Hackitosh Vs. Macintosh

94 posts in this topic

Ok.. I wanted to open a thread to talk about the reasons why people use hackintosh over just going and buying a mac. Isn't it a complete pain in the ass to run Mac software on a PC? Yes, I commend all of you who took the time to figure out how to do it.. but why didn't you just buy a Mac?

Just a question. Don't assult me for asking. I just think it will be interesting to get view points from all angles.

I agree with Schweppes. A PC is simply cheaper and many people already have one just standing around doing nothing. In other words, using windows :thumbsup_anim:

I will consider buying a real mac when I have the money though.

hecker

Edited by hecker

Got other things to spend my money on - like renovating my house. Now I've tried OS X (never saw Apple hardware/ software in 15 years of working in IT, British Universitys favour PC clusters and plenty of helpdesk/ support people), I'm buying an iMac when the new revisions/ Leo come out, thanks to JaS, Mifki, Semthex etc excellent advertising work...

Edited by The Baron

For me it's because the Mac Mini has no slots, uses expensive memory and a notebook hard drive. I don't like being tied to integrated displays either so the iMac is out. If Apple made a Mac Semi-Pro with a couple of slots and a 2ghz C2D I'd be all over it. They have no mid-range units so I have to shop elseware.

I already had a decent machine running Windows, so no reason to just put it in the corner just to buy a new Mac Pro with money I don't have. So I just loaded it with OS X instead.

So yeah, the reason is because I already have hardware that works. In fairness, I do have a Mini and MBP though.

It is a pity that there is no mid-range non-screened Mac though. I have a 23" cinema display and would LOVE a machine faster than the mini, but not as monsterous as the Pro.

1.just to see if i could. i got tired of disto shopping and windows bored me.

2.to see if the video editing really was any better then what i could find on windows.

3.just to see if i could.

4.lack of choice in mac you have the mini, imac and the laptops all three are laptops basically. or buy the $3million dollar powermac. there is no middle ground black box that you can trade out hardware and stuff like any other OS.

5.just to see if i could.

6. lastly it's everything that linux has to offer but it's pretty. ;)

7.oh, and just to see if i could.

I agree that Mac needs a "Semi-Mac Pro". Something that isn't 2500 that runs 4 chips. They should get release a mid range computer without a display. I personally own a MacBook Pro core duo, and love it. But I'd love to have a home computer thats not a PC for my wife. She loves the apple software. I was thinking about installing Hackintosh on it.. but I guess I never did. I also looked at mac mini, but it doesn't seem like its enough of a machine for home.. I've kind of been waiting for the 8 core mac pro. I figure if I spend the coin on that it should last me quite a while..

Maybe i'll start playing around with hackintosh on her PC.

--

I don't think that Mac is really that much more expensive. They use quality parts, and high end tech. As far as the memory comment that someone made, if you buy ram from online stores you can get it much much cheeper then from Mac. If you built a PC as crazy as one of the Mac Pro's, I'm sure you would spend close to the same cash on a the PC.

Edited by MacVertigo

Because Hackitosh is free, and is fast, I build a Dell Precision 380 works with 10.4.8 everything works so nice except sound. It was even faster than my AMD 4000+ Raid0. I rather use Mac instead of Windows now. I do lots of work in Linux/Unix side, so this really helps. My Macbook Pro also kicks ass. So gotta love Mac, gotta love Hackitosh.

Im agree with there is no MIDDLE RANGE Mac to choice, the MacPro is very expensive.

Here in Argentina the price of an iMac is 2000 dollars, double than the price in USA !!!!

All models are too expensive, except MacMini, that is not enough powerful for my job.

i'm not seeing price as a factor, unless you you live in Argentina maybe.

i sunk nearly $800 into my hacNtosh that is close to the cost of the highest end macmini.

considering the cost of the OS and ilife it's not that far off. granted mine can kick the {censored} out of a mini, but the mini is legal.

IF mac would sale a sub-powermac or sale osX with real support for hardware i wouldn't see that much difference in price.

Hacking it to run IS the point.

Asking hackers the point of hacking is like asking an artist why he paints. The love of the activity itself is the point. Is it a pain in the ass? Yes, in the same way that a good crossword puzzle is. Again, that is the point.

Apple has done a great job of making an architecture and an operating system where things "just work." Unfortnately, it has created / attacted a culture of users who have no idea about the joys of scripting or programming, much less hacking.

If you are a human, perhaps this has enlightened you. If you are a troll, please just go away.

Because I have owned a few Macs and -

I don't like to support the forced propriety of Apple

I can get a "hackintosh" with more features/speed with FAR less money

I have no intention to use OSX more than 10% of the time

I have owned a Mac Mini G4 - liked it to learn a bit about OSX, then an iMac G5 20" - was a great machine, however after the Intel switch I sold it because I guessed not really working fine when every new program is for Intel.

Then started with OSX for X86 and it was fun, sold my grafix card to get better OSX support, sold creative audio card because no support bought more Ram.

Now have a fine machine with Vista, XP and OSX all are quite fast with my X2 and 4GB Ram, will keep it till I have some more money for a quad cpu system.

Bought my for Xmas a Macbook pro, refurbished to save some money, yes nice and fast just to have something to carry with me when visiting family, friends...

Here it's all working without any stress almost out of the box - OK some pro applications need some tweaking but all updates run fine.

I'd like to get a sort of Macpro with less power but upgradeable in the range from € 1000 - 1200.-

I use a hackintosh simply because I cant afford buying a whole new dammned computer...even if they look cool. Plus this computer holds memories and functions just fine.

oh did i mention because it's free? XD

I do however need some help. I cant get the files of the macosx becasue of damned rapidshare are there any other links to cracked install files? or something...