[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

This is for everyone whom is going to order PCBs from me:

Well Diabolik is the last one of those who ordered PCBs and is the last customer who is getting hes boards, i don't have enought time to make these and don't have access to pcb cnc anymore.

If somebody have access to pcb router or can ect pcb, i can and i will bring the gerber files avaiable for everyone :angry:

Well Diabolik is the last one of those who ordered PCBs and is the last customer who is getting hes boards, i don't have enought time to make these and don't have access to pcb cnc anymore.

If somebody have access to pcb router or can ect pcb, i can and i will bring the gerber files avaiable for everyone :D

thanks for sending them!

i got mine this morning, was a little worried as it was in a royal mail jiffy bag saying damaged on it. but the pins bent back ok (fingers crossed). i was just wondering if you could post a pin out, as my firewire cable doesnt fit, it has the 8 wires, but the cable is 5 wires wide with 2 on the other side, also i dont know which way round the other pins are.

thanks again!

thanks for sending them!

i got mine this morning, was a little worried as it was in a royal mail jiffy bag saying damaged on it. but the pins bent back ok (fingers crossed). i was just wondering if you could post a pin out, as my firewire cable doesnt fit, it has the 8 wires, but the cable is 5 wires wide with 2 on the other side, also i dont know which way round the other pins are.

thanks again!

Getting that small pcb broken is almoust next to impossible unless you use sledgehammer :)

I'll make pinout image tomorrow or at monday.

Getting that small pcb broken is almoust next to impossible unless you use sledgehammer :)

I'll make pinout image tomorrow or at monday.

yeh the damage wasnt to the pcb, but to the envolope. it had been ripped so they had put it in the bag to stop the contents from spilling. and it was only the audio and usb pins that were a little wonky! nothing major!

yeh a pinout would be good! this is the last part of my 3 year build!

If somebody have access to pcb router or can ect pcb, i can and i will bring the gerber files avaiable for everyone :D

(SX)s0lid, if you would be able to post your PCB design files online that would be awesome. Also, would it be possible to get a 1:1 photoshop file to work with too? I am thinking of trying to etch a PCB myself. Thanks

Pinout:

4172903.jpg:D

Please check from this picture the orientation of frontpanels cable:

G5frontpinout.jpg pin at rigth uppercorner is pin1 ;)

thanks for the pinout!! really helpful!

just a quuick question about firewire though. i have rewired the plug for your board, but i have one cable left (white) to fill thee 2 12v pins? i believe white is 30v.

thanks for any advice.

thanks for the pinout!! really helpful!

just a quuick question about firewire though. i have rewired the plug for your board, but i have one cable left (white) to fill thee 2 12v pins? i believe white is 30v.

thanks for any advice.

Oh damn it i didn't remember the voltage right, 12V pins are 30V with no load (in nervouschimps pic they're 25V which might be the lowest voltage with hi load.)... My bad with that one :)

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/ieee1394_pinout.shtml here's firewires pin out if it helps a little.

Oh damn it i didn't remember the voltage right, 12V pins are 30V with no load (in nervouschimps pic they're 25V which might be the lowest voltage with hi load.)... My bad with that one :)

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/ieee1394_pinout.shtml here's firewires pin out if it helps a little.

lol thats the page i was using. shal i just stick the white one in pin 1 for your board? will that work?

lol thats the page i was using. shal i just stick the white one in pin 1 for your board? will that work?

Well yea if you have the other pins right...

Btw you've the cable coming from front panel right? just an btw :D

Finally, the Mailman has arrived. what he got? Well, let's see:

g5outsidelkc9.png

A 2,7 GhZ Dual G5, with all guts in it, exept Superdrive and Harddisk. Sadly, the Logicboard is foul. So, lets make a nice HackMac out of it. First, Take it apart:

restelh7x.png

Apple-Salad anyone? :D

Then pry off the Mobo-Standoffs. Just a swingle with the Pliers, and *Pop* no more Standoff:

bolzen3f61a.png

nackts4uk.png

Time to whip out the Saw, and get of the faulty Logic-Board, of case exept of this little Stripe of happyness:

backpanel1d24i.png

stuntdoublet5dw.png

Fits Perfectly.

Now lets make a G5-Like DVD-Drive. How? Well, first solder a white LED in it in place of the boring green one, and build a "Emergency-Eject"-Switch at he Back of it. Later i have noticed, when you Press on Top of the Front-Left of the Drive, it Presses the Original Button (It's a LG H22N SATA-DVD-R)

Okay, whats Next? Right, the New-Old Motherboard-Standoffs. I screwed them onto the "Stunt-Double", and Superglued them in Place on the Tray. Then i unscrew the mainboard, and *tada*, all Standoffs in Place, where they have to be. Just make a little Epoxy-Glue-mess now, and they are Perfectly in Place, withstanding the next Nuclear War:

werkzeugkk9n.png

I Love "5 Minute Epoxy Glue"

epoxy161dp.png

Im just now Installing the Motherboard. Tomorrow i have to buy a thinner soldering-iron. The one i got is to weld something like rain gutters. No good Idea to solder the Backpanel with it, and, well, my Logic Boards are...well, out of Stock :D

Stay tuned for more :)

Well yea if you have the other pins right...

Btw you've the cable coming from front panel right? just an btw :)

i have the cable coming from the front panel into your PCB. then the internal firewire header cable i bought only has 7 wires inside it. so i have connected all of them up, 2 grounds and the 4 wires for the twisted pairs, but i only have one wire left, the white power wire. if that helps you understand. bit puzzled with that really, but im not very good with actual electronics.

thanks!

well, i have had possibly the best day yet on this project, and then possibly the worst ever!!

first off all i got everything in, and ready to go! all the parts, and then the watercooling bits and bobs. filled the loop, and went to start the pump....... not so good! its appears to be DOA!!!!!! so whilst fiddling round trying to reset it as per aquacomputers guidelines, i knock off a hose! so there was UV green coolant everywhere. so not so good. then my gpu block started to leak, but not on the fitment, on the actual block.

so i decided to drain it.... which was messy! it took me 3 hours to put everything in the system, and 5 hours to take everything out, and dry it!

cannot express how gutted i am, but i need a computer, so i set it up without the water and i am typing off it now! the feeling from going from a dell mini 9 1024x600 screen to a 30" 2560x1600 is amazing!

anyhoo, i am in discussions with aqua computer about my pump, so its gonna be another 4 weeks before i get another shot at building it fully again!

oh and (xs)solid, the pcb works brilliantly for the switch and led, but usb wont work... and neither will firewire. I was expecting that one but i would like usb. ill have a couple more plays!

EDIT: Please see attached screen grab! i have tried the usb header both ways on the pcb....

post-42501-1242256269_thumb.png

Edited by ѕӎѳѳҭңӌ

oh and (xs)solid, the pcb works brilliantly for the switch and led, but usb wont work... and neither will firewire. I was expecting that one but i would like usb. ill have a couple more plays!

EDIT: Please see attached screen grab! i have tried the usb header both ways on the pcb....

post-42501-1242256269_thumb.png

That's interesting, either theres a short circuit on pcb or something like that since it gives over current error... If you can take good picture from pcbs backside i could check is there problem with my soldering. Tho if you know somebody who works with electronics, ask him to check for bad solders.

I've tested USB, led, button and audio and those worked, but haven't tested FW since lack of time. Will look foward for that at this weekend...

That's interesting, either theres a short circuit on pcb or something like that since it gives over current error... If you can take good picture from pcbs backside i could check is there problem with my soldering. Tho if you know somebody who works with electronics, ask him to check for bad solders.

I've tested USB, led, button and audio and those worked, but haven't tested FW since lack of time. Will look foward for that at this weekend...

so using your pcb, the firewire isn't necessary for power ground?

Power ground?

Mostly i just ment that i need to check the pinout -_-

I'm confused because nervouschimp has written else where in this thread that the front panel connector uses the firewire to ground the power button... did you wire that differently somehow? I am a noob :-)

I'm confused because nervouschimp has written else where in this thread that the front panel connector uses the firewire to ground the power button... did you wire that differently somehow? I am a noob :-)

i think, due to the way the pcb is designed, it can get ground from a number of places, though i may be wrong. I do have firewire plugged in, so it is possible that i have the ground grounded even though the rest of the firewire doesnt work (if that makes sense)

I have got firewire to work in a fashion. it powers my isight, but os x does not detect it. ill have a look at the back of the pcb when i get chance!

i think, due to the way the pcb is designed, it can get ground from a number of places, though i may be wrong. I do have firewire plugged in, so it is possible that i have the ground grounded even though the rest of the firewire doesnt work (if that makes sense)

Led, power button and FireWire share the same ground, usb has it's own.

I have got firewire to work in a fashion. it powers my isight, but os x does not detect it. ill have a look at the back of the pcb when i get chance!

If it does give power to a device it's good, maybe the TPA or TPBs are mixed and it causes the problems with FW...

Hi,

i´m new and like to start with a modd, just got the case....

My budget is about $500 - 600 and i like to modd it as a PC (sorry i know...)

but for more i have no money...

I like to know if i can use this Motherbard and how you guy`s thinking about this?!

ASUS P5KPL-CM G31 1600FSB

I also looking that i buy a like custom made PC over ebay and installit then in the new Case.

What you are thinking about? I listet all parts in the picture, is this ok for $450?

And what would you recomment?

Thanks - and you guy`s made a really good job!

post-428155-1242421347_thumb.jpg

x-solid, if you start from this post earlier in the thread and read the following 4-5 posts, it discusses the power/firewire ground issue I'm talking about... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=614504

I'm wondering how this factors into the way you set up the PCB... let me know what you think!

thanks,

Wes

his pcb i think, uses the ground from firewire and distributes it to the power switch ground and led ground. this would explain why i can use the switch and see the led, as i have my firewire almost wire up correctly, just an error with one or more of the data cables.

please correct me if i am wrong however!