[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Reusing of the plug is just fine, I did that :( Just a minute of soldering, and it looks and works nice :P Three wires takes down the possibility you can mess something up :D
which wires need soldering
Reusing of the plug is just fine, I did that :) Just a minute of soldering, and it looks and works nice :P Three wires takes down the possibility you can mess something up :D
which wires need solderingsry accidentally did it twice

there are 3 wires: live, neutral and earth. Now that is in the uk where we have a 3 prong plug of the wall. As i understand it, the internal wires should be the same regardless of the plug.

On the apple psu, you only have to unsolder but the wires are a different colour: earth, neutral (black) and live (white).

Thats how my apple psu is. Basically you unsolder the apple on and resolder the live, neutral and earth in the same way as they were soldered on the standard psu.

Correct me if im wrong :P

there are 3 wires: live, neutral and earth. Now that is in the uk where we have a 3 prong plug of the wall. As i understand it, the internal wires should be the same regardless of the plug.

On the apple psu, you only have to unsolder but the wires are a different colour: earth, neutral (black) and live (white).

Thats how my apple psu is. Basically you unsolder the apple on and resolder the live, neutral and earth in the same way as they were soldered on the standard psu.

Correct me if im wrong :o

dude thanks that helps alot i guess its that easy

dude thanks that helps alot i guess its that easy

if your changing the case of your psu then you should transplant it but if your intending to keep your old psu housing (my original intention) i came up with a little trick. I was gonna house my psu at the top of the case where the hdds were but i wanted to use the original hole for the plug. I got a power lead, chopped off the wall plug, then cut the cable to the needed size. Then plug one end into your psu, and solder up the chopped off end to the apple plug and fix that to the original hole in the case. Ill see if i can dig out any pics.

if your changing the case of your psu then you should transplant it but if your intending to keep your old psu housing (my original intention) i came up with a little trick. I was gonna house my psu at the top of the case where the hdds were but i wanted to use the original hole for the plug. I got a power lead, chopped off the wall plug, then cut the cable to the needed size. Then plug one end into your psu, and solder up the chopped off end to the apple plug and fix that to the original hole in the case. Ill see if i can dig out any pics.

K that will help alot what do u mean by transplant I was going to hide it where the original psu sits and how much do you think a G5 non functioning logic board will sell for

heres my G5 case mod. Before i post pictures i would like to remind everyone i am just a 13 year old with a passion for computers and someone who has loved os x since they were about 6 years old =]

Its not the cleanest on the inside. but no one my age asks to see the inside. and as you can tell from the desk shot. the back is never seen either.

Working Shot:

DSC00369.jpg

Inside Shot:

IMG_0011.jpg

Desk Shot:

DSC00374.jpg

heres my G5 case mod. Before i post pictures i would like to remind everyone i am just a 13 year old with a passion for computers and someone who has loved os x since they were about 6 years old =]

Its not the cleanest on the inside. but no one my age asks to see the inside. and as you can tell from the desk shot. the back is never seen either.

Working Shot:

DSC00369.jpg

Inside Shot:

IMG_0011.jpg

Desk Shot:

DSC00374.jpg

Thats really nice what the back of your case or what motherboard tray and im only 16 and you got a great gift thanks

haha thanks. well the first time i modded the case i cut out the original backplate as i had a full size ATX board. but then i built a new computer and decided to use a mATX for better compatibility and i cut out the entire rear end. and my brother had an old mATX laying around. so i took a hax saw and cut of the access parts of the case except the back and motherboard tray. then i just screwed it into the top HD/CD Drive Plate. I completed the entire case on my own and well considering im young im pretty satisfied. and with my friends knowing nothing about computers except that apple has a cool store. they cant even tell the difference. if you planning on using a full size ATX board i would get a motherboard tray and a dremel and measure very carefully. you dont need a motherboard tray if your using an mATX board. but i started with a full size so cuttign the case wasnt an option.

i do recommend a mATXboard as i think if would have helped stop alot of the trouble i had, and not to mention cuts i had from inexperience. haha. thanks for compliment though

haha thanks. well the first time i modded the case i cut out the original backplate as i had a full size ATX board. but then i built a new computer and decided to use a mATX for better compatibility and i cut out the entire rear end. and my brother had an old mATX laying around. so i took a hax saw and cut of the access parts of the case except the back and motherboard tray. then i just screwed it into the top HD/CD Drive Plate. I completed the entire case on my own and well considering im young im pretty satisfied. and with my friends knowing nothing about computers except that apple has a cool store. they cant even tell the difference. if you planning on using a full size ATX board i would get a motherboard tray and a dremel and measure very carefully. you dont need a motherboard tray if your using an mATX board. but i started with a full size so cuttign the case wasnt an option.

i do recommend a mATXboard as i think if would have helped stop alot of the trouble i had, and not to mention cuts i had from inexperience. haha. thanks for compliment though

do u have a pic of the back of the case thanks, and also i notice you have an apple pro keyboard do all the buttons (or shortcuts work)

i havent taken a picture of the back. will do when i get a chance. and yeah the apple pro keyboard works great. but i only use OS X. i completely forgot what windows is. so i dont know how it works in windows if thats what your wondering

Yea ok it works in OSX that what I was wondering because some guy tried it ad it didn't work well thanks and how did you get the front panel board to work (if you did) can you tell me thanks,

Amantheboy

www.teknojunkie.com

Nice case you have there hacOSXuser!

Amantheboy.... i must have deleted those pictures, i lost all interest in my g5 case when i got a mac pro.

An unfuctioning logic board will probably not sell/for a few $$, cant imagine why anybody would buy a broken, out of date piece of silicon.

If your placing your psu in the bottom of the g5 case where the original was then you dont need to do that wire hack i was talking about because the psu will be in the same place as the original, the only reason i brought it up was because i didnt know where you were putting it.

Thanks Smoothy Boothy

My case came with no front panel. but it did have the front button. the front button has 3 wires, but only 2 need to be connected. connect wires going from your motherboard to the front button. i removed my front button and it has writing on the back label the wires. i believe they are W B and R. my cable had a white and blue cable. the white connected toe he R and the blue connected to the B.

Thanks Smoothy BoothyMy case came with no front panel. but it did have the front button. the front button has 3 wires, but only 2 need to be connected. connect wires going from your motherboard to the front button. i removed my front button and it has writing on the back label the wires. i believe they are W B and R. my cable had a white and blue cable. the white connected toe he R and the blue connected to the B.
Thanks
Nice case you have there hacOSXuser!Amantheboy.... i must have deleted those pictures, i lost all interest in my g5 case when i got a mac pro.An unfuctioning logic board will probably not sell/for a few $$, cant imagine why anybody would buy a broken, out of date piece of silicon.If your placing your psu in the bottom of the g5 case where the original was then you dont need to do that wire hack i was talking about because the psu will be in the same place as the original, the only reason i brought it up was because i didnt know where you were putting it.
K thnaks yea was just gonna use another PSU

np, do you already have a case and tools and stuff?

yeap Me and my cousin each bought a case and we have almost the same exact spec except for video cards

got any plans? full size atx or matx?

yea a 7 slot pci so full size atx gonna use a mobo tray and what tools could I use to cut the case it the fastest way without damaging the it

I haven't no, I'm investing in building myself a MacPro =] Should be fun and I want legit OS X! But I was originally planning on the G5 Case mod and using a dremel but I thought it would be more trouble than it's worth.

I haven't no, I'm investing in building myself a MacPro =] Should be fun and I want legit OS X! But I was originally planning on the G5 Case mod and using a dremel but I thought it would be more trouble than it's worth.

yea I want to do this for the fun DIY and all that plus my MacBook Air is coming in soon.

radioshackjunk.jpg

I dropped by radio shack today in preparation of my upcoming G5-ATX mod. Definitely covered on supplies. I am absolutely not taking a dremel to the case. I found mine brand new on ebay for $160. It's mint. Anyway, most of the ports on ATX mobos are ancient legacy connectors.

My plan is to mount a full-size ATX board at the front of the case, and run jumpers to the rear-IO and expansion bays. The PSU will be situated at the lower-rear, and in a vertical orientation, with the heat-sinks facing the rear exhaust fans.

My goal is full functionality without any external mods. I don't anticipate the need to take a dremel to any part of my G5 enclosure.

I plan on using the front panel pinout from the G5 service manual, but I will reverse the power+ and led, as it seems that apple's design has the firewire and power+ somehow bridged in a way that is dangerous to standard motherboards..... it sort of makes since (to me) that that swapping the power and led would be a kind of work around, and sounds like that has worked for some.

On order next will be a Lian Li motherboard tray.

P.S.

Where the hell do I find those optical drive standoffs? My case did not come with any.