[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

• Please log in to reply
1073 replies to this topic

Technochicken

Technochicken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
One last pic:
Posted Image

hennahacker

hennahacker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Small question; in order to remove the grey case locking mechanism, how does one remove the actual hooks that hold the case shut? I need to remove the top plate to get at the wiring, but I can't seem to work out this small problem.

Technochicken

Technochicken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This post explains how:

http://www.insanelym...p...st&p=156892

hennahacker

hennahacker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks :3 I was puzzling on that for a while, I never noticed the little clips.

rorydaredking

rorydaredking

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Just got a LianLi motherboard tray. FINALLY!!!
kustompcs.co.uk have 2 left in stock. I can't wait for the end of term so I can finally do my rear mod properly. 10 months after I started haha.
Also, anyone know if a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will be able to cut the case, or does it have to be a rotary type (dremel esque) cutter to have proper success?

eelhead

eelhead

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

kustompcs.co.uk have 2 left in stock. I can't wait for the end of term so I can finally do my rear mod properly. 10 months after I started haha.
Also, anyone know if a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will be able to cut the case, or does it have to be a rotary type (dremel esque) cutter to have proper success?

Yeah a little jigsaw will work fine, that's what I used to cut the back out and my PSU mod.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=255820

spackley

spackley

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Funny but there were 6 a week ago and I bought one of them too... :D

NurkJon

NurkJon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

G'day,

I'm searching for the G5 Logic board back I/O pinout. I read through all of the G5 modding threads available and was unable to locate this information. It was posted here around page 34-37 or so, but all of the images have since been moved/no longer exist.

http://www.insanelym...mp;#entry977693

Posted Image

Could anyone else provide me with this resource? It would certainly assist my project in coming along more smoothly.

Thanks!

Did you ever find the pin out? I'm looking for this as well.

NurkJon

NurkJon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I'm currently working on my G5 mod and ran into another problem I want to reuse the original sata power cable however there only seem to be 4 cables on the G5 sata power while a normal have 5 so I don't know which cable should connect to which cable on the ATX PSU and which cable I'm supposed to skip.

I soldered at needle to my multimeter tip and made the measurements myself. So for anyone who might need I decided to put the "pinout" here.

I'm calling the cable closest to sata power pin 1 for #1 and going up to right.

#  Color code	  Description
#1 Black		   GND for sata power pin 4, 5, 6
#2 Red			 +5VDC
#3 Black		   GND sata power pin 10, 11 ,12
#4 Yellow		  +12VDC

It's the orange +3.3VDC that's "missing".

I hope this is helpful for someone.

rorydaredking

rorydaredking

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I'm currently working on my G5 mod and ran into another problem I want to reuse the original sata power cable however there only seem to be 4 cables on the G5 sata power while a normal have 5 so I don't know which cable should connect to which cable on the ATX PSU and which cable I'm supposed to skip.

I soldered at needle to my multimeter tip and made the measurements myself. So for anyone who might need I decided to put the "pinout" here.

#2 Red			 +5VDC
#4 Yellow		  +12VDC

Ive definitely seen someone use them. Might have been over at tonymac, ut I am sure. Keep looking, I am sure you will find what you need!

osxy

osxy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

#2 Red			 +5VDC
 #4 Yellow		  +12VDC

The orange lead isn't used for harddrives, only for hotswapping according to my info.

NurkJon

NurkJon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
No it's not for hotswapping but they are optional; as old molex to sata adapters don't supply 3,3v it's rearly used if ever.

osxy

osxy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
It isn't used and that's what counts for him :rolleyes: But I stand corrected.

gurki

gurki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I'm also working on my G5 Mod.

Unfortunately the superdrive in the G5 doesn't have sata.
What's the better option? Get an adapter IDE=>Sata or a new drive?
I'm looking for best compatibility, I don't really care about speed or something there

neil43

neil43

Grey Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I'm also working on my G5 Mod.

Unfortunately the superdrive in the G5 doesn't have sata.
What's the better option? Get an adapter IDE=>Sata or a new drive?
I'm looking for best compatibility, I don't really care about speed or something there

Check to see if the "old" IDE reads Dual Layer DVDs. Working with some of these older machines such as the G4 Cube that I found it a real annoyance to work around not having the DL read capability.

neil

merouby

merouby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi everyone, Here's a few photo of my G5 mod. What do you think?

Actually that's a Mac Pro case....so technically it's your Mac Pro mod! :D

The Edge3000

The Edge3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Here's my build- Tried something different with the PSU. As far as I know, no one has done it like this. No destruction of the PSU, and it's mounted firmly by the friction of the stock case for the PowerMac PSU.

Attached Files

Technochicken

Technochicken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Here's my build- Tried something different with the PSU. As far as I know, no one has done it like this. No destruction of the PSU, and it's mounted firmly by the friction of the stock case for the PowerMac PSU.

I did something very similar in mine, but I mounted the PSU a bit closer to the back of the case to leave room for the original fans. Also, I used an aluminum bracket with a thumbscrew and a magnet on the bottom to hold the PSU in place.

Posted Image

With the rest of the hardware:

Posted Image

I left the stock PSU casing in there so that the original G5 CPU cover can still fit on. There are pictures of it like that a page or two back.

BluesBoy

BluesBoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music for Film and Video Games.
Greetings All,
lots of great info in this thread.

I am currently gutting the G5 for an i7 PC build. As of now, I have removed everything except the logic board - I have removed all the screws, but the thing is not moving at all (I even cut myself twice in the process).

The G5 is a dual 1.8, late 2004. When I try to move the board to a side, it gets stuck on the large standoffs, and when I try to lift it, it gets stuck on the small round pin standoffs. I tried removing the round pins, but they are not going anywhere.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

Thank you.

Kalms

Kalms

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Greetings All,
lots of great info in this thread.

I am currently gutting the G5 for an i7 PC build. As of now, I have removed everything except the logic board - I have removed all the screws, but the thing is not moving at all (I even cut myself twice in the process).

The G5 is a dual 1.8, late 2004. When I try to move the board to a side, it gets stuck on the large standoffs, and when I try to lift it, it gets stuck on the small round pin standoffs. I tried removing the round pins, but they are not going anywhere.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

Thank you.

Remember to remove the screws/inserts for the processor cooling ribs :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy