Help me decide

9 posts in this topic

Trying to decide between this this. or the current 2GHZ core2duo white macbook. The last gen Macbook pro is about 130 more than I can get the macbook for after student discount. Is it worth it?

Either way, I plan on upgrading the ram in either later on to 2 gigs. So really, it comes down to is the processor trade off (and slightly more money) worth the better video card and the bigger screen? Is there anything else I'm over looking?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any tips you can offer.

Edited by sandman32

well... if you play any games or use 3d apps, the macbook would not be the way to go, im not sure the cpu in the last gen mbp is, but if its core2duo as well even if a little slower or even a core (teh difference is core has no x64 extentions) i would go for hte mbp unless you want to run an x64 os such as xp x64, although after thinking about it i doubt there would be any x64 drivers..... so probably the mbp, but it would help to know what you use it for.

if you are a student then i would suggest the regular macbook, i have a macbook pro c2d and i take okay care of it but it has many little dents on it and now the latches dont work so the notebook wont close at all, on a regualr macbook its a magnet so no worries there. just depends on what you are doing on it and how you will take care of it too

I'm mostly just going to use to it for normal computing stuff, either one is probably over kill for me really. My wife is the student, I'll be taking it on business trips when I go out of town.

I'm gone for upto two weeks at a time, so sitting in a place I don't know with a laptop basically allows me to kill time. Mostly do some work on my website, some photo editing, internet browsing and email. So I guess, really the macbook would be fine? If I had the mbp I might do some gaming while I'm stuck with nothing to do in a strange place.

I guess what I'm really curious is, how big is the drop off from a 2.0ghz core2duo to a 2.0ghz coreduo?

I'm willing to pay the price difference to get the bigger screen, and better graphics card. But if the processor is really that much better in the macbook then I'm not going to sweat it. Thanks guys.

well the main thing is power consumption the Core 2 Duo uses less power over the Core Duo so basically more battery life!

and the L2 cache is a plus too 2MB over 4MB either than that, doing the stuff you mentioned..i don't think you'll notice a lot of difference in speed, they'll both suite you..

check this out, it'll answer all your questions..

Thanks maca1 that was a very interesting article. I've decided to go with the macbook instead of the pro. I thought about it and I'm not going to game on it, and either will do what I want.

Going to pick it up today! My first Mac (besides the hackintosh that led to this point) I'm excited!