Mac OS X entry in Vista bootloader not working

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone out there - i hope that you will be able to help me out here.

I have been playing around with a dual boot setup with vista and mac os x 10.4.8 Jas'ed.

I followed this guide: http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/12/...ot-on-intelamd/ on how to do it and everything went perfect until the very last step - getting the dual booting to work.

My problem is that when i boot i get the vista bootloader menu (which is just perfect), but when i chose to boot from "Mac OS X" the screen turns black (flashing a bit) and swiftly returns to the main menu. If i chose to boot from Vista i works like a charm.

Why does the Mac OS X entry not work, i followed all the steps, also the bcdedit ones, and got no errors during the entire process.

Please help me out :P

Hi everyone out there - i hope that you will be able to help me out here.

I have been playing around with a dual boot setup with vista and mac os x 10.4.8 Jas'ed.

I followed this guide: http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/12/...ot-on-intelamd/ on how to do it and everything went perfect until the very last step - getting the dual booting to work.

My problem is that when i boot i get the vista bootloader menu (which is just perfect), but when i chose to boot from "Mac OS X" the screen turns black (flashing a bit) and swiftly returns to the main menu. If i chose to boot from Vista i works like a charm.

Why does the Mac OS X entry not work, i followed all the steps, also the bcdedit ones, and got no errors during the entire process.

Please help me out :P

try easybcd

Well i did install easybcd but dont really know what to correct or change with it :P

The Mac OS X installation is on the same physical harddrive as the vista installation and Macs partition is also a primary partition. I did the bcdedit steps, but not working as stated

Edited by lazer

Noone was able to help, but i found the root of evil in this. Simply the chain0 file has to be entered case sensitive. So it DOES matter if the file is called CHAIN0 or chain0. Mind that!

What a stupid mistake to do - DUH ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am at the same point, modified the CHAIN0 file in c:/ of Vista to chain0 and still getting the same result. After selecting OSX86 option I get black screen briefly and then it reverts back to the option screen.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

TechRuss: Its working, you just cant see it. The OSX bootloader by default tries to boot the active partition which happens to be Vista. You need to put a wait time on the Darwin bootloader. Since you are "stuck" right now unable to edit the file try mashing f8 like mad as soon as you select OSX from the Vista boot loader.

• 2 weeks later...

Using f8 got me into OSx86, thanks for that. How do I go about putting a wait time on the Darwin bootloader? Will that fix it so I don't have to press f8 anymore to get into my mac os?

I am searching the forums can't find any info just yet, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly you need to add this to com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernal Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s2</string>

... replacing "disk0s2" with your disk identifier if it differs of course.

However it doesn't work for me, nor for the source I got it from: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...he_boot_options

It seems to work for some people, so it might be worth a try.