Little Help on deciding what to buy.

2 posts in this topic

I have a high end gaming pc at home which I am currently on, and the idea is that i tried to run hackintosh (native and with VMware and it just wont work) I am a big fan of mac and I relised i made a stupid mistake wen i dropped 4000 on this pc because i could of gotten a macpro for probably cheaper and better specs.

I am a student, but i am still in high school. I am in grade 12. Im going off to university next year and hoping i can get in on that student discount package, but im not sure how it works exactly. Can some one explain. I live in Canada Ontario.

I am hoping to get a laptop but the macbook pro. But I am going to wait till summer because i still have to pay this on off by August and then I want to purchase a mac.

If I buy a low spec laptop, with the highest processor offered. How easy is it to open it up and install my own ram.? because ram is expensive for a laptop through apple.

Anyadvice, will the price on the laptops drop in the summer with the new onces on its way or ? any suggestions.

I am also looking in to the mac pro but if 8core is coming out will it be same price roughly as the quad core, and will the quad core drop in price.

-Basicly i want an either laptop so i can upgrade specs on my own if possible, or a high end mac pro but aswell id like to be aple to upgrade ram and video card.

Here is alittle about me.

I am speciallizing in 2D and 3D Animation - Flash and 3D Studio Max 9 aswell as Maya 8.5

Need to run = Flash, Max 9, Maya, Photoshop. those are the major onces.

Looking for a good workstation then a gaming machine. This Pc will go to parents once i get a mac.

What one would u think im better of with.

Thanks.

Edited by Xplicit

I have a high end gaming pc at home which I am currently on, and the idea is that i tried to run hackintosh (native and with VMware and it just wont work) I am a big fan of mac and I relised i made a stupid mistake wen i dropped 4000 on this pc because i could of gotten a macpro for probably cheaper and better specs.

I am a student, but i am still in high school. I am in grade 12. Im going off to university next year and hoping i can get in on that student discount package, but im not sure how it works exactly. Can some one explain. I live in Canada Ontario.

Check this out.

If I buy a low spec laptop, with the highest processor offered. How easy is it to open it up and install my own ram.? because ram is expensive for a laptop through apple.

Anyadvice, will the price on the laptops drop in the summer with the new onces on its way or ? any suggestions.

You can get pretty cheap RAM @ Newegg and OWC.

I am also looking in to the mac pro but if 8core is coming out will it be same price roughly as the quad core, and will the quad core drop in price.

Since apple is going to keep selling both quad & "octo" pro's.. I don't think they'll drop the price. There's always a chance of that happening..but I guess we'll have to just sit tight and wait for it..

-Basicly i want an either laptop so i can upgrade specs on my own if possible, or a high end mac pro but aswell id like to be aple to upgrade ram and video card.

the main question is, what you want..and how much are you willing to spend for it? since you're a student I'd suggest a laptop. But then you get pretty much stuck when wanting to upgrade it.

I am speciallizing in 2D and 3D Animation - Flash and 3D Studio Max 9 aswell as Maya 8.5

Need to run = Flash, Max 9, Maya, Photoshop. those are the major onces.

Here i'd go for a mac pro, basically because the applications you've mentioned are almost always improving which automatically demands more of your computer on the long run and with a mac pro you won't have difficulties upgrading the machine..

What one would u think im better of with.

that's basically a question you should ask no one either than yourself. it's your money and your choice. the only thing we can do is give you the ups & downs of these machines, but in the end..you're the one stuck with it.

You need to ask yourself whether mobility is an important matter. if so that cuts the pro right out of the picture.

Then you need to ask yourself how long you're willing to keep the machine. that then, cuts out the laptop. Since there's not a whole lot you can upgrade in it. and you're basically stuck with what you get.

After that ask yourself how much you're willing to spend.. which naturally opens or closes a whole lot of doors for you. Letting you cut down from 20 choices to let's say 5..

If I were you..I'd go for the pro, but either way I'd wait a while before spending my money with all the rumors around and now the 8-core coming out soon...

just sit back, think about what things you find most important and wait a bit until we get another handful of goodies from apple..