Connecting an old SCSI hardware sampler to osx

rick taylor

4 posts in this topic

I am hoping someone has experience in connecting old hardware samplers to modern macs, it's obviously not a popular thing to do these days, what with advances in virtual instruments. I'm not even sure why I want to. I guess I expect it to somehow act as a creative kick in the ass.

I recently acquired an old EMU esi14000 sampler, it talks to other devices using a SCSI connection. So I purchased a SCSI to USB adaptor in the hope that I would be able to use the old guy with my Macbook.

The SCSI adaptor seems to be recognized by the mac, it is listed as a USB device in system profiler:

eUSCSI Bridge Ver 1.11:

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Shuttle Technology Inc.

Product ID: 0x0002

Serial Number: 07

Vendor ID: 0x04e6

But when I try to load a sample using DSP Quattro I get the following message:

Error: it was not possible to establish a SCSI connection with the requested sampler. Please check if the sampler and the SCSI chain are well configured and terminated. The sampler must be turned on before the Macintosh.

The sampler was turned on prior to the mac, but I have no idea how to configure the SCSI chain in OSX.

Would I be better off using a different sample manger? or biting the bullet and buying a proper SCSI card for my G5?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...

I just saw... It has been over 2 years since this post was written...

Anyways…

Okay... I think, you should have discovered, that it's not an easy thing to connect an ESI400 via SCSI to Mac.

I have an ESI4000 since 2002 and always had trouble with it (with SCSI connections). Back then I only used WindowsXP, but the ESI only works flawlessly with Windows98. And that's not really 'flawlessly'…

You can't configure SCSI-Stuff, because your Adapter and the ESI itself are autoterminated, which means, they autimatically act as terminater for the SCSI Chain if no other devices are connected.

The easiest way to use the ESI is to connect your Mac via Digital Output to the ESIs Digital Input (for this you need the Turbo-Option on the ESI and you need a Coax/Optical-Converter) and then Sample the Stuff you want on the ESI…

• 6 months later...
I just saw... It has been over 2 years since this post was written...

Anyways�

Okay... I think, you should have discovered, that it's not an easy thing to connect an ESI400 via SCSI to Mac.

I have an ESI4000 since 2002 and always had trouble with it (with SCSI connections). Back then I only used WindowsXP, but the ESI only works flawlessly with Windows98. And that's not really 'flawlessly'�

You can't configure SCSI-Stuff, because your Adapter and the ESI itself are autoterminated, which means, they autimatically act as terminater for the SCSI Chain if no other devices are connected.

The easiest way to use the ESI is to connect your Mac via Digital Output to the ESIs Digital Input (for this you need the Turbo-Option on the ESI and you need a Coax/Optical-Converter) and then Sample the Stuff you want on the ESI�

Hm

I still use OS9 for my sampler & DSOUND PRO.

Also have the ESI4000

have an old G4 here with scsi, you are saying I wont get it to work with DSP quattro & OSX?

I'll be trying it tonight.

I know it wont work on intel macs but I always figured PPC wouldn't be a problem.