Greatest Mac in History

Swad

182 posts in this topic

Our newest Great Debate really needs no introduction: What's the greatest Mac in Apple's history?

Since we want an actual debate and not just statements like "I like this one better," here's a list of possible criteria for your position:

* Most revolutionary within Apple

* Most revolutionary within industry

* Best selling

* Most technically advanced for the day

* Best industrial design

* Best reviews

* Best overall quality

* Best OS for the time

Let the debate begin!

Id have to say OSX was the biggest thing for apple, because it was the begining of the new era and the switch from system to bsd core and of course the bigest switch, the switch from ppc to x86.... :o

and for the most revolutionary, the lisa, first consumer computer with gui, and first computer with mouse.

but for apple in general, the iPod, its the thing that brought apple to many users pockets, even pc users who would never consider apple. as you can see i dont know much else about apple history....

agree:

mac os X itself was the giant leap, olddays' G3s were become more powerful cos of it, better virtual memory management and such.

regarding hardware.. i think the very first macintosh was the true revolution of computing, the first home computer completely designed around a "GUI way of life".

the mac mini its the only intel mac without the flaws when it first came out :) :)

for the best selling i'd say the ipod just go look at the top sellers at the apple store

(not a mac but close enough :) )

also this shouldn't be for the greatest mac it should be for apple products. they did drop "computer" from their name

Edited by mac-mini

Any Intel Based Mac because when Steve Jobs switched from power pc to X86 it really made me want to own a mac because it gave the great products that apple produces the capabilty to really bridge the gap between usablity and style

Id have to say OSX was the biggest thing for apple, because it was the begining of the new era and the switch from system to bsd core and of course the bigest switch, the switch from ppc to x86.... :mellow:

and for the most revolutionary, the lisa, first consumer computer with gui, and first computer with mouse.

but for apple in general, the iPod, its the thing that brought apple to many users pockets, even pc users who would never consider apple. as you can see i dont know much else about apple history....

I agree with all that, especially the iPod part, if it weren't for my iPod, I wouldn't be using a mac

If it was not for Finding OS X at first on Pear PC then running Native on PC via these forums id never have made the switch. Thanks, you turned me into a Mac Geek. And to Top it off I now cant Stand Windows / M$ and XBox360 Guys.. I had to get the upcoming Crisis Working on Vista just the other day even a Guy from the Dev team could not do it.... lol, all i had to do was rename a certain DX10 file to get it working, Dumb asses..

So I would be just a Little Biased if I said My MBP was the Best.. hehe.

Edited by itmandan

I think any G5 tower (intel or PPC, dual or single processor).

Regardless of what G5 tower you got, you have the greatest personal computer the world has ever known.

The expandability is ridicoulous. I always preferred Apple to PC (since my 2GS when I was very young) but we've never benn so blatently ahead of the game until the G5 towers came out.

When I saw the first commercial I thought my head was going to explode. I got mine over a year ago and still have a better computer than anyone I know.

I use external harddrives and plan on increasing the RAM every year or so , but I plan to have it for a very long time. (which says a lot in this day and age)

* :thumbsup_anim:

I think any G5 tower (intel or PPC, dual or single processor).

Regardless of what G5 tower you got, you have the greatest personal computer the world has ever known.

The expandability is ridicoulous. I always preferred Apple to PC (since my 2GS when I was very young) but we've never benn so blatently ahead of the game until the G5 towers came out.

When I saw the first commercial I thought my head was going to explode. I got mine over a year ago and still have a better computer than anyone I know.

I use external harddrives and plan on increasing the RAM every year or so , but I plan to have it for a very long time. (which says a lot in this day and age)

* :thumbsup_anim:

Mac Pro > PowerMac G5

It's hard to say the best of the whole history of Apple... Anyway: about the OS, I would say System 7... it was the most waited and a big jump from the 6. Sure, also the OS X, but it's someway "different". Greatest Mac, probably the Plus, then the iMac series that, with the iPod, pushed again the Apple in the middle of the ring. Historically, also the newton was a great idea, maybe too much before the time. Firsts powerbooks, with the trackball under keyboard, that was adopted from every Notebook after....

Mac Pro > PowerMac G5

I personally feel that PPC G5s are better than the MacPros. But that's debatable. I think it depends on the individuals situation. But I think a good generalization that everyone could agree on would be my prior post...- any type of G5 Tower

I'd say the Pismo for its expandability and multitude of upgrades.

Hell, Yeah. I didn't wanna mention only what I have ...but that's why I still keep one around. That thing is a workhorse and it's shell was so damn tough. Only problem with the Pismo is the power supplies suck. Mac had a recall on certain pismo powersupplies, but not on all of them. (and they ALL suck)

I have two pismos sharing only 1 power supply because it goes bad about every 9 months.

Other than that though, I've seen a few articles saying the Pismo was the best laptop ever. (any platform)

Also, I'd like to add as many have the importance of the iPod - by far the single most important piece of Mac anything ever made.

I absolutely love the Twentieth Anniversary Mac. It may not have cutting technology etc, but in 1997 it probably was totally different the plain beige boxes. Also it was one Mac that came with a Bose subwoofer and looked more like an Home entertainment device than anything else.

Other than that I love the MacPro and the Lampshade Mac a lot too.

I would have to say the Apple II, even though it's not really a Mac (But neither is Lisa, which was mentioned above). That machine was a godsend for our public school system, even years after Apple stopped selling them. It gave many kids (and myself) our first exposure to computers. It could withstand the beatings dished out by grade schoolers and could be connected to standard TVs. The insides were not difficult to work with and you could easily swap parts around if needed. If I had to pick the most influential computer of the early PC age, I would have a hard time picking between the Apple II and Commodore 64. The IBM PC and its clones were just too expensive and didn't catch on until far later. Without the II there never would have been a Mac or Lisa.

I'd have to say the G4 Cube. It was simply perfect!

+1 for the cube! :)

I hear a lot of talk around these parts of the need for an expandable micro desktop. I think Apple should resurrect the cube. Think about it. It would be just like the mini but with a desktop sized hard drive and dedicated graphics card. All of which would be easily accessible to users.

Yep I agree with the cube too!

It was just an amazing design, there was no noise!

If Apple would build a Cube with an Intel processor I would buy it!

I love my cube (hm ok a bit modded; Geforce 6200, 1 GB Ram, Sonnet 800 Mhz CPU) :) and never would give it away!!

cYa ~Neo