Apple Keyboard driver for Windows

sayumin

120 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
Hey it worked great for me !!!! Windows 7 ultimate 64bits, running on a PC. I was wondering how to do this awsome keyb work since i installed 7!!

Thanks a lot!!!!

Didn't work for me. When i run DPInst.exe Windows 7 x64 Ultimate says its unable to run the application (tried both x64 and x86 versions of the driver).

Please help!

Hi there,

I bought apple wireless keyboard and i cannot pair it with my Acer pc running vista 64bit.

My pc can detect the wireless keyboard but the pairing fail, when i pairing the keyboard have 2 options:

'create a pairing code' or 'enter the pairing code' i tried both ways but neither of them works, the code i tried to use is 0000.

Anyone got any solutions? Is that my bluetooth adapter's problem or a PC cannot use apple wireless keyboard?

p/s: the apple keyboard is not that aluminium one, it's a old fashion apple wireless keyboard but i just like it.

thank you for any solution!!

Apple alu keyboard (wired) here.

Installed boot camp and 3.1 x64 update (on win 7 x64).

Everything works, now I can see my Apple volumes too.

But my Boot Camp control panel isn't launching... He is complaining about rights on boot disk.

I would like to use the boot camp control panel for changing the behaviour of FN key on my keyboard, since I would like to use the F keys as F keys, and only after pressing FN they should become quick keys / volume up & down / disk eject.

BTW, the osd for volume and everyghing is very neat :(

could you please help me out? i cant use my keyboard on my newly installed hackintosh i used iatkos v5i can the attachment below solve the problem? if not please help me out with the steps or the attachment if possible

Hi Allisone,

I think you should try the driver coming with boot camp 2.2 update package. I also have a 2-batteries keyboard, and turns out it works with this new driver.

driver is attached

could you please help me out? i cant use my keyboard on my newly installed hackintosh i used iatkos v5i can the attachment below solve the problem? if not please help me out with the steps or the attachment if possible

Hi Allisone,

I think you should try the driver coming with boot camp 2.2 update package. I also have a 2-batteries keyboard, and turns out it works with this new driver.

driver is attached

• 2 weeks later...

But my Boot Camp control panel isn't launching... He is complaining about rights on boot disk.

I would like to use the boot camp control panel for changing the behaviour of FN key on my keyboard, since I would like to use the F keys as F keys, and only after pressing FN they should become quick keys / volume up & down / disk eject.

BTW, the osd for volume and everyghing is very neat :D

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to get proper FN-behavior working without bootcamp control pantel?

BTW, the osd for volume and everyghing is very neat :rolleyes:

Same Bloody Problem!

I haven't been able to find the solution as of yet!

I really really wish either Apple fixes this or some Genius has the answer to this!

Renaming without F2 shortcut is a real pain, especially when you are dealing with loads of files everyday!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :mellow:

Hi guys, I have figured out a working solution. I have attached all needed files.

How to use apple keyboard on Win7 X64 (any).

Lines inside quotes below aren't necessary here (refer to it, if you want to use your own extracted bootcamp 3.0 files), since all necessary files are already attached.

"""""Begin optional part""""""

Burn or mount the Bootcamp_Driver_3.0.iso

Go to Folder "Boot Camp" > "Drivers" > "Apple"

then copy "BootCamp64.msi" to your desktop.

In the folder "x64" copy the file "AppleKeyboardInstallerx64.exe" to the desktop too.

Extract "AppleKeyboardInstallerx64.exe" with your archive packer of choice.

You can remove the disk or image now.

""""""""End optional part""""""""""

Make sure the extracted "AppleKeyboardInstaller64" directory and "BootCamp64.msi" file from my archive are both on the desktop.

When it's done run the file "DPInst.exe"

Note, that the keyboard special keys will not work yet.

After that, search you need to run "BootCamp.msi" as administrator:

1. You need to open cmd as administrator ("start menu" > "all programs" > accessories > "command prompt" then right click "run as administrator")

In the command prompt, go to your desktop (cd /Users/*your users' name*/Desktop).

Then type "BootCamp.msi".

When the install is finish, reboot and it's ok!

***Note***

1. After install and restart type "msconfig" (without quotes) in the start menu and remove "boot camp" entry from the "Startup items", because it is not necessary and just

delays start-up procedure.

2. Stop and disable following services (type "services" in the start menu):

- Apple OS Switch Manager

- Apple Time Service

2. To change the fn-key behavior (to default F1-F12 and not to fn+F1 - fn+F12):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\KeyMagic\OSXFnBehavior

Change the value to REG_DWORD and value zero.

Optional: you can download bootcamp 3.1 from Apple site and update.

ENJOY!

All_files_prepared.part1.rar

All_files_prepared.part2.rar

• Like 2

Hi guys, I have figured out a working solution. I have attached all needed files.

Lines inside quotes below aren't necessary here (refer to it, if you want to use your extracted bootcamp 3.0 files). All files already attached. Added to make this solution complete.--

In the folder "x64" copy the file "AppleKeyboardInstallerx64.exe" to the desktop too.

Make sure the extracted "AppleKeyboardInstaller64" directory and "BootCamp64.msi" file from my archive are both on the desktop.

1. You need to open cmd as administrator ("start menu" > "all programs" > accessories > "command prompt" then right click "run as administrator")

In the command prompt, go to your desktop (cd /Users/*your users' name*/Desktop).

***Note***

1. After install and restart open msconig in the start menu and remove bootcamp from the "Startup items", because it is not necessary and just

delays starting procedure.

2. Stop and disable following services:

- Apple Time Service

ENJOY!

Hi M4xim.

Thanks for the guide and attached files too!

Will try right away, booting into Windows 7 x64 (64 bit) and revert with its status.

If it did, a free beer from moi!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :D

Hi M4xim.

Thanks for the guide and attached files too!

Will try right away, booting into Windows 7 x64 (64 bit) and revert with its status.

If it did, a free beer from moi!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :ninja:

Hi, no problem! Note, that I did this on a normal Win7-x64-PC (Sony VAIO laptop), not on MAC with already installed Boot Camp. But I'm sure, it does the trick there also.

BR,

Maxim

Lines inside quotes below aren't necessary here (refer to it, if you want to use your own extracted bootcamp 3.0 files), since all necessary files are already attached.

***Note***

1. After install and restart type "msconfig" (without quotes) in the start menu and remove "boot camp" entry from the "Startup items", because it is not necessary and just

- Apple Time Service

ENJOY!

great tutorial, just one question ¿where can a find the "hkey_local_machine"?

thanks

great tutorial, just one question ¿where can a find the "hkey_local_machine"?

thanks

Hello rafagzmn.

Go to Start button -> Click on it then -> Run

Type regedt32

Press Enter

You will see an Windows style Explorer view of Windows Registry.

Here you will find the HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree.

Under that, keep navigating the structure as explained by M4xim, and you will find the said values.

@M4xim the :ninja: .......... THAT SOLUTION ROCKED......!!!!!

Now It's all Fn keys without me having to Press the "fn" key near "home" key!

Yes it works!

Thanks a Ton, M4xim!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

Hello rafagzmn.

Go to Start button -> Click on it then -> Run

Type regedt32

Press Enter

You will see an Windows style Explorer view of Windows Registry.

Here you will find the HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree.

Under that, keep navigating the structure as explained by M4xim, and you will find the said values.

@M4xim the :pirate2: .......... THAT SOLUTION ROCKED......!!!!!

Now It's all Fn keys without me having to Press the "fn" key near "home" key!

Yes it works!

Thanks a Ton, M4xim!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :)

You're welcome! ;)

I'm glad, I could figure it out, since there are a lot of people facing exactly that same problem, so that sharing this solution is very satisfactory... :)

2 ALL regarding registry editing and fn-keys:

(I left out the info about regedit, considering it obvious, sorry)

A) As Chokra said in his post: to launch registry editor, type "regedit" in the start menu (not regedit32) and you will instantly see matched regedit.exe in the search results.

;) This DWORD value works as follows:

0 - your F-keys work as they should (i.e. just press F1 to access help and so on), fn-functionality (i.e. volume controls), on the other hand, works by pressing fn+(F1-F12)

1 - invokes exactly inverted behavior: secondary functionality is given by pressing (F1-F12)-keys directly, the actual F1-F12 keys are accessible by pressing corresponding fn+(F1-F12) buttons.

Best regards,

Maxim

You're welcome! ;)

I'm glad, I could figure it out, since there are a lot of people facing exactly that same problem, so that sharing this solution is very satisfactory... :)

2 ALL regarding registry editing and fn-keys:

(I left out the info about regedit, considering it obvious, sorry)

A) As Chokra said in his post: to launch registry editor, type "regedit" in the start menu (not regedit32) and you will instantly see matched regedit.exe in the search results.

;) This DWORD value works as follows:

0 - your F-keys work as they should (i.e. just press F1 to access help and so on), fn-functionality (i.e. volume controls), on the other hand, works by pressing fn+(F1-F12)

1 - invokes exactly inverted behavior: secondary functionality is given by pressing (F1-F12)-keys directly, the actual F1-F12 keys are accessible by pressing corresponding fn+(F1-F12) buttons.

Best regards,

Maxim

Hey Ya M4xim! Thx for that!

However, regedt32 is actually the File that is available in Windows since Windows 2000 and later.

I don't know the difference between regedt32 & regedit

NOTE: one has "32" and the other has only an "i".

Lastly, the value is a HEXadecimal Value....

SO THOSE who are going to edit, please do confirm that the value inside the edit box isn't longer or "displaces the last 0 (zero) towards to extreme right.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :rolleyes:

Hey Ya M4xim! Thx for that!

However, regedt32 is actually the File that is available in Windows since Windows 2000 and later.

I don't know the difference between regedt32 & regedit

NOTE: one has "32" and the other has only an "i".

Lastly, the value is a HEXadecimal Value....

SO THOSE who are going to edit, please do confirm that the value inside the edit box isn't longer or "displaces the last 0 (zero) towards to extreme right.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :)

Hey Chokra,

I did those corrections in order not to confuse newbie users even more.;)

1. This solution above applies for x64 Windows only, because I didn't attach needed files for x86 version. In the 64bit Windows is no regedit32.exe anymore, just regedit.exe.

2. Of course the DWORD value is a HEX, you are right with that edit hint: here it's sufficient just to edit the last two positions - 00 for 0 / 01 for 1 (you can actually edit only those 2 last positions).

BR,

Maxim

Hey Chokra,

I did those corrections in order not to confuse newbie users even more.;)

1. This solution above applies for x64 Windows only, because I didn't attach needed files for x86 version. In the 64bit Windows is no regedit32.exe anymore, just regedit.exe.

2. Of course the DWORD value is a HEX, you are right with that edit hint: here it's sufficient just to edit the last two positions - 00 for 0 / 01 for 1 (you can actually edit only those 2 last positions).

BR,

Maxim

Hey M4xim!

I'll keep it short. And, it's not for arguments sake.

I've been so used to "Regedt32", I still use it in my Windows 7 x64 bit, UBOMB Edition.

It works. Maybe they've hardcoded an alias for "regedit.exe" in the Registry, which they have been doing with several other Executables since long time.

Or maybe you can check out the .EXE and enlighten moi! ;)

And, you're most welcome about the "HINT"... That's what Insanely. is about, right? ;)

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :wallbash:

Hey Chokra,

I've been a bit inattentive, you're right, of course, about Regedt32.exe - it's there. I just thought you are talking about non-existent regedit32.exe... Since I mostly work with Unix, it's forgivable to me.

To make this story short, here is what I found at Microsoft:

Regedit.exe

Regedit.exe is the configuration editor for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Regedit.exe is used tomodify the Windows NT configuration database, or the Windows NT registry. This editor allows you to view or modify the Windows NT registry. It supports setting security on registry keys, viewing and editing REG_EXPAND_SZ and REG_MULTI_SZ, and saving and restoring hive files. On the left side, there are folders that represent registry keys. On the right side, there are the values associated with the selected registry key. Regedit is a powerful tool. You must use extreme caution when you use it to change registry values. Missing or incorrect values in the registry can make theWindows installation unusable.

Regedt32.exe

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program that just runs Regedit.exe.

And here is a screenshot about MS naming glory :wallbash: :

post-619253-1274952701_thumb.jpg

First of all, i'm sorry for my poor english.

I've found a solution to use apple's keyboard on Vista without BootCamp. (On hackintosh in my case)

First of all boot in windows, then insert your Snow Leo disc.

Open a new window to explore disc content.

then copy "BootCamp.msi" or "BootCamp64.msi" to your desktop.

in the same folder copy the file "AppleKeyboardInstaller.exe" or take the one in "x64" folder if you're on x64 system.

When the two files are copied on your desktop you can eject the disk.

Then with an utility like Winrar or 7-Zip extract the "AppleKeyboardInstaller.exe" content.

But the keyboard will work now.

After that, search you need to run "BootCamp.msi" as administrator.

To run "BootCamp.msi" as administrator, first of all, you need to open cmd as administrator ("start menu" > "all programs" > accessories > "command prompt" then right click "run as administrator")

Hi i have the same Problem.

I bought a apple keyboard with numpad and also cant use now these buttons.

My Problem: i dont have snow leo, cause i work on windows 7 x64and i dont have a mac yet, so i dont have access to

bootcamp64.msi file and probably also not to applekeyboardinstaller.exe for x64 and dpinst.exe or where do i find them.

could one of you pls help me

greetings marc

Hi i have the same Problem.

I bought a apple keyboard with numpad and also cant use now these buttons.

My Problem: i dont have snow leo, cause i work on windows 7 x64and i dont have a mac yet, so i dont have access to

bootcamp64.msi file and probably also not to applekeyboardinstaller.exe for x64 and dpinst.exe or where do i find them.

could one of you pls help me

greetings marc

Hi marc,

if you have read my solution carefully, you would notice, that it was made completely without a mac nearby (I had to find and download those needed files though). Did you mention those attached files at the end of my "solution"-post? Download them, proceed as described in the solution and you should be fine.

BR,

Maxim

Hi marc,

if you have read my solution carefully, you would notice, that it was made completely without a mac nearby (I had to find and download those needed files though). Did you mention those attached files at the end of my "solution"-post? Download them, proceed as described in the solution and you should be fine.

BR,

Maxim

hi maxim, thanks for ya quick answer

Ah ok, everything done now. didn't notice that there are more sites of the discussion :rolleyes: . so i couldnt get around to read the posts after page one.

but now i followed your instructions, but im not sure with this the regedit -step (last step)

i deleted the OSXFnbehavior binary and added the OSXFnbehavior DWord Value (32-bit) (-> tough i have 64bit) and changed the value to 00 00 00 00 (see the sreenshot, made by virtual keyboard)

is that right?

tryed out some keys:

BUT its still not possible for me to mute (f10), turn volume up and down (f11 & f12),

and how can i do a screenshot and do u know how to pause/play and switch the songs when itunes is minimized.

Could u please help. Nooby needs help :P

Greetings marc

post-623481-1275258580_thumb.png

hi maxim, thanks for ya quick answer

Ah ok, everything done now. didn't notice that there are more sites of the discussion :) . so i couldnt get around to read the posts after page one.

but now i followed your instructions, but im not sure with this the regedit -step (last step)

i deleted the OSXFnbehavior binary and added the OSXFnbehavior DWord Value (32-bit) (-> tough i have 64bit) and changed the value to 00 00 00 00 (see the sreenshot, made by virtual keyboard)

is that right?

tryed out some keys:

BUT its still not possible for me to mute (f10), turn volume up and down (f11 & f12),

and how can i do a screenshot and do u know how to pause/play and switch the songs when itunes is minimized.

Could u please help. Nooby needs help :)

Greetings marc

Hi marc,

so far so good. Did the fn-behavior change on your keyboard after you have changed the value to 00?

If so (assuming you have followed all steps correctly), please download and install Boot Camp Update 3.1 from Apple. This should fix your multimedia buttons too, since the main aim of my tutorial was to fix fn-behavior and other little annoyances, like to get fn+backspace working as delete (my keyboard without numpad doesn't have distinct delete button).

Long story short: as I mentioned at the end of the tutorial, just update to Boot Camp 3.1.

BR,

Maxim

Hi marc,

so far so good. Did the fn-behavior change on your keyboard after you have changed the value to 00?

If so (assuming you have followed all steps correctly), please download and install Boot Camp Update 3.1 from Apple. This should fix your multimedia buttons too, since the main aim of my tutorial was to fix fn-behavior and other little annoyances, like to get fn+backspace working as delete (my keyboard without numpad doesn't have distinct delete button).

Long story short: as I mentioned at the end of the tutorial, just update to Boot Camp 3.1.

BR,

Maxim

Hi Maxim,

i did not notice any change after switching the dward value between 01 and 00

Installed now the bootcamp 3.1 update

This fixed the mute and vol up & down buttons and the brightness butons seem to react also.

whats still not working is, to switch or pause/play songs when itunes is minimized ( like when i do sth. else on the computer during listening to music)

and i couldn't findout how to do a screenshot (in windows: crtl + alt + print)

the rest is fine. Thank u very much. how do you know this loopholes. haha

thanks

kind regards from germany

marc

Hi Maxim,

i did not notice any change after switching the dward value between 01 and 00

Installed now the bootcamp 3.1 update

This fixed the mute and vol up & down buttons and the brightness butons seem to react also.

whats still not working is, to switch or pause/play songs when itunes is minimized ( like when i do sth. else on the computer during listening to music)

and i couldn't findout how to do a screenshot (in windows: crtl + alt + print)

the rest is fine. Thank u very much. how do you know this loopholes. haha

thanks

kind regards from germany

marc

Hi marc,

well, changing those registry values should invoke different fn-behavior (as described in the tutorial). Please check, if you did everything right.

Regarding minimized iTunes, I don't know for sure, but you can definitely try this method with Sharpkeys.

Regarding Screenshot key combination: here is an official windows key mapping from Apple.

regards and

schöne Grüße aus Mannheim,

Maxim

***Note***

- Apple Time Service

ENJOY!

Hi and thanks for the files for bootcamp 3.0! it works pretty good on my 2 machines, both running win 7 x64:

1, an imac in bootcamp with the apple thin keyboard (just didn't want to install all the crappy apple drivers, sound especially needs a specific driver on an imac 8,1)

2, a PC with an apple thin keyboard

I do like the on screen display for the volume and eject buttons so I would like to keep the bootcamp taskbar program running on startup (I'm guessing that's what keeps the OSD running). On my PC however, this causes startup to delay for a good 10 seconds I'm guessing because its not a mac and the bootcamp program is searching for {censored}.

Is there any way you can package up the 3.1 keyboard driver and bootcamp installer, pleeeease? I haven't had any luck myself with it. That is, the 3.1 update installer does not install...