Guess the date.

t3mur

48 posts in this topic

But aren't the majority of the members on this forum running OS X on their PC?

Well i hope not. I think that mac experience is so much different from osx on a pc experience.

Well i hope not. I think that mac experience is so much different from osx on a pc experience.

You mean having white plastic on your desk instead of black plastic? Yeah, I can see how that could be a very different experience.

You mean having white plastic on your desk instead of black plastic? Yeah, I can see how that could be a very different experience.

Consider a keyboard which actually has keys that correspond to those in the OS. Also, consider being able to update from Apple any time. And, consider not having to worry about drivers upon installing. Hell, it sure is worth buying a mac.

I wouldn't consider key positions (which can be easily switched) and things like drivers/updates part of the experience because for the most part you don't have to deal with those things often. The experience is what you do with your computer and how you interact with it. I suppose if an osx86 machine was very incompatible you might have an altered experience but OS X is OS X. It doesn't know that it's on a PC any more that it knows (or might care) about the tough day you had at work. The color of my computer's case doesn't change my user experience.

PS: I'll take a mechanical keyboard over ANY keyboard.

Edited by d3p0

WWDC will see the first 10.6 Cougar seeds

I seriously think that would be a no.

WWDC07's overview says "make the most of the new technologies, cutting-edge graphics capabilities, and enhanced features in Mac OS X Leopard."

If they were going to do anything with 10.6, then they would not be so specific.

This is all to catch everyone up to making the most of Leopard.

Take WWDC06 for example, "make the most of the latest enhancements to Mac OS X and the Intel Architecture."

That was very general because it addressed Tiger and Leopard.

In the past when there were OS Seeds at WWDC, it has been when the previous OS was on the shelves months before the confrence. As well, Apple is trying to convey the buzz of we are so far ahead of everyone else, look at this latest, greatest technology! Announcing a new Latest, greatest OS would subtract from their hype at the moment when people think, well maybe I should hang on for a year to get this newer one!

Apple needs to play the game and make the consumer think that buying a Mac right now is smart; it is a safe bet and it will not be sitting in the trash bin in 6 months.

it wasnt a serious suggestion, but we can all dream right?

yes we all can. matter of fact maybe they'll go over osx zebra. ( trust me in 2034 there will be. i mean when u click the start button in the air, an actual zebra will run across your desk.)

• 2 weeks later...

The Powers That Be have stated that their desire to keep Leopard off of Generic PCs at the moment is based SOLELY on their desire to prevent Apple from patching their method before Apple releases a final version that is considered feature complete.

Would you rather have Leopard now on a PC, or have it once all the secret features have been added, everything works as expected, and there is guarenteed app compatability with all the new CoreAnimation enhanced things on the way?

If they do not release their method, then it is unlikely that Apple will be able to randomly happen to patch their kernel to prevent it from running on Generic PCs.

10 weeks? It will get to ADC members a few weeks beforehand (with torrents soon after, naturally) and we have developer builds up until then. Personally I'm looking forward to the period before release when we have new builds twice a week.

OT: 10.4.9.1 would be nice as well wouldn't it Adrian :)

I don't think we'll hear much at NAB either...I wish they would drum up a little hype, but they are keeping mum...it's the opposite extreme that MS took with Vista (which had all of it's "features" revealed months before release)

Okay so now that we can't make april fools jokes on this topic anymore.. when do you really think it will come out? I dont think but KNOW that it will come out June 11th along with the iPhone.

Not on June 11th...

They need to spread the love... er, hype.

Remember, hype is what raises Apple's value, as everyone and their pet circus monkey start talking about "OH, did you see the new _____________?".

If they could spread that as a 1 item per week, they would make a killing. Not too many though because then people start to get complacent to the whole idea.

They need to do Leopard on June 4th so that Devs get a chance to get it loaded on their systems and play around a bit before WWDC so that they know "THE" questions to ask.

Think about it this way... I would be damned pissed if I was at WWDC doing the Leopard thing and found on the 3rd day of playing around that "my app doesn't work because of changes to how I am querying the filesystem being dependant on a specific system library that was removed in favor of migrating to the new Core I/O Framework and no more legacy Finder support."

Yes, that was a LEGIT problem with a database app I am developing that I have run into with Leopard, but thankfully their developer support was able to walk me through the new libraries that I should use instead and where they are located on the system. It is just one of those things that would bug the {censored} outa me if I found after I was at WWDC and then had to wait the 72 hours for a solution via the Developer Code-Level Support. Face to face rocks.

~Adrian

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...