Using XCode in OSX86 through VMWare ?

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

First, sorry for my poor English.

I have installed OSX86 (JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3/PPF...) on a partition of my internal hard disk, on a Dell Optiplex GX620. Everything works fine (except sound and sometimes Ethernet not recognized). I can boot on Windows XP or OSX86 without problem.

Then I installed VMWare on my XP partition, and managed to boot my OSX86 physical partition through VMWare. Found it pretty cool (even if Ethernet in OSX86 was now completely disabled).

Then I booted in OSX86 (no VMWare this time), downloaded XCode and installed it : seems to work like a charm.

Then I booted back in Windows XP and tried to launch OSX86 through VMWare again : IMPOSSIBLE ! :) I have the grey Apple startup screen but it goes black and keeps displaying an error message about a missing library, and never finishes booting.

I still can boot OSX86 normally, without VMWare.

1. Does anybody have an explication for this strange behavior ?

2. Did anybody manage to launch XCode + OSX86 through VMWare ? (I need XCode but I would like to use Windows in the same time...)

Thanks for any help or advice ! :)

Hello everyone,

First, sorry for my poor English.

I have installed OSX86 (JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3/PPF...) on a partition of my internal hard disk, on a Dell Optiplex GX620. Everything works fine (except sound and sometimes Ethernet not recognized). I can boot on Windows XP or OSX86 without problem.

Then I installed VMWare on my XP partition, and managed to boot my OSX86 physical partition through VMWare. Found it pretty cool (even if Ethernet in OSX86 was now completely disabled).

Then I booted in OSX86 (no VMWare this time), downloaded XCode and installed it : seems to work like a charm.

Then I booted back in Windows XP and tried to launch OSX86 through VMWare again : IMPOSSIBLE ! ;) I have the grey Apple startup screen but it goes black and keeps displaying an error message about a missing library, and never finishes booting.

I still can boot OSX86 normally, without VMWare.

1. Does anybody have an explication for this strange behavior ?

2. Did anybody manage to launch XCode + OSX86 through VMWare ? (I need XCode but I would like to use Windows in the same time...)

Thanks for any help or advice ! :)

you can always us native osx and run xp in parallels

I would second DiaboliK's suggestion here; XP in Parallels on just about every system[as long as you have sse3, or a fast processor, don't necessarily need VT-X] will be MUCH faster than osx86 in VMWare. I'm on a cruddy Pentium 4[sSE3] and XP runs at almost native speed!

Thanks, I'll give Parallels a try.

By the way, I thought that the performances of Parallels in OS X and VMWare in Windows were quite similar. What is the reason for the difference ?

Well Parallels is geared toward PCs/Macs that have the VT-X instruction set, but it still flies without it. My best guess is that Parallels is just better optimized overall, but don't quote me on that. Lol.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...