10.4.9 update from software update

*MiK

160 posts in this topic

As in the topic title, my hackintosh software update is claiming to update my 10.4.8 to 10.4.9. Can i safely make this update without breaking down my osx?

thanks

Edited by *MiK

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304821

About the Mac OS X 10.4.9 Update (delta)

What's included?

The following improvements apply to both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs unless otherwise noted:

.Mac

* Improves automatic iDisk syncing for customers whose .Mac username contains a period (.).

* Improves overall .Mac Sync performance.

* Addresses an issue with automatic and periodic syncing as set in the .Mac System Preferences panel.

* Reduces .Mac Sync timeouts when syncing large data sets.

* Prevents large amounts of Address Book data from being changed without authorization.

* Addresses an issue which could result in properly unregistering a computer.

* Addresses issues related to syncing a large number of changes to .Mac

* Prevents third-party syncing applications from presenting an extraneous initial sync alert.

Bluetooth

* Addresses a wake-from-sleep issue for Kensington PilotMouse Mini Bluetooth devices when used with a MacBook.

* Resolves issues in which Bluetooth-based devices might not respond after sleep on some computers.

iChat, iCal, and iSync

* Resolves an issue in which iCal reminders may appear off to the side of the screen.

* Resolves an issues in which some events added to particular dates may not display correctly.

* Event notes are now synced between iCal and Nokia N70 phones.

* Adds iSync support for more devices.

* Includes iChat support for USB Video Class webcams.

Networking and modem

* Addresses a permissions issue when copying a file with extended attributes from an AFP share of an Xsan volume, via the Finder.

* Resolves an issue when using kerberos authentication with Active Directory if the user is a member of many groups.

* Resolves performance issues with Intel-based iMacs that could occur when determining high-speed network switches.

* Improves reliability when faxing in France or Belgium via an external Apple USB Modem.

* Adds support for WPA2 encryption in Network Diagnostics.

* Addresses an issue with automatic AirPort connections that use different authentication methods.

* Addresses an issue in which Network Preferences may unexpectedly quit after disconnecting a network-aware USB device while Network Preferences is open.

* Addresses an issue with iMac's maintaining manual duplex settings.

* Internal Apple modem drivers now offer the same robustness as external Apple modem drivers.

* External USB modems now report DLE-d for busy tone detection.

* Adds modem support for Russia.

* Fax receiving now works when the country code is set to France.

* Resolves an issue with dialing a modem in pulse mode to an ISP.

* Resolves an issue in the Open dialog when browsing AFP volumes within applications using Rosetta.

* Resolves a printing issue that could occur with applications using Rosetta, while logged in as Active Directory User that has an SMB home directory.

Printing

* Resolves a printing issue with applications using Rosetta while logged in as an Active Directory User with SMB home directory.

* Resolves an issue in which temporary files might use excessive disk space when printing to some third-party printers.

Aperture

For information on the benefits this update includes for Aperture, see this article.

Third-party

* Resolves issues for these third-party applications that use Rosetta: LEGO StarWars, Adobe InDesign, H&R Block TaxCut, Big Business' Big Business 5.1.0.

* Resolves an issue in which Adobe Arno Pro Italics fonts might not install in Font Book.

* Resolves an issue for Microsoft Word in which OpenType Fonts may not display correctly; this update also addresses OpenType font issues using Word 2004.

Other

* Improves the reliability of OpenGL-accelerated graphics in Blizzard's World of Warcraft.

* Improves the reliability of OpenGL-based applications on Mac Pro computer with Nvidia graphics cards.

* Includes updated security certificates.

* Includes the Daylight Savings Time Update (released February 15, 2007) which contains the latest worldwide time zone and Daylight Saving Time (DST) rules as of January 8, 2007.

* Resolves a toggling issue when zooming using the Command-Alt-8 key combination (Universal Access).

* Resolves an issue in which some USB printers may stop printing in Classic.

* Addresses an issue in Classic in which an iMac G5's built-in iSight camera might stop responding.

* Improves validation of disk images.

* Includes improved support for USB devices in Classic.

* Improves support for files with ".ac3", ".m2v", and ".m4v" filename extensions.

* Improves performance when transferring from a P2 USB reader in the Finder.

* Resolves an issue in which DVD player might not play a track that's longer than 3 hours.

* Addresses a display issue that could occur in X11.app running in 256-color mode on an Intel-based Mac.

* Addresses EAP-FAST in PAC mode issue in a TLS session.

* Addresses an issue in which incorrect encoding could be used for the files created by the “New Text File” Automator action on Intel-based Macs.

* Includes recent Apple security updates.

no, wait until jas or another geek make a release for the hackintosh version

Ok, thanks, i'll wait if it is not safe.. :(

Edited by *MiK

Ok, thanks, i'll wait if it is not safe.. :(

no one's confirmed it destroys your install or installs without trouble yet...I'm going to clean a drive and update to see what happens..will post results afterwards

no one's confirmed it destroys your install or installs without trouble yet...I'm going to clean a drive and update to see what happens..will post results afterwards

that's good thanks!

that's true too, but as you know, hackintosh version usually does not support updates like that, always destroy your hackintosh configuration because they include kernel updates

The 10.4.9 Server Update is recommended for all servers and includes updates for the operating system and various applications, services and technologies.

File Sharing Services

* Addresses AFP connection issues when authenticating Active Directory users who are members of several groups.

* Resolves SMB/CIFS server deadlocks and service interruption issues.

* Addresses NFS server non-responsiveness at shutdown.

Directory Service

* Improves authentication of Microsoft Windows clients that are bound to Active Directory.

* Addresses an issue that could prevent Open Directory authentication when using Ethernet Link Aggregation Print Service.

Print Service

* Resolves an issue that could produce many more copies of a document than were requested when using the Print Server.

Networking

* Better TCP performance for Windows clients and servers.

File System

* Resolves issues with using rsync to copy files that have extended attributes.

* Issues with copying read-only files to AFP shares on Xsan and UFS volumes are addressed.

* Resolves issues copying files with extended attributes from an AFP share of an Xsan volume.

* Addresses an issue affecting Mac Pro client connections to AFP service.

* Addresses an issue that could cause reduces performance when browsing AFP directories.

Other

* Creating and managing VLANs from the command-line is now possible.

* Resolves an issue with setting startup wait period after a power loss.

* Includes the latest worldwide time zone and Daylight Saving Time (DST) rules as of January 8, 2007 (2007-01-08).

* Addresses issues with handling Server serial number authentication if firewall services are enabled on Intel-based Macs.

* Directory listings are now properly displayed after moving directories with 'mv'.

* This update also includes recent security updates for Mac OS X Server 10.4; for detailed information on Security Updates, see this article.

that's true too, but as you know, hackintosh version usually does not support updates like that, always destroy your hackintosh configuration because they include kernel updates

that's why you continue to use the slightly outdated semthex kernel until a new one is released. for intel systems, you should be able to back up the SMBIOS kext and the kernel and replace them after the update and all is good...

I wonder if the iChat update will enhance the usage of the logitech camera that I have been having problems with. The doc page claims "Includes iChat support for USB Video Class webcams", so I'm hoping this improves my experience with it.

my plan is to follow paulicat's 10.4.8 combo update instructions except I'll obviously be using the 10.4.9 combo update while using the semthex 8.8.1 kernel. It probably won't work but you don't know until you try. I will post results for good or bad...stay tuned it's installing right this second

http://paulicat.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...rade-guide.html

10.4.9 combo update instructions:

credit goes to paulicat because these are essentially his instructions verbatim!!!!

I suggest you read paulicat's instructions prior to trying this

Also READ THIS ENTIRE TUTORIAL, PRINT IT OUT IF YOU HAVE TO, BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE UPDATE!!!!

Disclaimer: as always backup all your system and any/all important files prior to updating anything as this update could crash your system...you've been warned. AMD folks I suggest you wait for someone else to test this on AMD hardware or a fix...sorry

I've only tested this on my current desktop setup which is:

Mobo: Asus P5LD2-VM (Green) || CPU: Intel P4 630 (@ 3.0 GHz)

RAM: 4x512MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667 5300 || HD: Seagate SATA 80GB

DVD: NEC ND-3550A || Video: GMA 950 (QE & CI)

1: Install 10.4.5 (you can also update from anything as far back as 10.4.4 I've been told) as a normal bootable install. it might work on later installs this is all i've tested

2: Boot into newly installed system.

Backup kext files for later use after you have updated to 10.4.9 update, if you leave out this step the updated/modified kexts that the update installs will kill your install!

3: Open Terminal (can be found in the applications folder under utilities)

sudo -s (then type in your password)

mkdir /backup

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /backup

****if you have a 915 based motherboard you will also have to run this command in terminal before proceeding to the next step.

cp -R /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework /backup

4: Run apple software update and install 10.4.9 update

****DO NOT RESTART AFTER INSTALLATION****

5: Update your kernel, I prefer this script created by Prasys. it does all the work for you and updates the kernel with the newest version from semthex' website. READ THIS THREAD FIRST THOUGH!!! there are problems known with this process.

6: for my GMA950 (also said to work for GMA900 systems also) I ran this in terminal:

cp -R /backup/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions

***if you have a board based on intel's 915 chipset with GMA950 run the following in terminal also:

rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext

rm -fr /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

cp -R /backup/OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks

***NOTE: this step was added due to questions as to why it was left out compared to paulicat's method. I am unable to find an intel chipset of 950 (945 yes, 955 yes but no 950), only the GMA950? I can't speak for paulicat when he wrote his tutorial as to what he ment but I have GMA950 integrated video on an intel 945g board and did not run this step but video still worked.*** My assumption is to add this line to terminal if you are running an intel 915 chipset board with GMA950 video but I can't be sure.

rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915.kext

7: per Kiko's suggestion replace system.kext with old copy, type in terminal: cp -R /backup/System.kext /System/Library/Extensions

8: Copy this AppleSMBIOS.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

9: Copy this IOATAFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

10: Repair permissions with Disk Utility.

11: Reboot, don't be surprised when it reboots on it's own

Once again I followed the 10.4.8 paulicat update instructions (link above) and credit should go to him for this I'm just reposting his work for the 10.4.9 update, files above can not be found in this thread (rules violation, my apologies) . also strong work Prasys on the kernel update script and of course semthex for hacking the kernel itself, JaS, Maxxuss, etc...

Edited on 4/7/2007 due to requests to clarify inconsistencies with paulicat's method

haven't had a chance to see, I did this on a clean install so I don't have any rosetta dependent software on it. I'm gonna be working on getting my pcie graphics card working before I try playing with 10.4.9 much more though. I just tested this out because I had a spare sata drive and was bored, I'll post if i notice anything more though

Just installed 10.4.9 with the latest Semthex kernel (as meantioned in the tutorial above) on my Bad Axe 2 based Hackintosh, everything works fine. (except that my audio is not working using Semthex, so probably will move back to DaemonES again)..

If you have some comments please see my thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=45202

1049bw6.jpg

Edited by KasperNL