djpc47

Do you like vista?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

183 posts in this topic

First, a disclaimer. I only played with beta 1 and beta 2, and have no desire to slap down $200+ for an OS. I voted no. What I saw in the beta, I didn't particularly care for. The UAC is maddening (and Apple is dead on with that ad), the interface is too cluttered and compatibility is a major problem (not one of my games would work right with it.) That said, Aero Glass is slick, though not as impressive as Beryl on Ubuntu.

Exactly razor. Thats the point. People aren't going to slap down $200 for a upgraded XP that looks pretty.

@xtraa, when Dashboard can do that, let me know, till then, stop bitching. (3rd party extensions don't count)

Just want to let you know.

That was an easy one :P Ok, where was I? Ah yes, bitchin :)

Ok, another uncomftable thing in Vista is the Flip3D.

While it seems to be a useful feature at the first look, try to use it with lots of windows and it will annoy you.

The problem is, you have to skip through all the windows until you see the content of the first three windows.

That is not as nifty as exposé.

Ah, but see, the thing is, you're letting that Digg, macinsider, linux.org rumor mill get into your mind. A few corporations are switching, big deal, it's not that major, and you should not be so nieve to believe that it is so. OS systems accessable on the internet, last major OS release? You're talking out your ass, and looking like a fool.

@xtraa, when Dashboard can do that, let me know, till then, stop bitching. (3rd party extensions don't count)

Yes, I have candles in the shape of a Digg pentagram in the middle of my room and the voices come to me, eeeerrr dumbass, you shouldn't be so nieve to think people aren't willing to shell out $200/300 for an upgraded XP when you can basicly get more security with linux for free. Just what razor stated. I have Vista installed, tweaked and running like a top, but I'm not impressed. If my ASS could talk it would be telling you right now, that OS's will be accessable via the internet in the near future. This is from developers at Redmond and the genious boys at google. MS lied to us about what Longhorn/Vista was bringing and they basicly give us XP SP3 that has see through borders and pages you can turn sideways like your roladexing. BFD. For 5 F'n years of running betas of Longhorn and Vista on my rigs for what they put out, its shameful and you should know this if you've run OS X or a linux distro such as ubuntu or Suse 10.2.

My Lappy came with Home Premium, played around with it... ehh, the familiarity makes troubleshooting it easy (I do tech support for an ISP), then I got Ultimate installed.

Dreamscenes is totally worth it IMO, specially on my widescreen. Speed isn't too terrible, boot up is almost instant compared to the HP OEM version.

My desktop has, and will always have OS X but lappy seems to like Vista, so for now, I like it. :)

Nd

tripleboot,

> Vienna will have some of the infrastructure that was ripped from Vista because they kept failing deadlines. I believe Vista is the final Major OS release as we know it.

Can I borrow your time machine ?

> It has failed

Proof ?

> MS has a way of forcing their product on people. What we are seeing this time around is companies, corporations, schools around the world are dropping Windows and running linux ! Once people can be absoutely assured of safety and security of their information to be kept on some server in the google nebula system, OS systems will be accessable via the internet.

Yeah, it's not like DX10 depends on various things which are Vista only, like the new driver model. Don't let facts get in your way.

> Exactly razor. Thats the point. People aren't going to slap down $200 for a upgraded XP that looks pretty.

Once again, don't let facts get in your way.

First, a disclaimer. I only played with beta 1 and beta 2, and have no desire to slap down $200+ for an OS. I voted no. What I saw in the beta, I didn't particularly care for. The UAC is maddening (and Apple is dead on with that ad), the interface is too cluttered and compatibility is a major problem (not one of my games would work right with it.) That said, Aero Glass is slick, though not as impressive as Beryl on Ubuntu.
I think this thread is about RTM, not 6+ month old versions and I'll point out a reason why.

You claim UAC is maddening and in some of the early betas (I'm doubting your knowledge by you naming a 'beta 1,' but anyway), and it was but they've fine-tuned it a lot more and it is nowhere as annoying and quite frankly, if you ignore the FUD you'll realise it isn't bad at all unless you're installing programs every day or changing system files every day - and if you're doing that you might want to re-evaluate how you're using your computer.

So, your opinion isn't valid till you use the final version, sorry buddy.

And thank you track09. I think it would be fun if instead of running off like these people do, they actually respond when I call them (alessandro, djmc, gwprod12, djpc47, etc) out on their blatant lies.

Edited by robotskip

Yes, I have candles in the shape of a Digg pentagram in the middle of my room and the voices come to me, eeeerrr dumbass, you shouldn't be so nieve to think people aren't willing to shell out $200/300 for an upgraded XP when you can basicly get more security with linux for free. Just what razor stated. I have Vista installed, tweaked and running like a top, but I'm not impressed. If my ASS could talk it would be telling you right now, that OS's will be accessable via the internet in the near future. This is from developers at Redmond and the genious boys at google. MS lied to us about what Longhorn/Vista was bringing and they basicly give us XP SP3 that has see through borders and pages you can turn sideways like your roladexing. BFD. For 5 F'n years of running betas of Longhorn and Vista on my rigs for what they put out, its shameful and you should know this if you've run OS X or a linux distro such as ubuntu or Suse 10.2.

Again, spewing more lies without any substantial facts or logic behind them. First of all, the majority of people won't ever upgrade the OS their computer shipped with. These people will get Vista when they get a new computer. They don't know about linux, and it seems too distant, and to make one modification that's challenging is enough to turn them off, and you know it, you're being an {censored}. You KNOW that what I just said is true. Linux is hard to configure for joe user, and people get a "new update of Xp", with their new PC. Obviously, you don't understand the new features, let alone kernel improvements. It's far from Xp sp3, but you're too much of a zealot/fanboy ignorant dumbass to understand. READ SOME FACTS. Read robotskips link.

I just simply cannot believe that you believe that your parents (judging your post, even your great grand parents are still around), would actually switch to linux. These people just simply won't ever change their OS. They'll probably stick to Xp, then get a new Vista PC when they need one. They won't try linux because they're afraid of change, and it's really not feasible. You're just such an ignorant ass to believe they will.

I've run Ubuntu 6.10 and Fiesty fawn, openSuSE, and OSX. First, you shouldn't base your assumptions on early longhorn builds. These, in fact, were simply Xp updates, just a new explorer shell, with minor kernel changes. Then Microsoft saw OS X leaping past them. They needed to catch back up, so they decided to drop GDI+, and move on to Aero, an accelerated graphics model desktop. The whole project became a major overhaul of the current Windows code, thus why the kernel is 6.0, not 5.3, because it's full of new code. Google for the technet article on the vast kernel improvements. MS lied about nothing, all the new fancy code came in a much more impressive package than Xp. Second, after using those operating systems, I have Vista as my number 1 OS. It's fast, looks great (thats opinion), and functions well for all my needs. Linux lacks printer drivers, and is just an outright pain if I need to get something done quickly. OS X is nice, but I don't prefer it, and I do not think it's faster, (mach_kernel has performance issue, google it, don't disagree, just google). The GUI in OS X is not well responsive either.

You misread about operating systems being online some day. Do YOU FRIGGIN KNOW HOW AN OS WORKS? It has to make calls to hardware, and communicate. How is your computer going to work and connect to that server if there's nothing driving the CPU and network hardware, along with video hardware. The data from that server also then needs to be computed. Low level OSes with web apps? Definitely. An online OS? No.

Bring facts to the table, discuss in proper fashion, use real logic, then respond. If I get a response similar to your previous one, my point will be all too proven.

@robotskip Thank you also for driving these critical points home, I'm glad to work to dispel the zealotism here. Notice how they never get a clear response when you point out the lies, yet you get a personal attack.

@imrazor: UAP has let up in RTM a lot, and that add is far from "dead on", to anyone with an objective view of the Oses

Edited by track09

I think it would be fun if instead of running off like these people do, they actually respond when I call them (alessandro, djmc, gwprod12, djpc47, etc) out on their blatant lies.[/i]

Robotskip,

no offend but maybe there is a reason why the gave it up to reply? :P A possibility could be that you only see what you want to see, in fact you seem to be resistant to anything including the remarkable fact, that most people are here because they hate what you love. :) In that point, you are exactly the same type of guy than the people that you would call fanboys, because you act exactly like them.

It is good to have different operation systems, and this forum is for an operation system that can do better in the things that it was made for. I don't know where Vista is better or what it was made for. ;p

By better, I mean: What tasks can Vista perform more comftable than OS X?

Exactly. And thats the reason why most people are here.

I like Vista. Works great on my computer. I'm not sure what everyone is saying about Aero burning up CPU or memory, it ran slower without Aero on my system (Nvida GeForce FX 5500 256MB). I like all of the new features, build in Windows Update, don't use Gadgets at all, but neither do I use Dashboard often. I hate the User Control Centre, but quickly disabled it.

Whatever people say negative about Vista I disagree, it works fine for me.

IMO..... I love this war.....LMAO

btw Solaris 10 and FreeBSD and PC-BSD and Desktop BSD as well as OSX Darwin Unix are my fav Kernals to date.... how ever vista and OSX are my top 2 OS's to date.... but I not caring to much for the nt kernal though... but hey it works

Edited by MadDoggyca

IMO.... we love you too... my router runs OpenBSD:) also is my fav *nix, however I'm not entitled to say much as its my fav cause its the one I got most done with:P.... I tried FreeBSD for about 3 days before I did up OpenBSD and stuck to that:P

Edited by djpc47

You have to check out Beryl together with Ubuntu...

The effects are outstanding, watch this:

:(

Edited by xtraa

And thank you track09. I think it would be fun if instead of running off like these people do, they actually respond when I call them (alessandro, djmc, gwprod12, djpc47, etc) out on their blatant lies.

Robotskip,

no offend but maybe there is a reason why the gave it up to reply? :D A possibility could be that you only see what you want to see, in fact you seem to be resistant to anything including the remarkable fact, that most people are here because they hate what you love. :D In that point, you are exactly the same type of guy than the people that you would call fanboys, because you act exactly like them.

It is good to have different operation systems, and this forum is for an operation system that can do better in the things that it was made for. I don't know where Vista is better or what it was made for. ;p

By better, I mean: What tasks can Vista perform more comftable than OS X?

Exactly. And thats the reason why most people are here.

Exactly. And why waste time with somebody who keeps presenting false arguments as if they were facts and keeps calling liars, ignorant... people with different opinions?

Yep, if your gfx card is supported and has the correct driver, Vista actually performs quite fast.

Oh... and bitlocker encryption is available in Ultimate, but OS X had this for awhile. Still it IS an improvement for M$.

Nd

Edited by TheND

ck09-- way too long of a post so I didn't read it and probably no one else did either. Try making a point without babbling on.

Don't confuse my feedback with being a MS hater or non-user. I use it as my primary OS for now. I'm basicly saying Vista made allot of mistakes as they stopped midstream and recoded the entire OS. The results speak for themselves. An upgraded XP is all we have here. My ass is done speaking now.

I want to take this opportunity to clarify something.

True, I don't like Microsoft very much.

However I do understand the need for people (including myself) to use Windows.

But I find Vista a total failure. I have explained why many times. For instance see post #16 here.

I also tend to agree with most of the criticism from others.

Conclusion? If you need Windows stay with XP. The 64bit version particularly recommended.

One further consideration: Microsoft *is* capable of making decent operating systems. At the same time of a disastrous failure like ME, they made a great OS like Windows 2000, which was very expensive and known only by geeks. Then they made Windows 2003, another great OS. However they wouldn't listen to their users' plead to release a workstation edition. And now there is XP x64 which has been hardly advertised or supported. Why do they behave like that? Mere stupidity? Greed? Both? I don't know.

Don't confuse my feedback with being a MS hater or non-user. I use it as my primary OS for now. I'm basicly saying Vista made allot of mistakes as they stopped midstream and recoded the entire OS. The results speak for themselves. An upgraded XP is all we have here. My ass is done speaking now.

You are speaking out of your ass. Since you didn't read the post, you didn't understand. I'll be breif, and why this is not an upgraded Xp.

Original longhorn builds were an upgraded Xp, using NT 5.2, then NT 5.3 as a kernel. Using the same old non-acclerated GDI+ GUI, with just a few visual tweaks, and some elements.

It's true some things got canned, such as WinFS, but that's for the better, as it was not ready, and will likely be released later.

Besides that, when they stopped and decided to recode, is exactly why it's NOT just Xp SP3. The kernel, now NT 6.0, features numerous substancial improvements over NT 5.1 (xp), google and READ the technet article. Also, read robotskip's link. You are also forgetting the numberous features and DX10 as well. A main difference, to which, (besides the kernel), that I attribute it NOT being a warmed over Xp is Aero. Aero is the addition of a GPU acclerated GUI, (Like QE/CI), which Windows never had. That's far from service pack, that's what Apple includes in updates like 10.1-10.2. Such a large kernel migration and the whatnot leads me to believe it's much like OS X going from 10.1 directly to 10.4. (Or to 10.5).

Bottom line, you're being ignorant to facts, and not reading whats right. If you actually READ the links we gave you, perhaps you'd be more educated and understand it's not a warmed over Xp. You, alessandro, and many others are letting your Apple bias get in the way, and it embarrases you.

You, alessandro, and many others are letting your Apple bias get in the way, and it embarrases you.

Which brings me to the conclusion that you can't read, because if you had taken a look at post #68, you couldn't in all fairness say that.

In case you still don't understand, I wrote that MS is capable of releasing good operating systems, but Vista isn't one of them.

vistapoll.JPG

was taken around 8:45PM Central Time Mar.17/2007

just some info on how other polls are going, the last one I started was at the 2pac fans forum:P..... later I might maybe release info to the links to these forums, currently don't want any stalkers:P.... but for now stick to google if your interested;P

besides that the pron one has been there for some 2-3 days and hasn't changed from the from the first day till now so doubt it will change, the Writing forum one.... use to be siding on Yes but as of today is siding towards No...

some other polls:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=48946

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=669369

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2975

http://polls.cnet.com/polls/show_results.p...ate_set=news_fd

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=105334 <<< to makes things more smoothened over and makes everyone happy:S.... note this wasn't one of my thread

Edited by djpc47

@robotskip Thank you also for driving these critical points home, I'm glad to work to dispel the zealotism here. Notice how they never get a clear response when you point out the lies, yet you get a personal attack.
Yeah, Alessandro is one of the worst, I don't know if this person has ever made a reply which was actually about trying to disprove something I've said -- a perfect example is the post made by this person which I quote below.

xtraa:

> A possibility could be that you only see what you want to see, in fact you seem to be resistant to anything including the remarkable fact ..

No, just no. For example, 2 of these people claimed Vista couldn't do something, or something was changed -- I posted a screenshot proving them as liars yet I get responses like yours with some comment like I'm only seeing what I want to see.

Most of my posts have little to do with my personal opinion and I only step in if the person makes some ridiculous claim, like djpc claiming you can't change icons easily or that it was moved from previous versions or gwprod claiming you can't change the desktop resolution from the 'new' CP, so I posted a screenshot proving you can.

Please tell me how the hell I am seeing things differently.

> .. that most people are here because they hate what you love.

I'm sorry, what exactly do I love ? Vista ? I don't love Vista at all and you, like most people on here, can't make the simple distinction between someone simply disproving a bunch of randoms lying (See: above) and spreading FUD.

So, point out this thing I 'love' otherwise stop making things up.

> In that point, you are exactly the same type of guy than the people that you would call fanboys, because you act exactly like them. By better, I mean: What tasks can Vista perform more comftable than OS X?

I call people fanboys.. where ? I'm not like them, a fanboy blindly loves something and thinks it's better than everything else -- I don't do either, I openly like other products more so than Microsoft's and think there are many things in Vista which are done better in other OS.

Whether something is more comfortable is a matter of opinion, personally I prefer searching in Vista than Spotlight but I prefer Dashboard to the Sidebar (For the most part).

Exactly. And why waste time with somebody who keeps presenting false arguments as if they were facts and keeps calling liars, ignorant... people with different opinions?
Please point out these false arguments.

It has nothing to do with opinions, as I freaking pointed out (And you claim track09 can't read, oh the hypocrisy). All of those who posted an opinion, I didn't do anything yet those like you, gwprod, djpc who claim certain things about Vista, I responded to and proved you wrong and subsequently called them liars because if they had used Vista they would know what they were saying was ridiculous and wrong.

For example, if gwprod had used Vista he would know that you can easily change the resolution from the CP which I proved with a screenshot.

How about instead of trying to insult me and try and make a point that I'm attacking people's opinions (Which I've proved I'm not) you try and prove me wrong about the desktop resolution, desktop icons and all the other things I proved you people wrong about.

I use screenshots (See: Control Panel & Desktop Icons) and links to back things up (The one about Explorer separation), most of you either run away and shut up (gwprod) or insult me (djpc and alessandro).

All I ever ask for is for people to prove things (And I get the constant 'LOLOL I DONT HAVE TO PR0V% ANYTHING TO U LOLZ') and to not lower to person insults (Moderators, step in ?).

So, prove I was wrong about the separation of IE, changing desktop icons, changing resolution, how different the CP is, how I love Vista, how Vista has failed, how they've already failed with Vienna, how DX10 being Vista only is a scam, how Vista is XP only with eye candy), how most people will turn off UAC, how many things have changed postions, how UAC makes a prompt for 'everything,' etc -- till than, just be quiet because I proved you wrong on those and all your subsequent posts were useless insults.

Edited by robotskip

Which brings me to the conclusion that you can't read, because if you had taken a look at post #68, you couldn't in all fairness say that.

In case you still don't understand, I wrote that MS is capable of releasing good operating systems, but Vista isn't one of them.

Exactly. The point here I'm taking is Vista came up way short on all counts. I can google your ass into the ground with quotes but I have better things to do with my time. I'm out!

I've tried Vista (Since RC1 and RTM) and I can't really way I like iit, the only thing I really liked was Direct X 10, the new GUI was...well useless to me, I have no idea why anyone needs to see behind the menu bar, and if you turned of the translucent look, now you have this fat ugly border around windows. Now if you go back to classic view, you just got yourself a $99-$300 dollar copy of XP