Completely New to This

7 posts in this topic

well...

im thinking i wanna do a dual boot of winxp and osx on my pc, since i just grabed a new 320gb hard drive and kinda going, "hey, while im playing with partitions on an empty hard drive i might as well trying puttin osx on it, before its filled with my vital documents :tomato:

so i had some questions.

how can i check if my pc hardware can run osx? i have an amd 3500+

what i want to do is the ez'est less confusing way, of setting it up.

i wanted to leave 40 gigs free for windows xp boot, i guess 40 for mac osx? and then the rest for programs/games...

not one reply? :)

i gotta boot disk here, and windows xp, and a clean hard drive....

im gonna trying doin this tomorrow, first installing windows on a 40gb partition, then install mac osx on a 40, then the rest will be partition'd into another drive.

do i have to make like a 40gb fat32 partition after installing windows for mac to install too? or if i leave it just blank will mac partition it fine by itself.

ok, im gonna need more help :)

my drive is Sata =\

i download jas's patch cd with amd and all that. ran the install, all the install went fine....untill i rebooted, then when it starts

then it gives me some "error something something cpu something......." shows like 5 lines of {censored} i dont understand, then a message pops up saying "you need to restart your computer" in 5 different languages.

is that becuase the drive is sata? or cause the cpu patch didnt work? or what?

i followed the wiki-tut on duel booting with xp, but i had to format the drive and install macosx first, havnt installed xp after.

EDIT :

oh ya.

i couldnt find a list showing what i need to make sure my pc can run osx, the only one i knew was the cpu has to have SSE2 or SSE3, which i have.

EDIT2 : and i also didnt understand the terminal/fdisk part

i understood what to do, but it wasnt working, wiki said type -e/dev/disk# and all that and i just kept getting illegal command message or w/e it is.

then i tried things like fdisk -f/dev/disk0s1 (my boot partition)

Edited by Berserk87

im thinking of not bothering with this........... =\

ive never really used macosx for more then 5 minutes, i just want to test it out, but seems like kinda a waste of time, since its pretty much just for laughs...

if there is a quick ez way of getting this working, please tell me soon, or mabye give me some points that mac osx offers that might get me interested? like a tool it has that microsoft dosnt?

got it working.

i now officially have a hackintosh :(

the first problem is that it wont detect my internet connection :S

integrated network card : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller , i just copy pasted the whole thing from my network connections :P

also, im trying to set it up show a list on boot up of win or mac, and be win by default (after 5 second countdown or w/e)