Mac Pro Hackintosh

zapro

42 posts in this topic

Hi Zapro,

I've been observing your work with the MacPro hackintosh on your blog website. I'm thoroughly impressed, and I'm very thankful that you've put up this guide. I've been following your pictures to take apart the case. One thing you should mention about that case is that if you intend to take out the fan grill (the one that goes in between the powersupply and optical drives), you should alert others that it is rather difficult to get out. Also, it's impossible to remove that piece without bending it to the point of no return. Other than that, your pictures were very helpful as to the disassembling of the case.

I plan on going with the same motherboard as you currently have in your "MacPro" (Intel D975XBX2 BadAxe2), and I have a couple of questions (particularly dealing with the Front Panel):

1) How did you manage to use the SATA cable to hook up the USB? Which wires/pins from the SATA did you solder to the USB header connector's pins/wires?

I know that an SATA cable has 7 pin connectors (#1: Ground, #2: A+, #3: A-, #4: Ground, #5: B-, #6: B+, #7: Ground), but the front panel has 9 pins (see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/.../CS-009048.htm).

2) How did you manage to connect the front panel audio to the motherboard front panel audio header? Which wires from the provided Apple audio cable did you connect to the

As seen on another forum article (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=40478&hl=mac+pro+front+panel), you show the layout of the MacPro front panel board (#1: Sense, #2: Ground, #3 Left Channel, #4: Right Channel, #5: Cable Shielding (Ground)). The motherboard's front panel audio header (see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/.../cs-015851.htm) has 10 pins (#1: Microphone Left Channel, #2: Ground, #3: Microphone Right Channel, #4: Presence#, #5: Headphone Right Channel, #6: Sense_1Return, #7: Sense_Send, #8: Key (Connector Key), #9: Headphone Right Channel, #10: Sense2_Return).

3) How did you connect the mini 8-pin connector from the original MacPro front panel to either the motherboard or powersupply? (Please specify which one you actually connect the modified cable to: motherboard or the powersupply).

If you could provide me with this information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

1) How did you manage to use the SATA cable to hook up the USB? Which wires/pins from the SATA did you solder to the USB header connector's pins/wires?

I know that an SATA cable has 7 pin connectors (#1: Ground, #2: A+, #3: A-, #4: Ground, #5: B-, #6: B+, #7: Ground), but the front panel has 9 pins (see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/.../CS-009048.htm).

2) How did you manage to connect the front panel audio to the motherboard front panel audio header? Which wires from the provided Apple audio cable did you connect to the

As seen on another forum article (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=40478&hl=mac+pro+front+panel), you show the layout of the MacPro front panel board (#1: Sense, #2: Ground, #3 Left Channel, #4: Right Channel, #5: Cable Shielding (Ground)). The motherboard's front panel audio header (see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/.../cs-015851.htm) has 10 pins (#1: Microphone Left Channel, #2: Ground, #3: Microphone Right Channel, #4: Presence#, #5: Headphone Right Channel, #6: Sense_1Return, #7: Sense_Send, #8: Key (Connector Key), #9: Headphone Right Channel, #10: Sense2_Return).

3) How did you connect the mini 8-pin connector from the original MacPro front panel to either the motherboard or powersupply? (Please specify which one you actually connect the modified cable to: motherboard or the powersupply).

If you could provide me with this information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi David.

Thank you for the nice words :-)

Yes, i will add a note to my site regarding the fan grille, that it's nearly impossible to remove this fan grille. I whacked the hell out of it to get it out. it was pretty difficult.

It's amazing how many questions i get regarding the SATA-plugs :-)

I guess i will have to make a new USB-cable soon and take pictures of the process just for my viewers here :-O

Said shortly, i just disassembled a standard SATA-cable of the Molex-brand. The plug is two-part. The actual "plug" part has the black cap moulded on. i cut this up in the side, and inside, there is some hot melt glue i removed with a knife.

I needed a cable usable for USB communication, with 8 wires, i used a cable i had laying around (standard USB - MiniUSB Cable) i cut in half. I mounted this in the yellow connector in my pictures. Power (+ 5 Volts) is NOT connected, as the front USB plugs get their power directly from the Power Supply (Good thought Apple!)

Inside the SATA-connector there is seven solder points. The leftmost, rightmost and center is ground, i connected the USB cable ground and screen mesh to these. The remaining four pins is USB Data+/-. I can't really remember what was + and -, but nothing bad will happen if you swap them, so just reverse them if the USB device isn't detected.

I am not using onboard audio, as it is very bad in my opinion. I am using USB sound card for audio in/out.

Anyway, if you want to use onboard audio and route it out to the front panel phones plug, measure the connections with a multimeter. I can't remember right now what connections i used. The pinout for the plug on the motherboard is described in the manual.

The mini-molex connector (8 pins) is connected to both the Power supply and the motherboard.

all power pins and ground is routed to the Power supply, and power-led, and pwr-on is connected to the motherboard. i can take a picture of these plug later, as i'm not home right now, writing this.

Regards, Per.

Hi ,

I took inspiration from zapro to work on mac Pro case , Few modications so you can make even better use of the case.

I am just briefly mentioning some of it .Will post picture and Guide later with Pictures.

1. I cut the platform where power supply and Optical drive sits in such a way so that can use 4 Hard Drives.

2. for front panel I just connected 9 to 6 pin firewire adapter so easy clean simple connection to motherboard

3. for usb I just connected sata cable connector to front panel, Cut the other end of cable, attached with extra usb cable plug cable (plug remains intact)comes with all motherboards , covered with heat shrink tube , nice strong safe connection. In sata cable I just used four white insulated cables , Each pair for one usb, data - & data + no need to use Gr or 5+ cable as front panel already supplying Gr and power .

( this Zapro already mentioned)

As I am using ASUS P5W DH motherboard sound in and out and optical working.

4.Some how ASUS P5W DH back panel very well suited for mac pro back panel (I love this part of mod the most)

For Both Ehternet and four USB I just little bit filed the back panel openings So able to use use all without cutting case , Looks beautiful too :)

Hi ,

I took inspiration from zapro to work on mac Pro case , Few modications so you can make even better use of the case.

I am just briefly mentioning some of it .Will post picture and Guide later with Pictures.

1. I cut the platform where power supply and Optical drive sits in such a way so that can use 4 Hard Drives.

2. for front panel I just connected 9 to 6 pin firewire adapter so easy clean simple connection to motherboard

3. for usb I just connected sata cable connector to front panel, Cut the other end of cable, attached with extra usb cable plug cable (plug remains intact)comes with all motherboards , covered with heat shrink tube , nice strong safe connection. In sata cable I just used four white insulated cables , Each pair for one usb, data - & data + no need to use Gr or 5+ cable as front panel already supplying Gr and power .

( this Zapro already mentioned)

As I am using ASUS P5W DH motherboard sound in and out and optical working.

4.Some how ASUS P5W DH back panel very well suited for mac pro back panel (I love this part of mod the most)

For Both Ehternet and four USB I just little bit filed the back panel openings So able to use use all without cutting case , Looks beautiful too ;)

Can you please post some pic's? (or e-mail some to me at awh1@bigpond.com) Here's a quick photo of the rear of mine.

th_MacProRearPSU.jpg

I'm particularly interested in make the Mac Pro's front panel connections work (power switch, USB's and headphone jack).

Hi Zapro,

What's the USB-Soundcard you are using for Line-in?

Thank you!

Hi skn.

The USB sound card i am using for input is one just like this: http://kortlink.dk/ebay/43kc

For audio out i am using this: http://icrontic.com/articles/audiotrak_optoplay

It gives excellent sound.

The onboard sound on the Intel motherboard is so bad that i don't want to bother with it at all!

// Per.

Thank you Zapro!!!

I want it for Skype usage.

By the way, is it necessary to install any extra drivers for OSX?

No drivers needed as it's Standard USB Sound device supported by OS X.

// Per.

• 6 months later...