Hackitosh Vs. Macintosh

94 posts in this topic

1.just to see if i could. i got tired of disto shopping and windows bored me.

2.to see if the video editing really was any better then what i could find on windows.

3.just to see if i could.

4.lack of choice in mac you have the mini, imac and the laptops all three are laptops basically. or buy the $3million dollar powermac. there is no middle ground black box that you can trade out hardware and stuff like any other OS.

5.just to see if i could.

6. lastly it's everything that linux has to offer but it's pretty. :)

7.oh, and just to see if i could.

I totally agree to all 7 points :-)

/JL

Well, I'm not using it yet. Right now I'm switching my mainboard, because LAN and Sound weren't supported.

I will use it because I'm totally disappointed from Vista, and even if I have a decent system, XP is getting awfully slow, perhaps because all the programs are using more RAM with every new release!

I can remeber wenn 512MB where more than sufficient for working and gaming.

So f*** Microsoft, but f*** Apple, too. They will never force me to buy a cpu from the devil! Why waste ressources? Okay, some stupid guy would buy my system on ebay, but I have the feeling things aren't the way they should be.

When they release OS X for PC, then I will convince all my friends and families to switch over.

I have it because it is faster than my friends macs :) I'll buy a mbp when i have money because i need a new laptop.

And the amusement of showing people who know nothing of mac how beautiful the os really is. And I like to get things supposedly not working to work.

for me basically the geek wow factor

i like to tinker with things, the whole point for me is that it doesn't just run out of the box

i could go and buy one but were is the fun in that? I run it on a spare SFF soltek box I had doing nothing and its a hobby

apple should love this, its made me consider getting one for my wife over the Vista box she is using now

I´ve use, Hackintosh because is faster than windows (in the same PC) and friendly than linux. I'll buy a real Mac because is expensive and I prefer to spent that money in better specs and a powerfull Video Card to run games and I love to play! (unfortunately just in windows! :thumbsup_anim: ).

1. Curiosity

I was curious if it really works. I've never seen or used OS X before, except what i saw in Apple store.

2. Price.

My Hackintosh (C2D 1.86@2.8Ghz/2gb Geil 800mhz/Gigabyte 965P-DS3/Galaxy Gf7900GS/Acer 22" 1680x1050/2x250GB Seagate/Nec DVD-RW usb/Logitech MX518/Ultra FlatX/Chieftec BH/450W) costs about a half what iMac 24" costs in Poland. It's easier and much cheaper to upgrade. Mac Pro is out of sight...

I understand it's a high quality product, but isn't it build from hardware made in china too? My PC hardware are not {censored} after all too.

3. Speed

My Hackintosh is much faster than iMac 24" either in CPU speed or in OpenGL.

After all i would buy iMac or Mac Pro if i had enough money... not only to buy it but also to upgrade it... No compatibility problems, great design, great lcd screens (24" in iMac is outstanding), clean conscience...

Been a Mac user since LC, still have a iBook around. But then just tried out the hackintosh on my IBM desktop, succeeded, and now I found no reason to move back to Windows. I will definitely get a desktop Mac, maybe next gen Mac Mini, but surely not Mac Pro though, hate that Apple force you to buy more expensive hardwares, especially the fully buffered RAM.

oh did i mention because it's free? XD

You can run Windows Vista "Free" as well.

Do you know why it's free? Because you're doing it illegally.

I bought two macs since I tried Hackintosh, and copurchased a third for a housemate.

It's teaching me things even I never knew about low level computing - a good thing.

It has more reliable hardware support than GNU/Linux.

It makes a far better TabletPC operating system than Windows.

It makes me compatible with a Physics building full of Macs.

It actually allows real use of intel's first decent Processor line, the Core chips.

You can run Windows Vista "Free" as well.

Do you know why it's free? Because you're doing it illegally.

Are you sure? From what I remember reading you if you purchase a copy of Mac OS you can install it on up to 5 machines. So couldnt that mean any of us who own a real mac could "legally" also have 4 hackintosh?

Are you sure? From what I remember reading you if you purchase a copy of Mac OS you can install it on up to 5 machines. So couldnt that mean any of us who own a real mac could "legally" also have 4 hackintosh?

You legally can't have a hackintosh, are you using the same Install DVD you purchased for your real mac on your hack? It won't simply work. So on basis of legality, you can't use your reasoning for having 4 other "legal" macs/hacks.

Working on a hack is still more productive than working under windows. I do get mac hardware to add the "functionality" of my hack, so I'm kinda supporting Apple too ^_^

I don't understand the people who say Macs are expensive, at least in the US. Try building one yourself on NewEgg or configuring one with Dell. I haven't checked in a couple weeks, but basically any one I could build that was cheaper than a Mac Pro used Dempsey Xeons instead of Woodcrests. Two 3GHz Woodcrests alone cost almost $1700, not to mention $400-500 for a motherboard. The problem is, as many have said, is Apple doesn't have a mid-range computer. The Mini isn't enough computer for me, and the Mac Pro is way too much. I don't need another monitor, and would like some expandability at least, so the iMac is out. Until Apple makes something in the middle, I'm going to stick with my 3.5 year old PowerBook and try to get my Hackintosh running well enough to use it daily.

You legally can't have a hackintosh, are you using the same Install DVD you purchased for your real mac on your hack? It won't simply work. So on basis of legality, you can't use your reasoning for having 4 other "legal" macs/hacks.

But if you own a legal install DVD you are not stealing, you are only in breach of EULA: a big difference. In the first case you could be prosecuted and go to prison, in the second Apple could sue you and in the worst case you must pay compensation (unlikely scenario)

Well, Apple's Mac OS X is the first software in my life that I really want to purchase 0=)

If I'll have enough money in short time, I'll prefer buying macbook pro.

It fully suits me. Otherwise I'll just buy Mac OS X official distro and will continue using my hackintosh =)

For me it won't be a piracy at all.

I just dislike the whole imac there a pain to upgrade and not much you can upgrade at that. so that leaves you with a heafty machine that i do not need and would never make it worth the price tag. not too mention you talk bout theres not much difference in price, 20inch imac isnt much better than what i got my dell for at 800 not including monitor tho so with that included 1000. 500 cheaper and upgrade parts are how much cheaper on a pc, and lastly you'd have to get external hd's which are also more pricy and less memory than internal. If they get a mid range mac desktop no question i'll sell this and get it tomarrow ;).

Well here in Egypt the prices of macs are much higher than the price of custom made PCs because of egypt's very tough customs (kind of like taxes for imports). The mac mini in Egypt costs about $1000 while costing only $500 in the US.

• 10 months later...

because like me, I cannot afford a Mac. I cant really afford a computer. but i work for a small computer shop. I can steal parts, without being noticed, and i stole two p5w DH deluxes, a Core 2 Duo for one and a P4 630 3.0 GHZ for the other, and took 4 gigs of ram, two for each machine. I also took Two ATI HD 2400s and I have two perfect Hackintoshes. About the only thing i Paid for was the cases and the monitors (22 inch LCD for one and 32 inch lcd for other). and i bought those on a credit card, so i really dont hvae to front the money, just pay my $10 a month forever lol. so for me I got two macs for the price of .... NOTHING. it really is a great deal. that'll teach my boss not to pay me for mileage.

• 2 months later...

Well back here in South Africa Macs are so expensive that I can build 4 Hackintoshes for the price of a Mac Pro, and they will runa almost as fast as the Mac Pro.

Im running a Hackintosh myself:

2.4 Core 2 Quad with 4 Gigs of Ram, 22" Wide Screen.

Built it for R6500.00(incl monitor) - whereas the Mac Pro Costs about R25000.00 (without the monitor).

BTW I charge R550 to install OSX in PC's - business has been good. ;)

because like me, I cannot afford a Mac. I cant really afford a computer. but i work for a small computer shop. I can steal parts, without being noticed, and i stole two p5w DH deluxes, a Core 2 Duo for one and a P4 630 3.0 GHZ for the other, and took 4 gigs of ram, two for each machine. I also took Two ATI HD 2400s and I have two perfect Hackintoshes. About the only thing i Paid for was the cases and the monitors (22 inch LCD for one and 32 inch lcd for other). and i bought those on a credit card, so i really dont hvae to front the money, just pay my $10 a month forever lol. so for me I got two macs for the price of .... NOTHING. it really is a great deal. that'll teach my boss not to pay me for mileage.

good for you.

I guess you paid for the screens because there are too big to walk away from the shop with them under your arms ? :blink:

And I hope for you that your boss has no Insanalymac.com bookmark on his computer. :dev:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: This is the BEST wind-up I have ever heard :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

O yes, this is your boss, consider yourself fired!

SticMAN

(come see me in my office so we can finalized the paperwork!!)

i have it cos i already have a pc and cannot afford a real mac here in poland. too expensive for me right now(im a student:D), but one day, if apple wont get to the point where m$ is(making one os to work on every kind of machine-sucks to me,yea yea linux works everywhere, but its developed by open team of programmers, not one company like windogz:P) i will go to the apple store and buy a mac. thats for sureapart from that i wanted to just give it a try, you know to challenge myself if i'm able to do it, and now i switched permanently to mac. btw, i'm sure that here on the forum there are many "apple" people, but doing nothing, why? the best and free advertisement campaign to osx they could get. 10 of my friends installed osx on their pcs after seeing it working good on my pc. sure, its not the full mac experience, but good starting point for those of us without a money for a real mac or tired of BSOD's and such.thanks

hahahah just felt from my chair mate:P gonna find a job in computer store:P

Just to let you know that if your boss does not pay you for mileage that youuse on your own personal vehicle, that you can always claim it on your Taxes. Last I check, I believe that it was close to 50 cents a mile. I hope this helps. God Bless :D