25gb partition.)

3. Create a partition for the linux-swap (2x RAM size) + room for any

extra partitions. (You can only have 4 primary partitions, and

Ubuntu, Vista, and OS X will take up 3. However, we can later extend

our fourth partition and make as many logical partitions as we need

inside of it. -- I made mine a 102gb primary partition. 2gb for the

swap and 100gb for my music and documents to share between the

multiple OS's.)

4. Create a primary partition for Vista. (I made mine 60gb.)

5. Create a primary partition for OS X. (I made mine 45gb.)

6. Select the Vista partition and let it install, reboot, and run

through the updates.

7. Boot from the OS X DVD.

8. Run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

9. Select the partition we created for OS X, go to the Erase menu,

select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the format, and click Erase.

10. Quit Disk Utility, install OS X (with the necessary options for

your processor and components), and let it reboot and run through the

updates.

11. Boot from the Ubuntu CD.

12. Run the installer and fill out the forms. When you reach the

"Prepare disk space" portion of the installation, select "Manually

edit partition table" and click Forward.

13. Select the very first partition we created with the Vista

installer for Ubuntu and click the paper shredder (2nd button) to

"Delete the selected partition." Select the unallocated space and

click New, then click Add.

14. Now select the partition we created for the swap + logical

partitions and click the paper shredder again to delete it.

15. Click on that partition (which now reads as "unallocated") and click New.

16. If you don't need extra logical partitions, change the File system

to linux-swap and click Add. If you do want one or more partitions,

change "Primary Partition" to "Extended partition" and click Add.

17. If you didn't need the logical partitions, just click Forward.

Otherwise, select the unallocated space underneath the extended

partition and click New again. Change the size to roughly 2x RAM

(1024MiB = 1Gb), change the File system to linux-swap, and click Add.

Select the remaining unallocated space inside our extended partition

and click New once more. Change the File system to FAT32 and click

Add (this can be repeated for as many extra partitions as you want.)

18. Click Forward and Apply the changes to the partition table.

19. On the "Prepare mount points" screen there should be a check next

to our Ubuntu partition and a check next to the swap. If there isn't,

go back and check the partitions, making sure there is an Ex3 File

system and a linux-swap File system.

20. Click Forward, then click Install. Let it reboot (into Ubuntu),

then install the updates.

21. Boot from the Vista DVD again and click Repair. Restart and

choose Ubuntu from the Grub list.

22. From the Accessories menu, open the Terminal. Type "sudo gedit

/boot/grub/menu.lst" (without the quotes) and press enter. (Use the

password for the account you use to login to Ubuntu.)

23. Scroll to the bottom of the Grub config. and add the following lines:

title Windows Vista

rootnoverify (hd0,3)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title MacOS 10.4.8

rootnoverify (hd0,4)

makeactive

chainloader +1

#Note: (hd0,3) and (hd0,4) refer to hard drive number and partition number.

24. If you want the menu to stay up until you you select an OS, comment

out the timeout command by adding a # before it.

25. Save, restart, and enjoy.

THX

but f*cking vista write 'please replace'

but vista can't do it when i tried it

ohh i didn't say nothing

it works (at 3. time nice vista ^^'")

Thanks everything

Edited by cfg

Glad you got it. Vista's a little {censored} sometimes. I had to unplug my usb trackball or the installer wouldn't load. Also had to unplug all but one sata drive or it wouldn't install. (This is with the retail dvd and a fairly common setup!)

• 2 weeks later...

I have WinXP and SUSE installed right now. I have GRUB in its own /boot partition at the beginning of my primary HD, so I can dual boot great at this point. If I install OSX now after my XP partition, will it mess with my bootloader setup? If it does, how can I get back to how I have it now?

Thanks!

My partition scheme: HD1 = /boot | XP (NTFS) | Unallocated (for OSX) HD2 = SUSE | Swap | NTFS storage

I'm not sure, but the Mac's installer put the bootloader in the MBR automatically. This isn't a problem if the SUSE have a "recovery option" when you boot from the CD. Mandriva has it, because I suppose Suse also have it. If this is correct you should not to install every OS. Whitout check first if the Suse has the option of put the Grub in the MBR from the "recovery option".

Regards

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

how about triple boot winxp/Kubuntu/os x 10.5.2? thats what I have, err had. .i think I may have lost my winxp, and kubuntu partitions. I have osx on a seperate sata hd, and everything else on a ide HD. I used qtparted in linux to try and get rid of a unused linux instalation, and I guess i must have deleted my /etc/boot/grub.lst in the processs. is there any way of fixing this problem from the grub menu that loads when i boot? I have 2 ways of booting now. i have to go into bios and set HD boot priority to either get to osx, or linux/winxp hd's. If I go to linux/winxp HD, then it just sends me to a grub prompt, with no list.. and I cant get to my linux partition from osx to add a new grub.lst for it to boot from. plz help me

OK, sorry for the bumped...

I already had my machine Triple Booting Vista-OSX86-Hardy Heron.

Q : How to delete Linux and Swap partition safely so that OSX86 and Vista can boot normally either using Darwin or Vista Loader ?

thanks.

• 1 month later...
how about triple boot winxp/Kubuntu/os x 10.5.2? thats what I have, err had. .i think I may have lost my winxp, and kubuntu partitions. I have osx on a seperate sata hd, and everything else on a ide HD. I used qtparted in linux to try and get rid of a unused linux instalation, and I guess i must have deleted my /etc/boot/grub.lst in the processs. is there any way of fixing this problem from the grub menu that loads when i boot? I have 2 ways of booting now. i have to go into bios and set HD boot priority to either get to osx, or linux/winxp hd's. If I go to linux/winxp HD, then it just sends me to a grub prompt, with no list.. and I cant get to my linux partition from osx to add a new grub.lst for it to boot from. plz help me

i know this thread is a bit old, but might it might help others facing the same problem...

i'm not guru, but here are ways i know from my experience to solve the problem (or at least to try to solve the problem)

u can either:

1- use this to restore winxp bootloader

boot using winXP installation, get into recovery console, write this:

fixmbr <enter>

fixboot <enter>

quit (or exit - dont remember exactly) <enter>

(if the procedure works, open a hd partition soft from ur winblowz, and reclaim all the space left from the old ubuntu)

2- this procedure is to try to get back ur old grub (if it is still there of cozz)

boot with ubuntu installation cd

select rescue mode

at bash shell write:

grub <enter>

root(hd<press tab to see possible disk list>

root(hd0,<press tab to see list of possible partition from selected disk>

setup (hd0) <press enter> (assuming ur linux is in hd0)

reboot and pray

3- reinstall ubuntu

install with minimal package to speed up the process

and it is wiser to install /boot at a single partition rather than a directory

pray

hackint0sh buleh!! :)

• 1 month later...

Nice guide. Maybe I'll try the same procedure with WinXP. But first, I want to try to repartition my current disk and make it work. Maybe someone can help me out.

Current setup:

One disk.

/dev/sda1 is a 3 GB NTFS primary boot partition with WinXP only for MSN Video conf.

/dev/sda2 is a 71 GB extended partition (that is the problem) containing the following logical partitions

/dev/sda5 is a 26 GB ext3 logical partition with the complete ubuntu on it

/dev/sda6 is a 1 GB linux-swap logical partition

/dev/sda7 is a 45 GB NTFS partition with my precious data on it (I just recently switchted to Ubuntu)

In case you wonder, sda3 and sda4 where there at some point but were replaced by some number when I reinstalled the little WinXP and tried to repair my MBR and partition table. Anyway, I have 11 GB free on sda7, which I want to use to install OSx86 using the JaS 10.4.8 DVD. Is it correct that I need to shift the free space to way in front of the exented partition to create another primary partition where I can install OSx86? I know my setup is bad, but before I get a new 160 G hard drive and reinstall everything, I want to be sure that OSx86 runs at all on my Samsung X20. An initial boot from the DVD looked fine up to the point where I need to partion the disk. Do you reckon I have a chance of getting OSx86 to install with this setup?

I appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Martin

Nice guide. Maybe I'll try the same procedure with WinXP. But first, I want to try to repartition my current disk and make it work. Maybe someone can help me out.

Current setup:

One disk.

/dev/sda1 is a 3 GB NTFS primary boot partition with WinXP only for MSN Video conf.

/dev/sda2 is a 71 GB extended partition (that is the problem) containing the following logical partitions

/dev/sda5 is a 26 GB ext3 logical partition with the complete ubuntu on it

/dev/sda6 is a 1 GB linux-swap logical partition

/dev/sda7 is a 45 GB NTFS partition with my precious data on it (I just recently switchted to Ubuntu)

In case you wonder, sda3 and sda4 where there at some point but were replaced by some number when I reinstalled the little WinXP and tried to repair my MBR and partition table. Anyway, I have 11 GB free on sda7, which I want to use to install OSx86 using the JaS 10.4.8 DVD. Is it correct that I need to shift the free space to way in front of the exented partition to create another primary partition where I can install OSx86? I know my setup is bad, but before I get a new 160 G hard drive and reinstall everything, I want to be sure that OSx86 runs at all on my Samsung X20. An initial boot from the DVD looked fine up to the point where I need to partion the disk. Do you reckon I have a chance of getting OSx86 to install with this setup?

I appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Martin

OSX installation require Primary partition to be seen from other SO

With the actual Partition table you can't install osx.

To try if OSX works on your system, if tou have one, install OSX on an external USB hard disk; it is slow, but answer your question if OSX works on your system, before acquire a new hard disk or modifiy the partiton table of actual HD.

Giorgio

Yes, thanks, got that. I'll repartition my drive. Actually, on my second reply post I was asking again about the graphic card issue, not the partitioning. When does this Intel 915 issue with the blue screen or the freeze happen? It is a different error than the grey screen freeze, right? The grey one is related to the login screen from what I read in other threads.

Yes, thanks, got that. I'll repartition my drive. Actually, on my second reply post I was asking again about the graphic card issue, not the partitioning. When does this Intel 915 issue with the blue screen or the freeze happen? It is a different error than the grey screen freeze, right? The grey one is related to the login screen from what I read in other threads.

The device id of your video card, is in info.plist of this two kexts?:

- AppleIntel915.kext

- AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

Ah, I have no idea :-)

I was gonna get to this kext stuff soon. Until now, I thought these kext files are on the DVD/image in some folder. They probably are, but from Ubuntu, all I see are a few files summing up to less than 1Kb (which can't be anyway since it contains the whole 10.4.8 installation). Where can I find the two files you mention and view them?

On this interesting thread here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=889) it says:

1. Go to /system/library/extensions

2. Find All the AppleIntel KEXT files:

- AppleIntel915.kext

That sounds to me like he's talking about an existing OS X system. I do not have such, yet :P

I know I'm outing myself as a bloody newbie but everyone's gotta start somewhere, right? Google didn't answer my question. Please enlighten me.

Big thanks.

Ah, I have no idea :-)

I was gonna get to this kext stuff soon. Until now, I thought these kext files are on the DVD/image in some folder. They probably are, but from Ubuntu, all I see are a few files summing up to less than 1Kb (which can't be anyway since it contains the whole 10.4.8 installation). Where can I find the two files you mention and view them?

On this interesting thread here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=889) it says:

1. Go to /system/library/extensions

2. Find All the AppleIntel KEXT files:

- AppleIntel915.kext

That sounds to me like he's talking about an existing OS X system. I do not have such, yet :D

I know I'm outing myself as a bloody newbie but everyone's gotta start somewhere, right? Google didn't answer my question. Please enlighten me.

Big thanks.

my advice, just install ur osx on a single plain disk to try it out (usb is fine, but i prefer internal connection for the speed reason). i believe its not hard to get an old hdd right? dont mess around with ur working hdd coz u may end up banging ur head against the wall.

u cant tell what kind problem u may face until u got it installed. just install it and experience it urself. and if ur lucky (like me hehe), u might get it working out of box on the very 1st attemp.

good luck

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured, too, but I still tried to get it working on my current hd. I got stuck in the beginning already, because the Disk Utility wouldn't let me erase the partition where I wanted to install OSx86. It says insufficient privileges and some search revealed that quite a few people have the same problem but no one has an answer. Then I tried some more stuff from Windows and finally managed to bang my head against the wall (some data wiped). The permission error persists, though.

i dont know the problem for certain, but r u getting the problem with tiger distro? i had kinda the same problem too when tried to install tiger sometimes ago. to make it work, i've to get to windows, format the partition with fat32, make it active, and most important - as a primary partition. my insatallation went ok after that.

but i eventually opted for leopard and the installation was so far easier.

good luck

Ok, I'll give it a last shot with my current HD. I format as Fat32 from Windows and set it as active. However, I believe I already tried this. And yes, I'm trying to install the Tiger distro JaS 10.4.8. I opted for Tiger because I'm afraid Leopard might run too slow in my machine. I have a 4-year-old Samsung X20 with a 1.73Ghz Pentium M and 1Gb RAM. Do you reckon Leopard would run just fine?

If erasing still doesn't work I'll try with a fresh setup using my new hard drive.

Thanks for the help. I'll post my results.