[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

I figured I'd show where I'm up to on my G5 case mod.

Concept.png

interior.jpg

rear.jpg

I've forgotten some things (like the litte pieces I've already cut as filler pieces, waiting to be epoxied in & the EMI shield on the expansion slots & rear fans). I'm about 80% done, with jigsaw cuts for cable management, some JB Welding of things I screwed up, the top 2 fan housings & the zone plate between PCI slots & CPU. The drive racks & sleds are completely done the drives sit on sleds... here are pics:

http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-general...tml#post5886801

Since I wasn't able to test audio or firewire yet (no OS installed), I only connected power & USB. Here is what my front panel connector looked like:

frontpanel.jpg

With only the PWR+, PWR-, LED+ & LED-, the power button & LED worked:

5 PWR+ (pin6 on F_PANEL of Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard)

6 LED+ (pin2 on F_PANEL, labeled as MSG+)

14 LED- (pin4 on F_PANEL, labeled as MSG-)

18 PWR- (pin8 on F_PANEL)

Adding USB using a 4pin header connection:

7 USB+ (pin5 on F_USB of Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard)

8 USB- (pin3 on F_USB)

9 +5V (pin1 on F_USB)

10 GND (pin7 on F_USB)

---------------

I used a laptop 40 to 44 pin IDE converter (search ebay for a cheap 99cent one). What was important was the 2mm pitch end had individual separate cables (as opposed to the flat ribbon 40 pin 2.54mm pitch side). A needle inserted lifts up the tab allowing the cable & tail to slide right out. I trimmed the cable to 3-4 inches, soldered it onto solid wire cabling to the motherboard & trimmed the original 44pin connector to 2x9. The tails went back into the connector & that's the end of the 99cent mod.

xs solid: any news about the front panel PCBs matey?

Ruslan120: dont worry about it mate! thanks for changing it though!

PCBs are ready but haven't had any time to make the cables :X

But could send an diy cableset, including calbling, pins and connectors. tho this would be little cheaper for you and i could ship it out faster.

About ~6-8$ + shippings for the board + cable connectors

Like in this picture

post-389315-1237995959_thumb.jpg

i dont really need cables anyway, i have usb, and some single cables to make up the audio and firewire looms myself. but i would like the board like in your image. is that possible?

thanks for getting the boards done, saves me for a majorly messy soldering job!

K, project completed ;)

Here are key progress pictures, full worklog at

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=166579

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00740.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00749.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

This is basically the long and short:

I cut a hole in the bottom of the case for the psu and a section of the inside for the new heatsink to fit. I bought a Zigmatek Dark Knight heatsink and stupidly cut the heatpipes to make it fit, ruining it (as I learned at a later time when it idled at 70 C). I ordered a new, scythe mugen heatsink and it works perfectly now, idles at room temp. To fit the motherboard I re-used the original standoffs and epoxied them into place (epoxy is EXTREMLY strong), and then I simply mounted the motherboard tray onto them. I re-used the hard disk area and epoxied extension cables for the rear ports. I soldered the old rear fans and they worked, but didn't move enough air at 5v (at least for me), so I upgraded the fans to more quiet and more powerful 100 mm fans and simply epoxied/super glued them onto the bracket. For the video cable I simply used a right angle adapter coupled with an hdmi to dvi cable routed through a pci slot. I don't see the back of the case normally so I figured that's alright. I encourage you to read to worklog; there you'll see how I did the whole thing and maybe it will help!

Pre-soldered rear fans @ 5v for sale, pm me for a price!

Ok, 10 boards machined in total, 8 with connectors done, ran out of 2.54mm connectors with 2.

If i recall correclty they all are reserved:

3 for Diabolik

1 for Smoothy

1 for pitouthestar

1 for wlazara

2 for onemanstrash

1 for teknojunkie

Correct me if didn't remember these right.

Will take pics tomorrow =)

its looking really good! are you just going with that one radiator then?

on my case, ive got two things to do, finish wiring the g5 board, and plug in your PCB when it arrives.

i could do with your help again on the g5 board. i have removed the metal covering for the ethernet, that was easy, but what is the best way to remove the black part on the back? i dont want to damage anything.

any help will be massively appreciated!

its looking really good! are you just going with that one radiator then?

on my case, ive got two things to do, finish wiring the g5 board, and plug in your PCB when it arrives.

i could do with your help again on the g5 board. i have removed the metal covering for the ethernet, that was easy, but what is the best way to remove the black part on the back? i dont want to damage anything.

any help will be massively appreciated!

Use wire cutters like this for removing the blackbox and everything in it(there's just couple inductors):

sivuleikkuri.gif

I'll try to ship some of the boards at next week, please pm your shipping addresses.

Use wire cutters like this for removing the blackbox and everything in it(there's just couple inductors):

sivuleikkuri.gif

I'll try to ship some of the boards at next week, please pm your shipping addresses.

thanks, ill try and hack it up then.

got one usb working 100% using a mighty mouse through it now, and copied 1gb through np, but the other usb inst so good. the red light comes on the bottom of the mouse, but it doesnt move the cursor. guessing somethijg isnt soldered properly?

thanks, ill try and hack it up then.

got one usb working 100% using a mighty mouse through it now, and copied 1gb through np, but the other usb inst so good. the red light comes on the bottom of the mouse, but it doesnt move the cursor. guessing somethijg isnt soldered properly?

I had this same problem when green wire were touching ground.

well i got good news and bad news.... both usbs are now working and i have sealed them with hot melt. but i managed to break off the ethernet connector! argh.

so my plan is to epoxy the usb apple ethernet adapter i have to use anyway(my boards ethernet is rubbish) in place of the broken one. saves me trying to solder the ethernet, as i am s h i t at soldering

Has anybody had problems getting their system to sleep on its own? Mine will sleep via the menu bar command, and also by scheduling it at a certain time. But it will not go to sleep if I just leave it and, say, have it sit for 30 minutes (at which point, according to my settings, it should sleep)? I was not having this problem in my old case. Every reply I have gotten has talked about grounding, and I have tried everything short of completely rewiring my front panel (which works). Any other ideas?

Ok, ѕӎѳѳҭңӌs, pitouthestars and wlazaras pcbs shipped, should be there in 5-7 days, shipping were fairly cheap 80snt without the cables and 1.1€ with cables (pitouthestars shipment), sent as airmail :)

Rest of you who have ordered me pcbs, pm me your shipping addresses so i'll get those sent :blink:

Ok, ѕӎѳѳҭңӌs, pitouthestars and wlazaras pcbs shipped, should be there in 5-7 days, shipping were fairly cheap 80snt without the cables and 1.1€ with cables (pitouthestars shipment), sent as airmail :lol:

Rest of you who have ordered me pcbs, pm me your shipping addresses so i'll get those sent :)

(XS)s0lid, just wondering - are you still taking new requests for these boards?

(XS)s0lid, just wondering - are you still taking new requests for these boards?

Snap, and what prices are you looking at for delivery and everything? (where are you based?)

Sorry if Youve been through this in the thread already, i read through all 40 odd pages last night and cant remember!

Cheers