[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Has any one tried to fit this rad into a g5 case?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7224/ex-...ll_Killers.html

that should fit.... it says its 411mm long, and i think (from memory) the case internal is 430ishmm

i fit a 240mm (double rad), and a psu with room to spare...... that reminds me, i must post my project log here.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, I've been reading this with some interest now. But I appear to have hit an impass..... sort of.

Basically i've got a FW cable but it only has 7 pins and not the normal 9 pins.... can anyone tell me if this will be a problem for the front connector? I got it here:

http://mrusb.co.uk/catalog/product_info.ph...57ef04e60758962

as I live in the UK and couldn't find the cable I needed anywhere else. I'm guessing that as long as the shield ground is connected, the power, usb etc will still work?

Sorry for being such a noob but can't seem to find the answer anywhere else

Cheers

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

First I would like to thank everyone for all the awesome information. Secondly I would like to ask if anyone has the pinouts for the mac motherboard so that I can solder cables directly onto the board to extend the cables. I know there is a post on page 35 but it is not very specific and I would like to solder extension cables directly onto the underside of the board so I can keep the back of my case looking really clean.

Thank You.

I finally got around to breaking Ghetto-5 open, and upgrading him to i7.... and now I am really sad. The performance is horrible.

This is the xbench score on a Asus P6T WS Pro, i7 965 extreme, GTX 280, DDR3 1600 (all at stock):

Results	113.53	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6.2 (10C540)
	Physical RAM		3072 MB
	Model		MacPro2,1
	Drive Type		Areca ARC-1120-VOL#00
CPU Test	84.62	
	GCD Loop	162.10	8.54 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	67.93	1.61 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	51.77	1.71 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	141.50	24.64 Mops/sec
Thread Test	450.04	
	Computation	549.23	11.13 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	381.19	16.40 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	231.59	
	System	228.74	
		Allocate	207.75	762.92 Kalloc/sec
		Fill	224.16	10899.01 MB/sec
		Copy	260.37	5377.90 MB/sec
	Stream	234.51	
		Copy	270.95	5596.37 MB/sec
		Scale	214.00	4421.17 MB/sec
		Add	249.98	5325.11 MB/sec
		Triad	213.08	4558.41 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	110.84	
	Line	97.68	6.50 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	120.23	35.89 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	103.53	8.44 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	115.26	2.91 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	121.67	7.61 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	53.14	
	Spinning Squares	53.14	67.42 frames/sec
User Interface Test	150.32	
	Elements	150.32	689.90 refresh/sec

That is just pathetic. My rendering times in my 3D apps are also worse than a slow core2 duo.

Patched a new DSDT in Leo, everything is recognized and working... all 8 cores, CI/QE... so I am dumbfounded. I should have stayed on X48. I'll admit, I've been busy, so I haven't kept up on the scene, but my X48/Q6600 was running on SL just fine.

I'm actually contemplating going to the dark side now. If anyone has any ideas as to how my machine could so freakin slow with such great parts, I would really appreciate it.

-NC

beaitul g5 mod i must say its so clean, but anyways i just started my g5 mod today and i started on the front panel wiring but i ran into one problem mayeb you guys can help me with it, the power button works awsome but the thing is that the LED only works when you press the power button, what could be the cause for this? thanks!

no i haven't, well i have tried but it didnt work, i'll have another go at it asap. i'll let you know what happens

this has nothing to do with the G5 mod, but i never thought id see another person on this forum that rides bikes lmao.

how old are u nd what parts you running? lol.'and u ever use TCUB?

Ok, 5 pcbs done in total, 2 cable sets.

But back to my own project :(

Got the BlackIce 184 GTX today, that's one fat rad.

post-389315-1238685249_thumb.jpg

post-389315-1238685264_thumb.jpg

Need to little improve that mounting, not the most secure there is.

Yes that rad will come over the first pci/pcie slot, worry not in my mobo pci-e x16 slot is at second place, that is just dead dummy board :D

Xsolid,

just wondering if you could make me a wire adapter for the front panel G5?

i suck at electrical... i would totally pay more than what you said on previous post, PM when you get this because your mailbox is full!

thanks!!

Louis

Just finished my own G5 mod. I mounted a tray on some standoffs for my matx board and ran jumpers to custom made panel mounts. I also went for the original G5 motherboard rear panel approach and sawed off the section needed. But I have hit a snag, my hackintosh continues to give me "usb current overdraw notice" every time i plug something other than say my usb bluetooth adapter into the adapter i created. When i plug in a hard drive, i get the error over and over again. I will have to rip the computer apart again so that i can look at my adapter, although i am sure it is not my soldering as i triple checked for bridges and such. Anyway, when i get everything running smooth i will post up some pics.

i have a question for Aquamac. i think his mod are the cleanest so far... very maclike!

anyway he made a few stainless steel shroud to direct the air flow, i like it and i want to do the same, how did you bend the steel and what thickness are you using?

thanks all of you for your input, i just order my component!

here is the spec, let me know what you think!

ga-ex58-ud5 mobo

gtx 295 video card

1.5 seagate hd x2

850w ps corsair coolmaster pro

2.66 i7 oc to 4gh

watercooling with koolance 350

koolance 120 rad

quick disconnect koolance stuff for watercool, looks so tech!!

Corsair XMS3 Dominator 12gig ram ddr3

lianli atx tray for the g5 case

not sure if i should watercool the northbridge?

will run 2 120mm fan on the rad like Aquamac mod and 1 120 fan on the back.

ill use the original powermack powersupply case and will strip the corsair to fit in with the water recervoir and the pump.

i am still not sure how to wire the front panel (usb,firewire, led and power button) i read the whole thing and there is really nice diagram but i am so freakin bad at elecr

i have a question for Aquamac. i think his mod are the cleanest so far... very maclike.. even better!

anyway he made a few stainless steel shroud to direct the air flow, i like it and i want to do the same, how did you ben the steel and what thickness are you using?

i would like the shroud to ben under the processor to show the watercooling pipe and stuff, i have a pretty cool vision, just need to know how to work the stainless...

thanks all of you for your input, i just order my component yesterday, pretty excited and 2gs poorer :9

here is the spec, let me know what you think!

ga-ex58-ud5 mobo

gtx 295 video card

1.5 seagate hd x2

850w ps corsair coolmaster pro

2.66 i7 oc to 4gh

watercooling with koolance 350

koolance 120 rad

quick disconnect koolance stuff for watercool, looks so tech!!

Corsair XMS3 Dominator 12gig ram ddr3

lianli atx tray for the g5 case

lightscribe samsung superdrive x22

this is going to be a beast i think!

not sure if i should watercool the northbridge?

will run 2 120mm fan on the rad like Aquamac mod and 1 x120 fan on the back.

ill use the original powermack powersupply case and will strip the corsair to fit in with the water reservoir and the pump.

i am still not sure how to wire the front panel (usb,firewire, led and power button) i read the whole thing and there is really nice diagram but i am so freakin bad at electrical... i wish someone could make me a connector...

anyway thanks for your input, ill try to post the build also but i think people are probably sick of g5 build,there is so many!

hahaha yeahh im always on tcub, but im riding fly luna frame, fit blade forks eh just the usual trendy parts lol

haha nice nice. i love flys my best friend had a mosca for like 2 years and now is on a tierra and its super nice, im on a sueprstar cooper and i love it, and before that i had a fit s3 lol. my bikes pretty much just all different parts. from companys that i like. 19.5lbs no pegs/only ti in my spindle(profile lites)

alright back to G5 cases here haha.

i gutted the case, welded new motherboard insert, cuted the back for lianli mobo tray, made a bracket for double 120mm rad, things are coming along...

when i gutted the case i found a heat sensor on the top of the HDD bay and on the bottom, anyone was successful using it ?

i will be running 2 x1.5tb on the hd bay, i am scared things will fry...

any idea?

cheers!

is this thread dead?

anyone over here?

i have tons of question, another one about wiring the hdd fan...

to wire the fan on a molex in 5v, do i put the 2 (12v and 5v) wires on the red , connect the 2 ground in the middle on black and the leave the yellow empty?

i am not sure what im doing nd i dont want to fry the fans...

on previous post that was posted

" I sent both +12v lines to one molex, and then both +5v to another molex, but you can arrange things however you want, as long as you power the outer lines, and ground the 2 inner lines."

and he posted a picture but doesnt seem like that, seem like 12 and 5v are connected together.

i am confuse...

help please!

post-562156-1265421935_thumb.jpg

is this thread dead?

anyone over here?

i have tons of question, another one about wiring the hdd fan...

to wire the fan on a molex in 5v, do i put the 2 (12v and 5v) wires on the red , connect the 2 ground in the middle on black and the leave the yellow empty?

i am not sure what im doing nd i dont want to fry the fans...

on previous post that was posted

" I sent both +12v lines to one molex, and then both +5v to another molex, but you can arrange things however you want, as long as you power the outer lines, and ground the 2 inner lines."

and he posted a picture but doesnt seem like that, seem like 12 and 5v are connected together.

i am confuse...

help please!

If you connect the cables respecting the colors, red to red and yellow to yellow, the fans will blow at full speed 12V, same if you connect all the cables to the yellow; 12V. To have your fans blowing slower: 5V, you have to connect the two colored cables from the fan, red and yellow to the red one from the molex, so your fans will run @5V. Yoou can make one plug for each fan or connect all the cables together depending if you want to be able to connect the fans separatly; one at a time or the both always at the same time.

If you connect the cables respecting the colors, red to red and yellow to yellow, the fans will blow at full speed 12V, same if you connect all the cables to the yellow; 12V. To have your fans blowing slower: 5V, you have to connect the two colored cables from the fan, red and yellow to the red one from the molex, so your fans will run @5V. Yoou can make one plug for each fan or connect all the cables together depending if you want to be able to connect the fans separatly; one at a time or the both always at the same time.

thank!

ill get to work now!

here another question... my last one i think...

i want to extend the psu wire to the back of the case with a foot or normal electrical wire., i need to know how do i connect...

brown with black, blue with white and green together?

i never seen brown and blue wire before... i guess all power supply have them but its my first mod...

cheers!!

thank!

ill get to work now!

here another question... my last one i think...

i want to extend the psu wire to the back of the case with a foot or normal electrical wire., i need to know how do i connect...

brown with black, blue with white and green together?

i never seen brown and blue wire before... i guess all power supply have them but its my first mod...

cheers!!

I guesss you're talking about a PC PSU. So you connect one wire (brown or blue) from the PSU to one (white or black) from the normal electrical and the two green together.

You have some nice Powermac G5 fans diagrams from technojunkie.

I am showing the soldering in Visit My Hackintosh from the post 15.

Cheers,

I guesss you're talking about a PC PSU. So you connect one wire (brown or blue) from the PSU to one (white or black) from the normal electrical and the two green together.

You have some nice Powermac G5 fans diagrams from technojunkie.

I am showing the soldering in Visit My Hackintosh from the post 15.

Cheers,

i dont understand... i wired the fan the way you told me all one one molex so i can just have them running all thetime... when i plug it in my psu, the psu shuts down, what the hell?

does it do that when your connection are wrong?

i hope they are not because they all black and i didnt write what is what... what a headache?

ill look at your post for sure...

Hi there all, so I thought i'd jump on the g5 train and modded it to fit my current rig, abiet without my raid setup. Anyways, I just recieved my front panel header through the post and I'm having some real trouble getting it to work, mainly due to conflicting diagrams and comments. I tried using some cable to connect my power button ground, I think..(mobo side) to pin 1, led pwr to 13 and the other pwr button cable to 14, and varous other arrangements. I don't really get a response. However due to my mobos unwanted habit of powering up when I plug it in I can at least see if my pin outs working.. Alas I've had no such luck as now my pc doesn't even wanna turn on. I know I havnt fried it as my iPod charges from it and I'm still getting a hum from my speakers. There's just no way to get it to work. I don't care about the USB or the FireWire on the panel. But the button and led are a must. I've got about 6 images of the pin out on my iPhone and none seem to work, ( ps I'm using the front panel cable too if it matters.)

some clarity and advice would be great