[HOWTO] Step-by-step 10.4.8 installation with Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

Zulu.Walker

48 posts in this topic

I hope to answer all your questions fully... as soon as I finish a local music video I'm working on :blush: Sorry, been out of the loop for quite a while, totally busy with my arse-kicking hack :)

...I'll be back! Later!

Hello Zulu.Walker

Thank's very much for your thread and pedagogy, i 've had successfull install on a DQ965 Intel but i would like to try another config with the possibility of over clocking

Could you please let me known a little more about as i've never practice overclock,

Is it possible to do it in the bios? without a windows application

what about hardware and fans ?

I'd recommend overclocking your stuff through BIOS, at least if anything crashes, it won't be taking your fully-working OS X installation partition down with it. The stock Intel cooler that comes with your C2D is sufficient enough for mild overclocking, but I wouldn't recommend using it when you want to push your hardware to its limits. There are a lot of high-end air coolers that are somewhat affordable, lots of reviews out there, Google's your friend. In my case, I chose the Tuniq Tower 120, and I'm pretty satisfied with its cooling capabilities. Also, your case airflow will be another factor on how cool your mobo and CPU will be, and may affect as well your whole system's stability.

There are a few ways to run your hardware a bit faster than stock: increase FSB (may also affect RAM speed), reduce memory timings, and overclocking your RAM or CPU (only). The first method boosts overall performance (CPU and RAM IF run at 1:1), the second increases memory bandwidth (due to lower latencies), the third method only boosts the RAM or CPU and may result in lower performance if done incorrectly (1:1 RAM/CPU is still the best way to OC IMHO). The third option is only usually done for those who have a very overclockable CPU but slow RAM, or vice-versa. The first option (CPU and RAM 1:1 overclocking) usually yields the best performance, with the second option to further increase the performance gain after option one is applied.

I started off from OC'ing my FSB and setting my RAM to run 1:1 to maximize memory bandwidth. Depending on your components, you can increase your FSB from the default 266MHz (Quad-Pumped=1066MHz FSB) to 333MHz (QP=1333MHz FSB) up to 400MHz (QP=1600MHz FSB) which is the "sweet spot" for DDR2-800 RAM. I run the bootable MemTest 1.70+ to check if my memory can cope with the higher speeds and check the stability, I usually run it at least twice (around 24+mins per pass for DDR2-800 RAM) before setting anything higher. But of course, you might need to increase the voltages of the processor and RAM as well as the (G)MCH and FSB voltages to be able to run your hardware faster; my E6300 runs at 1.325V default and is capable of taking up to 1.35V of voltage (at least that's what the box says: 1.35V max), and to run it at FSB400 (QP=1600MHz) I increased my cpu voltage a notch (up to 1.3375) to make it stable at the higher speed. I then increased the FSB to 430 to reach my target speed (3.0/3.01GHz), adjusted voltages once again after running MemTest 1.70+ to ensure my system can run stable at that speed, then started burning it in by loading the two cores using a CLI command (can't remember what it was, will append the command when I finally remember what it was) overnight to check final stability of my platform. Only then did I start messing with the RAM timings, decreasing them from their "default" timings (SPD) to timings that I wanted to use. A few passes of MemTest, an hour or two of burning in, and I eventually landed at 3.01GHz (multi7xFSB430), RAM at 860MHz (4-4-4-9, 16-34-2-4-2 -> depends on your memory!) with +0.2V to it, +0.1V to FSB and (G)MCH. For now, these speeds satisfy my computing needs, and AFAIK, I'm almost at the limit of what my hardware can take. A 1.2GHz overclock is really good considering the E6300's original clock speed is only 1.83GHz, with only a few voltage adjustments. I love the Core2 architecture.

For starters, you can try pushing your FSB in slight increments (+5/10 per try) to see how fast you can run your components at their default voltages, then increase the voltages (only up a notch, don't overdo it or you might burn your components especially if they can't handle the heat associated with increasing voltages) if you want to see if your hardware can run a bit more faster. Rinse and repeat. Don't forget to have your utilities ready to boot, I don't recommend running your OS with an unstable hardware configuration that may cause hardware lockups, OS corruption, and even, components burning out.

Good luck ;)

edit after getting ethernet working:

Damnit the main thing I was hoping would get fixed was the speed of loading pages... its still the same. It takes pretty much exactly 5 seconds to start loading a new webpage, regardless of the webpage its always 5 seconds. Say I go to google.com in Safari, if I start counting when I hit enter it will take 5 seconds before the little blue bar starts to progress past the first little "chunk" in the URL bar then displays "Google Search" as the title of the page. Basically it does absolutely nothing for 5 seconds. Going to google should take less than a second, it does on a real mac at school and it does for me in Vista. CNN.com is the same thing as well as every other webpage in the world. However, once I go to that website and cache it then its back to normal speed (like if I went to forum.insanelymac.com, it will take atleast 5 seconds before it starts to load the page but theres no delay when clicking on threads). Its especially brutal when I go to a website that puts you through 3 or 4 redirects because of cookies, like hotmail.com, it can take almost 30 seconds before I see the inbox, on Vista its just around 3 seconds. Its not safari either because FF does the same thing. The weather widget also takes ages to load the weather.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing with websites? I imagine it might be my modem, but that would be weird (qwest DSL Actiontec wireless modem).

It looks like an issue with your wireless modem, although I do not even know what to suggest as I haven't set up a wireless connection with my hack (paranoid android me).

Sorry, I can't help you there! ;)

another question... Is the audio supposed to have no bass? Sound is very tinny since theres no bass at all. When adjusting the bass in itunes from zero to max there is very very little difference. I chose 3 channel audio instead of 6 channel since I only use headphones, I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Try the other installation options, you might have better luck with 3ports+digital or only 3ports. I used 6ports (no digital) and it works perfectly. I doubt it'll take down your whole system with it if you mess around with the different installation options. Also, trying out the other ports might work, sometimes channels/output jacks are assigned differently compared to their defaults in Windows. There's nothing else I could think of right now, just that.

HTH!

I managed to fix everything. For the audio I installed the 2ch package in the skippyretard post instead of the 883 package. I use headphones so I bet the bass was being fed through the subwoofer jack when I selected 6 ports and 3 ports.

For the internet it was a problem with my modem. I had some port fowarding or something set for the modems router features. I just now deleted that stuff and reset the modem, after that the internet worked fine in OS X. I wish I could have done that a really long time ago when I was still on AMD...

I have a gigabyte p965 ds3.. I have yukon 88e8056 ethernet and azalia audio.. I hava 2x160 maxtor sata hdd (I like raid but I'm trying with one only hdd). Do I have to set ahci mode or ide mode for my hdd?? how can I make my hahckintosh recognise the azalia and ethernet? thanks

The latest 10.4.8 install DVD (with all the patches!) should have basic support for all the features of the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. In my GA-965P-S3, I've set the Onboard SATA (ICH8) to Legacy and AHCI off, with the JMicron IDE/SATA at IDE mode. If after the installation your ethernet and sound does not work, you can try the default patch provided by Pion for the GA-965P-DS3 and other similar boards here at rapidshare. Only when you get everything working right can I recommend an update to 10.4.9.

HTH~!

Hey Zulu,

Thanks for this write-up. This one being more recent helps alot. I got a few questions:

1) DS-4 or DQ6 working with this?

2) Only 2 x Sata HDDs? Can we get 3 or 4 working altogether?

3) IDE now works without SATA converter, correct or wrong?

4) Do we get all of our native speeds? Hard-Drive speeds? CPU and GPU speeds?

5) Where do I find the PPF1 patched JaS file (you can PM me this if you want). I can only find:

JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3

JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p

One is 3gigs, the other is 640mb or so. Which one is accurate?

Sorry for so many [newb] questions but I want to get this thing up and running at full speed. Or else I'll be forced to sell and actually buy a lesser Mac Pro. =(

Hey Khid, some answers:

1) It should, there are minor differences between the mobos you mentioned, most of them solved with a simple kext mod

2) I currently have 4 SATA drives, check sig. 2 are on Intel ICH8 set at Legacy, non-AHCI mode

3) If the disk image used for installation already has a JMicron patch, IDE should install/boot natively

4) I've seen a Mac Pro 3.0GHz 4GB DDR2-RAM with 10k RPM Raptor as Boot run at around 220+ (Xbench, not really reliable though). That's around what I get (225-235), and it looks fast enough to be at "native" speeds for me, but with only half the RAM... need more RAM... *repeats in a daze*

5) You can try the latest 10.4.8/10.4.9 combo, it should have all the patches available

To allay your fears, here's a few of my old Xbench disk-only benchmarks:

Hitachi SATA RAID-0 (ICH8)

Results	126.16	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.4.9 (8P2137)
	Physical RAM		2048 MB
	Model		ACPI
	Drive Type		SoftRAID_Media
Disk Test	126.16	
	Sequential	185.30	
		Uncached Write	236.41	145.15 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	232.16	131.36 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	110.02	32.20 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	252.51	126.91 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	95.64	
		Uncached Write	50.60	5.36 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	162.68	52.08 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	108.27	0.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	149.77	27.79 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Hitachi SATA T7k250 Single (ICH8)

Results	76.24	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.4.9 (8P2137)
	Physical RAM		2048 MB
	Model		ACPI
	Drive Type		HDT722525DLA380
Disk Test	76.24	
	Sequential	116.30	
		Uncached Write	114.87	70.53 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	114.91	65.01 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	109.30	31.99 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	127.61	64.14 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	56.71	
		Uncached Write	22.78	2.41 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	99.96	32.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	101.47	0.72 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	147.55	27.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Seems like the HFS+ filesystem is a bit slower in throughput than what I can recall compared to when I was using Windows and NTFS, but not by much. I haven't seen any good disk benchmarking utilities for Mac OS X, so I'm stuck with Xbench, but it does not vary as much in the hard disk tests as with the other benchmarks. I'd really like to know if my disks are actually running at their fastest, I'm not sure if HDTach (WinXP) results are good enough for cross-platform comparisons.

HTH!

Thanks for the fast reply. The idea of just being able to run on a DS3 board is slowly changin' my mind. I sent you a PM just now, hope ya got it.

Nevermind this last part.

Thanks

The RAID media is only a data partition, not my bootable partition. RAID mode is provided only through software as OS X does not support the RAID mode that is built-in with the motherboard controllers. You can set up a RAID array through Disk Utility or by using third-party software solutions, AFAIK there are no motherboard RAID controllers that provide a reliable solution for better disk throughput.

If you have an S3, select IDE mode all the way. I've done some somewhat conclusive tests with the different modes of operation in the BIOS for the SATA devices and found that setting everything at non-AHCI Legacy mode (on the S3 at least) provides the best performance (by only a few MB/s however) and enables the use of all 4 ICH8 SATA ports (setting it to AHCI in BIOS only provides 2 SATA ports in OS X due to Intel's AHCI-support stupidity).

I'd be glad, however, to retest all settings if someone could suggest a good disk benchmarking utility for OS X. So far I've only used Xbench for all my disk tests, and we all know how unreliable Xbench's results are :)

• 1 month later...

Hello Zulu.Walker.

Frist, thanks for your guide. And second, I would like to know if you can help me. I have installed the jas Mac OS X following your instructions and all is ok. But I did it with a IDE DVD-drive(connected to IDE). The problem is that I can't install/open files with .dmg extension.

Note: After installation I set SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to AHCI and activated Native IDE Mode.

What can I do?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

first of this is my first post to this place, 2nd thank you everyone who have contrabuted to this amazing world of osx on a gigabyte mbo.

I have a GA-965P-S3 + e6300 1.8 + 2gig o ram

installed off usb DVD drive to 80 gig PATA drive after finding out that my pioneer DVDRW 110D would`t let me install so swaped for a DVD reader i had lying around and bingo it carried on installing.

so hope get network going now, was reading the DS3 motherboard thread till descoverd this one today.

this is one happy froggy saying a big thankyou & one day I`ll over clock to 3 gig, or as close as i can get

A warning to all those who still use PATA/IDE optical disc drives (ODDs) on the GA-965P-S3 or on any Jmicron-controlled IDE port:

...There are numerous reports (online) of Parallel ATA/IDE DVD burners not working (burning at least) with PATA Jmicron controllers; I myself have burnt cakeboxes of coasters before I replaced my legacy IDE DVD re/writers (tried all 4 PATA burners I had around - TSST, Pioneer, LiteOn, Sony) with native SATA burners. If you have this problem, The only thing I can suggest is use an IDE-USB2.0 converter/ext.enclosure (cheapest solution, not reliable), plop more cash on an ext.IEEE1394a/b 5.25" enclosure, or invest a bit more and replace it with newer SATA ODDs.

I should have put up this warning way before, but I have only confirmed it recently after I killed my external USB2.0 DVDRW and tried burning with the onboard PATA port, with much frustration. I wish you luck and much success with your OS X experience.

i burnt my first disk today in osx it works ok, used my ide drive with no probs though i patched it first with PatchBurn4.0.4

This may be a dum question but in what way dose it knacker the drive ie how dose it do it, sounds like mac owners tying to scare pc owners 2 me, oh well

I have a nividia 7600 any one get dual view working also where can i get best/working drivers for this card, Thanks in advance.......6300 now @ 2Ghz

A warning to all those who still use PATA/IDE optical disc drives (ODDs) on the GA-965P-S3 or on any Jmicron-controlled IDE port:

...There are numerous reports (online) of Parallel ATA/IDE DVD burners not working (burning at least) with PATA Jmicron controllers; I myself have burnt cakeboxes of coasters before I replaced my legacy IDE DVD re/writers (tried all 4 PATA burners I had around - TSST, Pioneer, LiteOn, Sony) with native SATA burners. If you have this problem, The only thing I can suggest is use an IDE-USB2.0 converter/ext.enclosure (cheapest solution, not reliable), plop more cash on an ext.IEEE1394a/b 5.25" enclosure, or invest a bit more and replace it with newer SATA ODDs.

I should have put up this warning way before, but I have only confirmed it recently after I killed my external USB2.0 DVDRW and tried burning with the onboard PATA port, with much frustration. I wish you luck and much success with your OS X experience.

Hi this is my first post well i said thnx for the help to us you are saying

If i try to boot my Hd on Ide wont work??

if i have this thing dont work too?

A-IDE2SATA-20330-unit.gif

If the radeon x300Se 128 are incompatible

I only have an ide Hd and ide DvdRom Pionner 111d :)

Sorry for my bad english i Speak Spanish and tahnx for all the help to all the newbies :D:D

I have this MOBO and works great but i cant load the Os when logo try to load up will crash!!

Ok so I followed your guide to install OSX on my machine, and the whole installation process ran fine, no problems. However, I can't get OSX to boot up past the gray apple logo with the little spinning thing under it. One of three things happens:

1. Screen goes black, HDD activity stops, nothing happens

2. Gray "you need to restart your computer" screen pops up

3. A little white box with a gray "NO" sign appears where the leaf on the gray apple normally is.

The third option only happens when I DON'T have SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS.

I tried using the -v option while booting, but the whole screen goes black before I get a chance to see what's wrong. HOWEVER, I can see that one of the lines says something about the display failing to initialize, or something. Does this have anything to do with it hanging? Are there any known issues with NVidia 7600GS cards?

Thanks in advance for any help!

System Specs:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

Intel Core2Duo E6400 2.13GHz

2GB RAM

NVidia 7600GS 256MB

EDIT: Figured out my problem-- issues with my video card. Followed insturctions in a different thread, and now OSX runs fine. Now my only complaint is no drivers for my Audigy 2, but I know I won't find anything as far as that goes :)

I have a board with the same chipset and same jmicron controller. It is a p965 but from Asus. In your post you mention changing the SATA settings to IDE. But you also mention you have a raid array used only for storage. If you set your bios so that the chipset has the sata controllers in IDE mode, how are you accessing your RAID array when you boot into Windows.

I am getting the same version of osx you have installed. I am going to try again.. hopefully with this ppft patch I will not get an plist error when I boot to the DVD to install.

I don't do windows anymore :huh: RAID arrays (only the Hitachis) are formatted in HFS+ and I don't care if Windows can't access them ;) Windows only lives now, stripped of fat (tinytinytiny), in a small gaming partition and in a Fusion virtual machine. RAID-0 is provided through SoftRAID, an app that installs a kernel extension. External RAIDs are hardware.

I'll update my [HOWTO] using uphuck's v1.3 DVD and PascalW's 10.4.10 update. Really busy to verify what I've written using JaS' 10.4.8 installer, and most of the problems are gone with uphuck's v1.3 10.4.9 dvd.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody every have problem setting up Audio with this motherboard? I tried to use the pkg from one of the post here, but 10.4.10 won't recognized my audio. I cannot figure out my problem with network, so I just put a Netgear card in there and it's working fine now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

First of all - great respect for making this manual! Finnaly I've got my Ethernet controller working. But still have a problem with sound. I just cannot get how to install it. Done everything mentioned in this tutorial, but still with no success. Now I have this speaker icon on a finder bar, I can even adjust sound volume, but cannot get ANY real sound from it. I have GA-965-S3 and according to motherboard's manual - ALC888 sound chip installed. But, just in case, I've tried all of Skipped's packages with no luck. Any other ideas maybe?

P.S: JaS 10.4.8 / symthex 8.8.1

P.P.S: BTW, I've also tried this "GA-965-DS3 pack.dmg" with the same experience...

Hi guys!

First of all - great respect for making this manual! Finnaly I've got my Ethernet controller working. But still have a problem with sound. I just cannot get how to install it. Done everything mentioned in this tutorial, but still with no success. Now I have this speaker icon on a finder bar, I can even adjust sound volume, but cannot get ANY real sound from it. I have GA-965-S3 and according to motherboard's manual - ALC888 sound chip installed. But, just in case, I've tried all of Skipped's packages with no luck. Any other ideas maybe?

P.S: JaS 10.4.8 / symthex 8.8.1

P.P.S: BTW, I've also tried this "GA-965-DS3 pack.dmg" with the same experience...

Try with ALC883, and click in 6 ports option.