X1300 Funky colors, no QE/CI but res change works.

ddew

15 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get my vid card, an ATI X1300, working and this driver solution seemed like the best choice. I've installed the driver and latest X1300 .kext from diabolik's site but I can't get QE/CI going. The card is a X1300Pro with the device ID 7183 and so far I've only seen 7142 mentioned.

I tried editing ATIRadeonX1000.kext manually to add my card to it but that only results in a kernel panic when I try to boot.

Anything I can do to either get it working properly or to help out in the testing?

did you remember to chmod + chown the ATIRadeonx1000.kext and do a permissions repair afterwards?

or am i the only one who can add a device id to atiradeonx1000.kext without having it panic?

-DiaboliK

did you remember to chmod + chown the ATIRadeonx1000.kext and do a permissions repair afterwards?

or am i the only one who can add a device id to atiradeonx1000.kext without having it panic?

-DiaboliK

I've repaired everything as needed, chmodded etc but the best I can get is a kernel panic. Without that .kext I get a semi-working card with extremely high contrast, no QE/CI and no VGA output, only DVI working with a vga-adapter.

I should've been clearer but I'm busy trying out various drivers and modding whatever I can find.

Any more info you want, like ioreg dumps and so on?

I've been doing some reading on my specific card and there are a few changes from the "old" X1300. Turns out the one I have, 7183, differs from the older one at 7142. The previous version had an RV515 core and this one's got an RV516, the only change I can see is the manufacturing process when they switched fabs and went to a 90nm core.

Still that shouldn't be that much of a change, should it? I'm assuming that they're compatible as no functions have changed. Any hints on what my next step should be?

Thanks for the effort on the drivers, it really takes some dedication. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I get that panic too, but not with NATIT (ddew, how did you get OSX to load NATIT?), I edited ATIRadeonX1000.kext and changed X1300 entry to 7183 instead of 7140 but in verbose mode, 'display: specific family setting failed' (or similar) appears and OSX will not load, computer just reboots. I am now going to try chmod and chown as well...

Hi there,

I use Natit_Uni_1.0.pkg with my ATI X1300 Pro PCIe / DVI and everything works fine. My resolution is 1680x1050 an I can play e.g. Quicktime Trailer (720p) with no problem.

But the "SystemProfiler" says:

ATI Radeon X1300 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon X1300 Series

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7183

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

DELL 2005FPW:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display:

I edited my /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Info.plist but that doesn't help, obviously!

So here is my kernel log:

Natit: Starting.

device-id: 0x71A3

Natit: Found device

Natit: Found device name

Natit: Setting device_type=ATY,CarettaParent

Natit: Setting @1,device_type=display

Natit: Setting @0,compatible=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @0,display-connect-flags=0x00000400

Natit: Setting @1,compatible=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @1,display-connect-flags=0x00000400

Natit: Setting @1,name=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @0,name=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @0,device_type=display

Natit: Setting model=ATI Radeon X1300 Series Secondary

display: family specific matching fails

Natit: Starting.

device-id: 0x7183

Natit: Found device

Natit: Found device name

Natit: Setting device_type=ATY,CarettaParent

Natit: Setting @1,device_type=display

Natit: Setting @0,compatible=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @0,display-connect-flags=0x00000400

Natit: Setting @1,compatible=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @1,display-connect-flags=0x00000400

Natit: Setting @1,name=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @0,name=ATY,Caretta

Natit: Setting @0,device_type=display

Natit: Setting model=ATI Radeon X1300 Series

ATY,Caretta: Not usable

ATY,Caretta: Not usable

"ATY,Caretta: Not usable" seems to be the problem? How could I change to one of the other driver?

Any solutions to the problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Marc

Same problem here, Device ID 7183, as it turns out there's no solution for this kind of card. If you change the Kext to match ID 7183, it will only result in kernel panic. If you change it 7142, nothing will happen, but there will be no kernel panic after that.

There's one last thing I'm going to try before I'll trade this card in, this will be flashing the ROM of this card in exchange for an older one with a different ID. I have no clue if this is gonna work, but honestly, I'm kinda low of ideas after trying everything else, go on and call desperation on this :-)

If anyone has a card with Device ID 7142, it would be great if he uses Atiwinflash (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/BIOS_Flashing/ATI) to make a ROM dump and then share the romfile with us. If this won't work, at least it won't brick the card, because I can flash the original bios back in.

The BIOS method sounds good to me. I also would try it out!

Ok, i just found on the above mentioned site (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/BIOS_Flashing/ATI) two rom files.

1. Sapphire X1300 Pro 256 MB Dec 12th 2005 6:20 AM Jul 24th 2006 11:33 AM 600 / 400 Infineon

2. MSI X1300 Pro 256 MB Sep 28th 2005 9:52 PM Jan 6th 2006 1:14 PM 600 / 400 Infineon 2.5

The Sapphire BIOS has exactly the same size as the Dell BIOS!

Do they have valid id's? Is the id hardware based? I couldn't find the id (0x7183) in a hex dump of my Dell bios!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I tried everything but I couldn't get this card (ATI X1300Pro ID:0x7183) working with QE,CI. I have a few questions:

1) Is it a problem that the Natit.kext list the above card as a ATI X1300 (without PRO). Could a new version of this kernel module solve this problem? I tried to edit the kernel file myself where the id was listed under ATI X1300 (without PRO, via hex editor) but that dosn't worked really well. I just don't understand enough about this stuff.

2) Is it worth trying the idee in the previous post to change the BIOS of the card to e.g the MSI BIOS? Does it work? I looked into the BIOS file and couldn't find a ID section at all? Once again, does anybody know if the ID is hardware or software based?

I would be nice if some people who know a little about this stuff, like DiaboliK, could answer to this questions. I just don't think the problem is that big because the extact same card layout works with a different ID. It is just a software/kernel module issue.

Thanks.

I would be nice if some people who know a little about this stuff, like DiaboliK, could answer to this questions. I just don't think the problem is that big because the extact same card layout works with a different ID. It is just a software/kernel module issue.

Thanks.

my NatitX1300kext is specifically tailored to ATi x1300 cards. (so its not the driver)

osx dosent like the use of some device id's : in your case 0x71831002

unless you can flash the card to have a device id of 0x71421002 (the working x1300pro device id)

i dont think you can get it to work without doing that.

how to flash a rom i have no clue, you might have to look to strangedogs if needed.

i just get a new card if it doesnt work :)

-DiaboliK