GBK.Xscape

21 posts in this topic

Other than the fact that I am married to a Persian, so I don't care for your comment. I understand what you meant though. Anyway, the movie does look very good and its doing very well in the box office. Though I will have to see it when it comes out or just download it.

Dice :)

iran =/= persia

not entirely anyway.. persia encompassed parts of iran, iraq, and a couple other countries in that area... and of course, the persian empire pretty much swallowed 90% of the countries north of the mediterranian

i thought it was very propogandaish. the last speech really outlined it as being very america v. middle east. the action was good, but the dialogue sucked. and what the hell was up with all those wierd-deformed-huminoid things?

No matter what u guys say, I loved the movie. I did not see the movie from any "angle" or "perspective" and really didnot find any "propagandas" or "america v. middle east" things.

I enjoyed the movies for its action, the cinematography and for the direction. I loved the way the movie turned out and the ending sequence was nice too. My favorite parts were the fighting and the battle sequences.

Overall it was awesome.

Dicenet - does your wife speak Farsi?

Haven't seen the flick yet, but I've heard great things - will probably see it soon!

She speaks some, I speak a little bit, her dad speak Farsi and Arabic he was born in Iran.

Dice :)

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!11one

Just about everyone I know has seen it, but I haven't been close to a mall lately to go see it. :thumbsup_anim:

One of my friends described it as 'EPIC'. I'm assuming the general forum population is in agreement with that. :thumbsup_anim:

I agree that it was a great movie, having finally watched it. I'm not sure if it was "epic" or not, nor was I terribly impressed with the whole historical basis (Sparta wasn't really a place I'd root for, based on historical accounts)...

...but yeah, the movie rocked. Great fight scenes.

• 2 weeks later...
i thought it was very propogandaish. the last speech really outlined it as being very america v. middle east. the action was good, but the dialogue sucked. and what the hell was up with all those wierd-deformed-huminoid things?

There is no "message". This isn't a propaganda piece. The movie is nearly identical to the comic, which itself is based off of an actual military conflict (with some artistic liberties taken, of course). Calling it propaganda or saying that its meant to inspire anti-Iranian sentiments is absurd.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed this movie a lot. The fight scenes were clean and crisp throughout the film. The effects were brilliant and the storyline was easy to follow. I really enjoyed this film and I definatly think it is the film of the year. It makes me want to read the comics :)

There is no "message". This isn't a propaganda piece. The movie is nearly identical to the comic, which itself is based off of an actual military conflict (with some artistic liberties taken, of course). Calling it propaganda or saying that its meant to inspire anti-Iranian sentiments is absurd.

Are you freaking kidding ;) Beefcake european facists vs. degenerate asian horde - from dah dah Iran... Artistic Liberties my arse, what's with the immortals; I'm not sure where the Persian empire found freaking Orcs. And, all the BS speeches about free Greeks etc -at the time Laconia (Sparta is a city, Laconia was the state) was subjugating most of Greece and relied on a large serf / slave population to support their military. My favourite gag was when Leonidas refers to Athens as a bunch of boy lovers - this from a king whose state fined adult males who had not taken a boy as a regular lover, theory being you'd fight better for your boy friend.

All in all. a very pretty movie, right up there with Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will. It was probably the best comedy I had seen all year.

Are you freaking kidding :P Beefcake european facists vs. degenerate asian horde - from dah dah Iran... Artistic Liberties my arse, what's with the immortals; I'm not sure where the Persian empire found freaking Orcs. And, all the BS speeches about free Greeks etc -at the time Laconia (Sparta is a city, Laconia was the state) was subjugating most of Greece and relied on a large serf / slave population to support their military. My favourite gag was when Leonidas refers to Athens as a bunch of boy lovers - this from a king whose state fined adult males who had not taken a boy as a regular lover, theory being you'd fight better for your boy friend.

All in all. a very pretty movie, right up there with Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will. It was probably the best comedy I had seen all year.

hmmm where do you get this information that Spartans were taxed for not being {censored}....

hmmm where do you get this information that Spartans were taxed for not being {censored}....

LOL, undergrad classics papers. As I recall the epheros had the power to fine men that did not form an attachment to a youth(s), the idea was that mentoring relationships needed to be formed to bond the society. There was a lot of argument between researchers about whether this relationships were chaste or not, however; given that references to homosexual relationships (cf Spartans) by contemporary sources are especially numerous, and given that it was a common practice in other Greek states, I think that's been pretty much settled - pederasty just wasn't a big deal in Doric Greece. If I remember correctly, they only frowned at full on sodomy, which makes sense as the boys picked up their "mentors" at ages 7~12 and you didn't want too many ruptured anuses in the days before antibiotics.