Hackitosh Vs. Macintosh

94 posts in this topic

Not everyone will find a use for eight cores, though. I'm not really sure there are even that many apps that make use of four. Apple really should release a mid-level Mac without a built-in display. That seems to be the primary reason a lot of people build Hackintoshes. The other major reason seems to be just the challenge of doing something they shouldn't be able to, and that Apple couldn't really do anything against. Sure they can make it harder to install their OS on non-Apple-branded systems and their lawyers could sue and take down sites like this one but all that'll accomplish is alienate the community. :(

8 cores are usefull when u make pro music... mixing and recording using virtual instruments etc...because u need to work in REALTIME!

I tried hackintosh only for one reason, Apple logic pro, then i discovered alot of reasons too...the os is so lovely, more safe internet surfing etc..

8 core macpro is still a dream for me because is expensive and because im not a pro and in reality my old p5w dh deluxe make his dirty work very well thnx also to a good Q6600 oc at 3 Ghz, thnx to my dsp uad cards.

I know that hackintosh = waste time to test, but i can get some free time to test then im ok with this philosophy, im in standby with those new cpus i7, then i will make my choice, i already own a macbook pro, and is awesome...but is wife use only, no music she like to use photoshop and aperture... heheh!

sorry for my bad english

8 cores are usefull when u make pro music... mixing and recording using virtual instruments etc...because u need to work in REALTIME!

I know that 8 cores do have their uses. Heck, I'm into a bit of video editing and an 8-core is barely enough for real-time HD encoding, nevermind the additional pre-processing. It's also pretty good for a virtualization server running a whole bunch of virtual machines. These aren't normal use scenarios, though and I highly doubt simple web browsing and email would require that much power. :hysterical:

The whole discussion of the value of the processor(s) on the Mac Pro is unfortunately moot when considering that we have no choice. If you're getting a Mac Pro, you're stuck with whatever they slap in it. That's why a Hackintosh is so attractive to so many people, because they aren't forced to fit into niches that leave no place for the majority of computer enthusiasts: mid-level machines that offer expandability and upgradeability. the iMac is the closest fit, with virtually 0 expandability or upgradeability (add USB or FireWire peripherals, or upgrade RAM... that's it).

First of all, because here (in Argentina) a PC cost 1/2 that a Mac !!!!

Macs here are TOO expensive....i cant buy a Mac and i love OS X, then i install OS X on my Pentium 4 PC.

Get a second hand one, as I did. Mine's a G5 1.8 running Leopard. It works fine. If you want a decent PC you have to pay much the same price as you do for a Mac anyway. At least I'm not having all the problems my friends and family are having with their cheap Windows machines.

For bragging rights to our other Mac friends that spent $$$ on their mac when we were able to install it on our regular PC's that is half the cost. :P

The PCs my friends are using that are "half the cost" are giving nothing but trouble. I'll stick to my old G5 thank you very much.

because macs cost too much in mexico and the unique dealer is telmex(i hate telmex :D ) and sells the mac about the double of cost, i want to buy one at the us but i wanted to test the os so thats why i installed osx on my pc (sorry of my bad english)

I've used Windows for years and never even thought of budging until i recently stopped gaming, this left my PC for only one use - Web Design, something i can do on Windows, Linux or OSX so i started to look elsewhere.

The main reason i went with OSX over Ubuntu to start with was due to the fact i can use Adobe Products on OSX, although im currently going to attempt to use alternatives if i can get away with it.

It always a nice little "play test" to see if i could get it going, but now that i have i dont think i will ever change back :S it just feels so much better.

because macs cost too much in mexico and the unique dealer is telmex(i hate telmex :thumbsup_anim: ) and sells the mac about the double of cost, i want to buy one at the us but i wanted to test the os so thats why i installed osx on my pc (sorry of my bad english)

Good luck buying from the States. It would cost me far too much to buy there. Not to mention my greedy government would add 12.5% GST (that's short for Grab Snatch Take, but for some reason the government gives it the euphemism goods and services tax) and customs duty as well. A decent Windows machine costs much the same as a Mac here and when I'm in Auckland I have to use my sister's Windows machine and I definitely do not like it.

2.to see if the video editing really was any better then what i could find on windows.

3.just to see if i could.

4.lack of choice in mac you have the mini, imac and the laptops all three are laptops basically. or buy the $3million dollar powermac. there is no middle ground black box that you can trade out hardware and stuff like any other OS.

QFT.

I decided to install the hackentosh mostly because i could. Aside from OSX not being that fault tolerant, it's no better than windows really, just more limited with what you can do and customise. Granted, i'm running an "illegal OS on unsupported hardware" which I assume is a great anti-theft device, but eh. I 'll use it for awhile until i have enough experience with it, then i'll leave it to rot on one of my drives somewhere. The only real thing that i see that OSX really has is final cut pro, but that's about it.

QFT.

I decided to install the hackentosh mostly because i could. Aside from OSX not being that fault tolerant, it's no better than windows really, just more limited with what you can do and customise. Granted, i'm running an "illegal OS on unsupported hardware" which I assume is a great anti-theft device, but eh. I 'll use it for awhile until i have enough experience with it, then i'll leave it to rot on one of my drives somewhere. The only real thing that i see that OSX really has is final cut pro, but that's about it.

Final Cut Pro isn't part of Leopard. It's an application. The nearest Windows equivalent would probably be Adobe Premiere. At least, that's what my Windows friends who need this sort of thing use. And BTW I'm having no problems with Leopard. It worked fine right from the start (10.5) even on my slow old G5.

I installed hackintosh just to see if I could.

Apparently, I could =)

I like the tinkering involved.

Still, this isn't my main OS, it's just a toy to play around with.

I also installed windows XP x32, windows XP x64 and SuSE 11 on this very computer which I also built myself.

I have two purpose-built Hackintoshes, that cost me bundles less than anything similar would from Apple.

I sold a 24" iMac for $1300, and for that price I built a gaming rig with *better* specs, a video card I can upgrade, and a 2" upgrade in monitor size. Everything works perfect - it dual-boots OS X and Vista just as easily as a real Mac Pro would. It even sleeps/suspends like normal. I can add a GHz (or more) of processor speed with a bus speed upgrade for cheap when I feel like it, or even go quad-core. I use this machine for 50% "work" (OS X w/Windows and/or Linux in VMWare Fusion) and 50% games (Windows). You can't upgrade at that granularity based on your needs with a Mac Pro, let alone do it for so cheap!

I built a Hackintosh file server w/4TB of usable storage in RAID-5 (with a hot spare standing by!) and put OS X on it (because I just don't want to mess with netatalk, etc.. I like back to my mac, mobileme, etc on ALL my computers) for about $1800. You can't even touch a Mac Pro, let alone an XServe, for $1800! I use it as a media box too - it has a USB IR receiver and I just use Front Row to watch computer-based media on it (hell, or browse the web on my TV).

For me (and I'm admittedly still a noob for osx86) it was an experiment: to see if I could take a lower end (now) laptop and get better performance for what I use it for (ProTools) on a different OS. I couldn't use Linux because of hardware limitations so that left OSX, an OS that has a version of ProTools available. Since it worked like a champ, I'm going to do some more Hackintoshing (as well as seeing if I can get a version of ProTools running in Linux under wine that the hardware actually functions in).

Oh yea, and because the look on peoples faces is PRICELESS when i boot into the MacOS on an Acer laptop. ;)

I've used a lot of Mac and now I'm tired with the marketing of Apple. :angry: Os release and hardware are changing too often , you need always to buy a new Mac if you want to have compatibility with last release software. Look, there is now some software who doesn't work with Tiger. And powerMac G5 who costed a lot will be no more supported in a few months. It's a shame !

Apple wins a lot of money with iPod and iTunes and Apple Users need to pay again and again.

Apple has used Unix to build OsX, made Bootcamp for sell Mac to Window user, release iTunes for Windows to sell iPod but we can't upgrade our Mac.

I've payed a lot of OSx license, upgraded my powerMac G4 with memory, hard disk, gigadesigns cpu and now what else ? I haven't money to buy a new computer, so I've just buy a motherboard and a cpu (half price of a mac mini !) , I've got always my OsX license and a "Apple labeled computer" (like it's written in MacOsX licence).

Hackintosh is a good way to protect rights of interoperability and consumers freedom in home computer.

And the future : Snow Leopard will use GPU to run faster ! But you can't change Graphic Card on Mac (except MacPro). So buy a new Mac ! And a iPhone...

I admittedly use a previous-gen BlackBook, and it's extremely awesome, but just to get this laptop with 4 GB of RAM and a 250 GB HD, it cost $2,500, and that's a bit expensive. I could get an equally-supplied desktop or even laptop running Windows or Linux for much, much less. To get my home into the 21st century, it would cost a lot more to buy two new Macs than to buy 2 new PCs. Thus, Hackintosh is an economical solution, provided the PC hardware can support OS X.

Also, I want to use Leopard at my school as well at home, but all of the computers at my school are PCs. ;) To be able to Leopardize my computing experience everywhere, I'd either have to bring in my Mac, which I would gladly do if my parents would let me, or I would bring a removable HD with a virtualized copy of OS X to use at school.

Apple is awesome, but their solutions for better computing need rethinking.

• 2 months later...

well for me it was simply because i am an student and as we all know students dont have much coin. i am going into 3 clases next year (4 months away) that are mac only computer classes. i have 2 PCs both of witch i love but i tryed Ubuntu witch was ok just lacking in the department of every day software thats click click installed.

im trying to get OSx86 10.5.6 to work on my Toshiba but its not going to hot. but i look at it this way

i don't have 2500 to spend on an Laptop if i had it it would be put into something more useful to me.

but with this said i do think hackentosh is a better way to go because its an lot cheaper to put together an PC then it is an mac.

and i will agree Apple needs the mid range 600-800 Notebooks and Desktops. the imac is kinda good for schools only becuse its just to compact to make it powerful and the Mac pro is an lot of $$$ that most people just don't have.

that's my opinion