... and post your results, it may help somebody else.

Happily typing from my brand new 10.4.9 installation :censored2:

Anyone getting kernel panics .. are you all rememebering to set your fsb when booting the kernel?

I have a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Prescot CPU in a Socket 478 mPGA and it boots fine in my hack. My guess is it is fsb issue or something to do with your laptop. try disableing htt in the bios. I do not have to as I have a desktop with this cpu in it.

Good luck.

JaS, my system is a small form factor desktop - only two plugin slots & one hard drive bay.

I have tried booting with "mach_kernel fsb=200 -s" - still got the panic. I see the messages about the kext files last one I can see is System.kext. Then the screen goes blank and the panic messages are displayed.

I will have a look at my system bios & try reset to factory - though I think that's where it is set now.

sorry for the newbie question.. but, i don't have changed the FSB, anyone explaine me.. please :thumbsup_anim:

the update not resolve the problem with the dual core laptop cpu, is possible a resolution? or the only resolution is disabled the second core?

I'm not quite sure this would work, but my idea would be to manually repair the permissions of the kernel, i think thats the reason the nohpet kernel give me a kernel panic. I'll keep you guy updated, as right now i am going to try it from a fresh install

Hey Blade. I was having the same error, and I was in your very same situation.

Tried every single method and installer out there, swapped kexts and frameworks like hell and nothing. Kiko was so kind and was trying to help me but all their suggestions failed.... I think I tried about 15 different methods, with no luck, alwas the same error message, Panic (CPU 0 Caller 0X001A429B): Unresolved Kernel Trap (CPU 0, Type 0=Divide Error)... etc etc. Today at 3:00 AM I was so bored and frustated (because my rig has been always among the most compatible ones) that I started to play with the BIOS... until I broke it and I had to set back the factory values. Guess what? Magically the damn thing started to work!

Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem was, but I'd recommend you to set your BIOS to the factory defaults and give it a new try, who knows... and post your results, it may help somebody else.

Happily typing from my brand new 10.4.9 installation :)

Well, I tried. ReBoot -> BIOS Setup -> Load Factory defaults -> ReBoot

The result was the same - kernel panic with both kernels - "mach_kernel fsb=200 -s" ;)

I think I will hold off for a while as I am only spinning my wheels to no advantage just now.

Can anyone explain the "Two Version 8.9.1 Kernel choices" ? It sounds like you may need to choose one of them when you do the install?

1. Mach Kernel w/HPET & NoNX

2. Mach Kernel nohpet (NoNX also)

above from Jaz"s notes on Demonoid.

So how and why do I choose one kernel over the other? 10.4.8 is running so well I want to be sure of the details before I try upgrading. thanks.

Okie, I've Just Upgraded to 10.4.9 and I get the kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" here is what I've done:

1- Install Jas 10.4.8 DVD Intel/SSE3 only Reseed - Restart ==> Worked fine

2- Upgrade Jas 10.4.9 Combo Update - Restart ==> Worked fine

3- Apply Callisto 008 (Including change some values in Atiradeon9700.kext & AtiRadeon9700GA.plugin for getting QE & CI supported) - Restart ==> Worked fine

4- Replace AppleSMBIOS.kext & IOATAFamily.kext follow paulicat's Method. Hardware's info are all correct in "about this Mac" - Restart ==> Worked fine

5- Then I shutdown my computer

Everything seem fine before shutdown. Mac 10.4.9 worked great!

6- In the evening, I turn on my computer and oops I got the kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" (It asked me to hold power key for restart... bla bla... with many number above...). What's happen?

7- Okie, I login my WinXP then used Transmac for delete Extensions.kextcache & Extensions.mkext - Restart ==> Worked fine

8- I restarted again - Restart ==> kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

9- I installed 10.4.4.loginwindow.pkg & MPIP103_10.4.9.SMB.CIFS.APF.FIX.dmg (include in Jas 10.4.9 combo package) - Restart ==> kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

10- I returned original IOATAFamily.kext - Restart ==> kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

11- But when I login my WinXP then used Transmac for delete Extensions.kextcache & Extensions.mkext - Restart ==> Worked fine

So, something like this: If I delete Extensions.kextcache & Extensions.mkext before restart, I can login to Mac OSX, without it, I got the kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

My specs in my signature.

Anybody know the solutions?

Please help me!!!

Thanks in advanced!

if you search at mininova.org it indexs the demon, demonoid is not really a private tracker.

in other words, you don't need an account, just search on mininova.org to get files talked about on demonoid.

:thumbsdown_anim:

I don't have a demonoid account and the site says that new accounts cannot be created.

How can I get the JaS 10.4.9 Combo?

what is MPIP103_10.4.9.SMB.CIFS.APF.FIX.dmg for?

What kernel is preferred for people using jas 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 semthex kernel on a pentium 805d?

Also regarding FSB setting - My system is overclocked here but I have no FSB setting in my com.apple.Boot.plist - what effect would that have on my current system and if it is working now would it work the same after the update?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Okie, I've Just Upgraded to 10.4.9 and I get the kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" here is what I've done:

1- Install Jas 10.4.8 DVD Intel/SSE3 only Reseed - Restart ==> Worked fine

2- Upgrade Jas 10.4.9 Combo Update - Restart ==> Worked fine

3- Apply Callisto 008 (Including change some values in Atiradeon9700.kext & AtiRadeon9700GA.plugin for getting QE & CI supported) - Restart ==> Worked fine

4- Replace AppleSMBIOS.kext & IOATAFamily.kext follow paulicat's Method. Hardware's info are all correct in "about this Mac" - Restart ==> Worked fine

5- Then I shutdown my computer

Everything seem fine before shutdown. Mac 10.4.9 worked great!

6- In the evening, I turn on my computer and oops I got the kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" (It asked me to hold power key for restart... bla bla... with many number above...). What's happen?

7- Okie, I login my WinXP then used Transmac for delete Extensions.kextcache & Extensions.mkext - Restart ==> Worked fine

8- I restarted again - Restart ==> kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

9- I installed 10.4.4.loginwindow.pkg & MPIP103_10.4.9.SMB.CIFS.APF.FIX.dmg (include in Jas 10.4.9 combo package) - Restart ==> kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

10- I returned original IOATAFamily.kext - Restart ==> kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

11- But when I login my WinXP then used Transmac for delete Extensions.kextcache & Extensions.mkext - Restart ==> Worked fine

So, something like this: If I delete Extensions.kextcache & Extensions.mkext before restart, I can login to Mac OSX, without it, I got the kernel panic: unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

My specs in my signature.

Anybody know the solutions?

Please help me!!!

Thanks in advanced!

Make sure to restore an older version of system.kext

So U recommend me to replace the system.kext from 10.4.8 ?

[EDIT] I can mount *.dmg file with no problem

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>fsb=xxx</string>

I have the same FSB with Jas (800hz) and I think fsb=200 is not my problem. (for along time, I've never met problem with fsb=200 as default)

:rolleyes:

ODD , installed fine and booted fine.. graphics are a bit fast.. but in a weird sense..

3.4ghz e6300 is reported as 1.4ghz

and my xbench went from 208 to 81.00 and alot of the cpu scores dropped..

very odd..

You didn't set correct FSB. Just edit your boot.plist like below:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>fsb=xxx</string>

Where xxx=your over-clocked FSB

p.s. The default FSB of 8.9.1 kernel is 200, that's why it shows up as 1.4GHz

Bruce

yeah thats what i ended up doing.. set the fsb not to 1/4 of the fsb , but the full fsb of 486

and that worked..

fsb=xxx...in fact, the xxx is the external CPU frequency, the FSB for C2D CPU is 4 X external CPU frequency. And the CPU speed is external CPU frequency X CPU multiplier which the default for E6600 is 9. Guess Apple don't study PC well. :P

Bruce

this update fails bigtime for me!!

None of the two kernels work and I have to repair my disks to get OS X working again.

So this is a no go for me.

I'm running 8.8.1 kernel fine on 10.4.9 but the 8.9.1 just keeps rebooting my system.

Anyone have an idea or solution for this?

Downloaded, installed without any trouble, did not need the loginwindow.pkg.

Have to set up the fsb=166 after the first restart, because system was very slow... (m System have FSB667),

SMB/CIFS works only after patch with attached SMB/Cifs/afp patcher.

No problems at all...

Thanks JaS!

Rene