system 7 on pc?

Lkr

34 posts in this topic

Actually there was the infamous Star Trek project that was successful as in they got System 7 to boot on a regular PC along with Quicktime etc. It was abandoned and all that is left is 1 harddrive of the data. Even now noone knows where it is. Dont bother searching for it as its been gone for at least 10 years.

Star Trek

BasiliskII can run Mac OS 0.x-8.1, depending on which ROM you're using. Performance is basically native speed, but a few apps do cause the emulator to crash.

It's available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Try it, it's great.

I just post my "emulation kit". I have so many different emulators with so many different versions of the Operating Systems and so many ROMs :o

I played with 68k and PPC emulators constantly for like 2 months.

• 1 month later...

How can I open a .dd file? A while back while my dad was working at a graphics firm, a colleage of his got a hold of a copy of a jaz disk that had a 300 mb .dd file on it and he claimed it was Mac os for PCs. Somewhere in my house that jaz disk exists, but i wonder if it was ever real. Wouldnt that be awesome. A new thing for the OSx86 freaks to tinker with.

Now i gotta find my old Jaz drive and taht disk and get my 6150 working again...

^^^Wrong on all 3.

Basilisk II will run 0.x to 8.1 68k binaries depending on the ROM file provided.

Sheepsaver will run from System 7 (PPC), to Mac OS 9.04 (After 9.04, a MMU was required, and Sheepsaver devs refused to include it, citing that it would hurt performance, and the added version number is unnecisary for the project)

PearPC will run many different flavors of other PPC OSes, quite well, in fact, as they're not as heavily optimized on specific CPU commands. (PPC linux and BSD run quite well in PearPC).

Well if anyone knows what a DD file is, i might be able to unarchive whatever this is. i got the file off (some 923 megs later) and dropped it on an old IDE HD and plugged that into my g4 and was able to get the "macosinteldemo.dd" off of it and its now sitting on the desktop of my mac mini. i tried stuffit and diskutility (i had a hunch dd was diskdoubler) and it was nogo. i doubt this is real, cause as far as i know, it only existed on some 5 or 6 specific intel pcs in cupertino. im going to bed, and if anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them.

Might it perhaps be a file you should use the "dd" command on? Open Terminal and check "man dd"

Seems you could use that command write your file to a partition and see what you get.

is uploading somewhere it idea enough for ya? :D

but yeah as mac-mini said its probably a dd file. Look for a deadmoo guide for using dd to copy that old image, adapt that to writing your image instead and put it to a partition, and see what comes from it. If that works right it should mount under osx86 no probs (i assume).

Exists any way to use a PPC emulator over wind*ws 98?

Sheepshaver crashes over NT 5.x systems and emulation over linux is too slow.

The reason: relive my crushed PB 5300 (i tried with my other powerbook, 3400c model and POOR PC! :blush: )

PD: im looking for a PPC version of BeOS. Who has it (for download or purchase in the worst of cases)?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How can I open a .dd file? A while back while my dad was working at a graphics firm, a colleage of his got a hold of a copy of a jaz disk that had a 300 mb .dd file on it and he claimed it was Mac os for PCs. Somewhere in my house that jaz disk exists, but i wonder if it was ever real. Wouldnt that be awesome. A new thing for the OSx86 freaks to tinker with.

Now i gotta find my old Jaz drive and taht disk and get my 6150 working again...

.dd was a common extension used by the Mac version of disk doubler. (compression software)

If you can find a copy of it for 68k you should be able to uncompress the file.

(Don't know any other programs that can.)

Edit: Apparently these macutils, (attached), can unpack these also. Although I haven't try, they might compile on OS X sicne they are command line UNIX based.

Edit 2: The Unarchiver, a mac based decompression program handle disk doubler format.

macutils.tar.gz

Oh my God... is that real? Keep that disk safe and start uploading the image. If you don't have a good connection for torrenting I'll cover the cost of mailing me a DVD with an image on it and I can get at least one computer seeding as soon as Demonoid is back up.