New Guy Alert

3 posts in this topic

Heyas!

Just dropping a quick decloaking note to say "Hi! I'm new here".

So hi. I'm new here.

A bit about myself - I'm a switcher. Back in the OS 9 and prior you couldn't get me to touch a mac - I was profoundly anti-mac in life. I clung to the joke "I was going to make my next computer a mac, but Toys R Us was closed." So as a college student I lived an anti-mac lifestyle. When I got a full time job at another college they decided to make me "The Mac Guy" because I was the only one who had any unix experience and OS X was just debuting.

It was a little tricky for me at first, but really I enjoyed it. I also liked having this "Forbidden knowledge" that noone else had ;). With each new release of 10.x I fell more in love. I got a 12" powerbook that I was initially really disappointed with because of it's size - but after carrying it a while, I didn't want to go with anything larger. the 12" PB was the size and weight of a textbook and make it a blast to carry around in my shoulder bag at work and grad school. Eventually I reluctantly accepted a 13" MacBook for a project - and then switched to a 15" MacBook pro because the 13" wasn't powerful enough for my needs. (I'm working on a switch/ virtulization project where we gave some MBs to faculty members - who prefer windows - with parallels to see how they use them)

I'm also a pretty big gamer so while my mac became my prefered tool at work, I always kept a PC at home to game with. I did manage to get my sister to switch to a mac laptop for gradschool - and I replaced my mothers ailing old PC with a mac because 1) I got tired of fixing and monkeying with it all the time and 2) It's a much easier and intuitive interface for her to use. She no longer calls me with problems - but calls me to tell me what new trick she has learned.

Anyways - back to gaming - I installed Company of Heroes (which is pretty hardware intensive) on my MBP and it plays quite nicely. This was my last excuse for holding out with my PC - so I think when the time comes, I'm going totally mac and replacing my PC with a 24" iMac (I'd love a Mac Pro - but they are really too spendy for me). An interesting comparison - when I got the game, I first installed it on my PC - and it didn't run because my video drivers were out of date - so the game took about 15 minutes to install, then another 10 minutes to dowlonad and update my video drivers which caused me a whole bunch of other problems which ultimately took another 45 minutes. I installed it under XP on my laptop and totaly time to get the game running was 15 minutes (to be fair, it was a fresh install of XP - so everything was updated and the drivers were the latest provided by apple - but still, as a guy who works in IT I found it really interesting how painless everything was - even with windows)

I can't see why I'd want to carry any other piece of hardware - since I can run OSX which does just about everything I want nicely, I can run XP really well under boot camp and should I decide I can set up a few other virtual machines for software development and to just monkey with.

So that is me in a large nutshell.

Cheers!