Protools HD PCI kinda working :)

VooD

31 posts in this topic

GA-EP45C-UD3R does not have any PCI-x slots so i presume you have PT HD PCI not PCI-x.

By the way have you tried in Leopard and maybe with both pro-tools 7 and 8?

Also hackintosh install should be done with Vanilla kernel to maximize compatibility

Anyone with a working PCI-X hackintosh configuration ?!?

Hi there which version of protools are you using? This is very important since nothing before Pro Tools HD 8.0.3pr is compatible with Snow Leopard. Also are you running in 64 bit mode or 32 bit?

Regarding PCI-X vs PCI, PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI, so if your cards work in regular PCI slots, then they should also work in PCI-X slots.

Are you getting DAE errors or something, or just "protools hardware can not be located"?

The PCI-X cards work fine in PCI slots. Although, I have an HD3 Accel system, and the board will only hold 2 of the cards (there is a heatsink in the way at the end of one of the PCI slots).

I'm using a vanilla kernel.

I have tried PT 7, but only under Snow Leopard. No dice.

I did eventually get Snow Leopard and Pro Tools 8.0.3pr running, but it's pretty sketchy. I'm not sure if it's PT or my install; too many variables at this point. I'll have to wait for the official Snow Leopard release of Pro Tools to do more testing.

I'm curious, what do you mean by sketchy? Low performance, kernel panics, or DAE errors? If I were you, I would definitely stick with Leopard for protools right now. Even official mac users are having all kind of problems with SL and 8.0.3pr.

Just looked at the date on this post, so maybe you managed to solve the issue.

Let me know

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i'm new here and I want to make a hackintosh system to run my hd2 accel system. Since I do sounddesign for films, I was wondering if the option "play video through firewire" works. It won't work on a windows machine, but does work on a mac.

Thanks Hein

Hi All, another one here for HD3 PCI Accel (but can downgrade to HD2 PCI Accel if needed)

I am literally about to buy all the kit now and was thinking of going with the same spec that Noizyboy used.

Just want to be sure on everything before committing. Is there any 3 PCI slot i7 boards that have been tried yet?

• 4 months later...

Is there any more news on this matter? I´m running 10.5.8 and have 2 PCI and 1 PCI.e slot available in my computer. It should be possible to mix PCI core and PCIe accel cards, why not?

I had both PCI and PCIe UAD cards running without problems.

• 4 weeks later...

My system is:

1) GA-EP45-UD3R with 3 PCI slots

2) Mac OS X 10.6.4 (64-bit kernel)

3) HD Core PCI card

4) HD Accel PCI card

5) Pro Tools HD 8.0.4 (32-bit of course)

Pro Tools HD itself is 32-bit application, but Pro Tools 8.0.3 or later provides 64-bit driver in DigiDal.kext and DigiIO.kext, so we can use Pro Tools 32-bit application on 64-bit kernel of Mac OS X 10.6. It's been pretty stable so far.

I'd like to upgrade it to Core i7 based system with some PCIe cards, but it would be several months later.