Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?

Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?  

611 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?

• YES
    • NO

111 posts in this topic

I am using Tiger (10.4.10) on my Hackintosh as my main OS. I still sometimes boot into Ubuntu 7.04 and for some video work (or gaming) I will use XP Pro. I had Vista Ultimate but I chose to dump it. Yeah, it looked great, nice eye candy butI just got so sick of it asking me all the time to verify this or that. I understand why but it just pissed me off how MS chose to do it.

I have Leopard (build 9a527) on my test rig and I cannot wait to get the final edition installed on my main rig.

I'm currently running Tiger 10.4.8 (Semthex Kernel) as my main os on my "HackBook" (HP NX 6110). I have installed XP Pro on a separate partition , just in case I want to play a game or need to run a Windows - only program. It took me a while to get OSX configured properly, but I'm glad I put in the time to get everything working. It also seems pretty damn quick - faster than XP.

Quick overview of my HackBook specs:

1.4 GHz Celeron M 360

768MB RAM

40GB HD

Intel GMA 900 Graphics (QE & CI Working with Diabolik's GMA 900 Patch & Home-made VGA dongle)

Broadcom 440x Ethernet (Works with 10.4.3 files)

My experience using this is making me seriously consider getting an iMac or MacBook as my next computer. I may also try out Leopard on this once it is released.

Using it right now, MS operating systems are bloated and full of rubbish you don't need. Mac OS X does everything you need simply and easily with no nonsense. I love it and hope it gets better and better. I'm extremely excited about getting my Macbook Pro next month, hopefully with Leopard on!

• 1 month later...

I use it as my primary OS everyday. As for stable... it's better than XP! I have not up to now gotten a kernel panic, and my only application problem so far is that Garageband '08 locks the system completely. Other than that it's great!

finally got around to getting it to work on my dell laptop about a month ago and love it. i rarely have any issues with it besides it not liking my wireless PC card. my desktop has run it for about 6 months now, but i dont use it much. it has problems and i just havent worried about it. i have a 1.42 PPC mini that hooked me on OS X and i hate Windows with a burning passion, altho i hated it before i used anything else. guys at work think im crazy. i do PC maintenence for a living and touch a Mac about once a month at certain clients and i love it when i do.

yep!!! osx is my main os...i only boot to xp to do acronis backups ( dont have another hdd to make ccc work, till then ) and audio recording ( dont have external audio interface, im using on board auido, thats enough for me now ) somehow the current kext will not allow me to do mic input, sometimes it does but gives out a squeeking sound... i have AC97 via

hopefully someone can patch the kext to have mic in working...

;)

edit: no mic in --- i take this back, the current kext works. i am able to rec from mic in using onboard audio thru the use of aggregate device.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do! I do surfing, video watching, typing, occasional movie editing (imovie) and photo editing.

This Compaq v6314ea is my second Hackbook, I chose it because its hardware / videocard is close to a macbook, but with a bigger screen and all that for less than half the price. Only audio does not work properly, I am using an usb dongle

The machine runs OSX fast and smooth, no crashes. Benchmarks same as macbook

The computer came with Vista, but today I finally ditched that. Feels like throwing $100 in the dustbin.

I only used Vista for office, since msoffice ran faster on windows than neooffice on osx86, espaecially copying and pasting was easier.

I am an old time MS user (from DOS 4!) who came to MacOS in 1996 (OS 7). Worked with Macs till 2003 on OS 9, then switched to windows 98 and XP. I came back to Mac after finding an old G4 at the local recycling plant (!!!) which I took home. When I heard about running OSX on Intel, I immediately tried it on my laptop.

I experimented a lot with Ubuntu, but it remains a hassle.

I would buy a MacBookPro if I would have the money...

i use osx all the time..very stable and no crashes,unless i casue them trying to tweak my sytem...lol..which is also the only time i boot xp to use vmware to fix it, and also to make backups with acronis.

love my hackbook

My little Hackintosh is running 10.4.10 as the main system and has Vista in Parallels - just like my MacBook. I bought it for this purpose. It's a backup machine to fall back on should my MacBook choose to strike or die. Also, it's the always-connected station at home when I'm out and about.

Stability-wise it's been good to me in the days I've had it so far. It hasn't been through intensive testing, but I've already done some serious work on it, and I've never managed to crash it. (No, I don't need tips on how to do that.)

Yes it is my main OS.

Installed I have Ubuntu and OSX 10.4.10. The only times I don't run OSX are:

-At the university since my ZD1211b software does not support WPA enterprise, I use ubuntu. I ordered a 1490 to try to avoid this.

-When I want to see football matches in p2p programs and use my very favorite CorelDRAW X13 i use parallels with winXP under OSX.

System is very stable and the only hardware not working is the input of my conexant 5045 audio and the barely usefull Ricoh card reader.

I have a Panasonic T5 and dual-boot XP and OSx86. Up until recently, I was primarily using OSx86 (booted off an external drive due to some fear that I'll screw up the partition table if I try it on my internal drive) until updating to 10.4.10 slowed it down to the point where boot-up took about 3-5 minutes (on 10.4.8 it was about 1min). Almost everything works except for the headphone jack and the Intel wireless (the nice thing about Panasonic is that the wireless card is easily accessible and replaceable on their laptops; I'll get to switching it out someday). I don't run anything that won't run in Mac (conversely, there is no Windows version of iMovie or GarageBand, and I can't for the life of me get my cellphone to dial out in Windows whereas I instantly found Mac drivers for it).

It's really stable, and I'll probably get to installing it on the internal drive eventually (not as a replacement to XP, since there are times when I need WLAN- I'd care less about that if my cellphone plan was unlimited).

I just installed it a few days ago(FINALLY got it working after many months), and it's not my main OS yet, but it probably will be.

I still need XP for Office/Gaming/Some other apps, though I'm going to try out Darwine and Parallels and see how that goes. It erased my Vista partition, so I'll need to reinstall that, too, only because I'm one of the few people I know who actually don't mind Vista.

But OSX is quickly becoming my choice OS!

• 1 month later...