[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

• Please log in to reply
1070 replies to this topic

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Looks like you are making a nice job here! What motherboard tray did you use. Looks fairly similar to the Cooler Master tray that I used.

steven89

steven89

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Looks like you are making a nice job here! What motherboard tray did you use. Looks fairly similar to the Cooler Master tray that I used.

I used a Lian Li motherboard tray from Performance-PCs heres a link to it.. Link to motherboard tray

As for my updates (if anyone is interested) i finally got the system in, now i just need a modular PSU, clean up wiring, get some fans, and then start designing a liquid cooling system hah

Anyways.. here come the pics

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Can someone give me a link or send me a PM with how to set up the front pins? my case didnt come with any and right now im usin buttons/lights i made to test boards.. Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by steven89, 06 March 2007 - 07:02 AM.

Nykwil

Nykwil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Some updated pics from one of my threads decided to just post it in here,

I was able to get my watercooling rig setup entirely inside the G5 case

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Nykwil, 06 March 2007 - 03:44 PM.

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:DUH!!
Nice, makes me wish i had stuck at my mod! ;)

I love apple macs, my mac pro is immense but i miss the satisfaction from diy and i love watercooling!

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Nice,

I am currently using a Quad core "Kentsfield" and getting temps maxing at around 34 degrees but this has been overclocked to 3.2 Gigs. Have you booted yet, I will be interested to see what temps you get on the processor. One thing you will want to watch on this Gigabyte motherboard is that if you remove the processor fan and heatsink & watercool as I did, the mosfets on the left & just below the CPU get pretty toasty as they are no longer cooled by the processor fan. In fact so much so that I have added a slot cooler aimed directly at them. Whilst they never gave any problems I did not want to cook the motherboard. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow when I bring my camera home from work.

Once again, a first class mod!

Nykwil

Nykwil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Nice,

I am currently using a Quad core "Kentsfield" and getting temps maxing at around 34 degrees but this has been overclocked to 3.2 Gigs. Have you booted yet, I will be interested to see what temps you get on the processor. One thing you will want to watch on this Gigabyte motherboard is that if you remove the processor fan and heatsink & watercool as I did, the mosfets on the left & just below the CPU get pretty toasty as they are no longer cooled by the processor fan. In fact so much so that I have added a slot cooler aimed directly at them. Whilst they never gave any problems I did not want to cook the motherboard. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow when I bring my camera home from work.

Once again, a first class mod!

I dont think the heatsink and mosfet will have a problem getting any air. My dual 120mm fans are pulling cool air from outside the case in and back out the back.

Granted none of my components are on and most likely the temps will change, but I dont think by about too much.

Nykwil

Nykwil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
had to do this in Vista since I cant seem to find a temp monitor that works perfectly in OSX

Been running Orthos in Vista for 5hrs and 30 mins now @ a 3ghz overclock.
My idle temps are 31-32c
Stress temps top out at 44-45c avg.
I love how after being stressed my temps will drop back down to 32c instantly though.

I'm pretty happy to get it running at 3ghz...I could probably push it more if I upped my vcore and what not but I'm too lazy right now...this computer has already taken enough of my time :whistle:

Edited by Nykwil, 07 March 2007 - 12:31 PM.

Nykwil

Nykwil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
took off the plastic on the case

added a ccfl that i only turn on when i need to look into the case...it's off otherwise
added a power and hdd status LED

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nykwil, 15 March 2007 - 01:14 AM.

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:DUH!!
Looks great!!!!!!!! Are you using the front panel?

Nykwil

Nykwil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Looks great!!!!!!!! Are you using the front panel?

yeah the front panel works except for the power LED.

I just went ahead and bought 2x3mm leds and wired em up to the motherboard. On the front panel I use the USB port the most, but the firewire, headphone ports and power button all work.

I installed the HDD status led because..well frankly my hdd is so quiet I needed a better way to guage its status.

Edited by Nykwil, 15 March 2007 - 12:56 PM.

Scrizz

Scrizz

The Scrizz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Sweet!

ho11ywood45

ho11ywood45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
anyone else have more pictures of the beginning phases...

im just startin this mod and i would love to see peoples images of the front pannel connections, and if you used the mac power cable ... pictures of your mods. as well as if you used the hard drive fan and blower

thanks

mspr

mspr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

anyone else have more pictures of the beginning phases...

im just startin this mod and i would love to see peoples images of the front pannel connections, and if you used the mac power cable ... pictures of your mods. as well as if you used the hard drive fan and blower

thanks

Hello ho11ywood45,
unfortunately I don't have photo of my mod's beginning phases.
For the G5 front panel connections I used an electrical tester to surely identify pinouts but you can find also some Apple service manual images
For the PSU I used an ATX power supply that I modified (I put my ATX PSU in a G5 PSU box)... I used the G5 power cables for HD and optical drive. Actually I have 5 HD and 1 optical drive on my G5
The G5 HD fan and blower are quite noisy at 12Volt so I use them at 5Volt
I will post some photo in next days

PS. Take your time with the mod
Don't cut the case to install the motherboard...

nagal

nagal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
Look here for front panel pinouts http://forum.insanel...showtopic=41483

As for cutting the case, why not? I choose to cut mine to mount an ATX back plane rather than run a bunch of cable throught the existing holes. Was not an easy thing at all but I much perfer the results I have seen doing it this way.

ho11ywood45

ho11ywood45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
im interested as to why you say dont cut the case...i almost dont want to but just want to know your reasoning why

mspr

mspr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

im interested as to why you say dont cut the case...i almost dont want to but just want to know your reasoning why

Hi,
when I started my mod I looked on the web for other G5 mods... a lot of modders decided to cut their case to install an ATX motherboard because by this way they can solve a big problem...
I suggested you to keep your case as it is because I think that it's a beautiful case and if you don't cut it your mod will be very similar to the original G5
It's only a personal idea...
:unsure:

moldyman

moldyman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I had a broken PowerMac G5 once. (Long story but f you very much the TSA). I stripped it clean and tried installing a PC into it. I did the stupid thing and tried to use the I/O ports in the rear via cables. If I hadn't and found something for the front ports instead... I might've suceeded. ANyway, good job to those who did suceed :thumbsup_anim:

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Finally finished the Air cowling for my Hackintosh.

Hackintosh Mods

Posted Image

Posted Image

dark4181

dark4181

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cars and computers
^rock on. i can only hope mine will be half that nice

iRed

iRed

Cinematographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
Is it possible to add my components in Apple G4 case ?
Is there enough space?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy