No Wake From Sleep - Discussion / Fixes thread

munky

219 posts in this topic

Well here's what I've seen recently...

With my rig, i had a fully working sleep setup with JaS 10.4.6-7. It would wake, NIC, display, etc...all working. Then, I moved to 10.4.8 and lost the sleep feature. When the system would resume (if you call it that) it was basically rebooting the whole system. So sleep would kill all power and drives and they wouldn't even resume -- just booted from scratch.

In the past 48 hrs. I've tried 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 (without any additional tweaks/kexts) and knowing that sleep's always seem to have been an issue past x.4.8, I tried it in both...both times, the systems power suspended, then when I repowered the rig, I got the boot screen (black) and had the 5 sec countdown timer, then hit enter and as it would go...my system literally (under both 9 and 10 (with 8.9.1 and 8.10.1) wouldn't even boot! :)

I may try this weekend to keep playing with the x.4.9 disc with ACPI kexts and see if I get anywhere.

With my rig, i had a fully working sleep setup with JaS 10.4.6-7. It would wake, NIC, display, etc...all working.

Did you successfully manage to wake the display (GMA950) when using 10.4.6-7? In your sig, it says GMA950 (disabled) so I am not sure which GFX chip you were using in 10.4.6-7.

i tried the 10.4.6 version and it b0rked my install... :/

gonna install 10.4.10 at some point... ho hum.

munky,

I'm sorry my 10.4.6 trick didn't work for you (and messed up your install). Oh well. Good luck, this is a tough problem, and seems to be heavily hardware dependent.

-lighthouze

Did you successfully manage to wake the display (GMA950) when using 10.4.6-7? In your sig, it says GMA950 (disabled) so I am not sure which GFX chip you were using in 10.4.6-7.

quasar_x,

I've never really used the GMA950. I've always had the X1600XT Silent running and it was the card that in x.4.6-7 that would sleep and resume like a champ. Then somewhere in x.4.8, it was lost and hasn't worked the same since (which is a real bummer).

FYI, using Uphuck's 1.3 as well.

Take a look at my signature (red color are the sleep problems)

Any ideas ?

S3 works ok, but USB key and mouse are dead.

Using PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard helps but unfortunately sometimes they just doesn't boot with system :)

Let's say 1 in a 5 times. (system boots but PS2 keys and mouse are unresponsive)

Well, I copied the 10.4.6-7 kext for 'AppleACPIPlatform' to my 10.4.9 install, repaired permissions, and rebooted...

I got that same damn black boot screen asking me which drive to boot from (hda1,0 or something similar) and sure enough, system still wouldn't boot.

:P

there is something weird going on with sleep function...

Sometimes, after resuming, it just stays on "beach ball of death" instead of bringing desktop or asking for a password....

(LAN is working, (I can tell it by working ICQ), monitor/video is working (I see beach ball), usb mouse is working (I can move beach ball), usb keyboard is working too (I resumed computer by pressing a key)

Kernel / finder problems ???

sometimes it's working like it should...

I have bios set on S3.... S1 doesn't shut down fans but resumes ok everytime

Stander,

I updated from 10.4.8 to 10.4.10 and experienced the 'no sleep' issue. After seeing you set your bios to S3, I tried that and nothing changed. Then I wasn't sure where AppleSMBIOS.kext v. 1.0.6 was so I just copied the one from the latest 10.4.10 PKG and sure enough, after trying out the sleep, I got a blue screen with some jibberish so I just powered down and called it a night.

If my memory recalls correctly, I had my bios set to 'auto' (never really touched it) and with 10.4.6-7 and it did sleep properly. Ever since 10.4.8 though, this has been an issue.

How can you tell which version of AppleSMBIOS.kext it is?

Yes I can, but you can read it aswell, from my signature :P

I'm using AppleSMBIOS.kext version 1.0.6

Anyway it's strange here... usually when I left it sleeping for couple of hours (4-5 or more) i can wake it but there is no finder or desktop :/

Everything else works, but I can't do anything (exept moving the "beach ball" all over the black screen) :) Must restart it.

It looks like something is discharging over period of time...

And one more time... if I set S1 in Bios (power management setup) it resumes from sleep ok everytime... But unfortunately S1 leaves computer FANS running... so S1 isn't real deal...

anyone know what this error means?

my thinkpad t-60 sleeps finr but on wakeuo i get the following:

Error 0192: System Security - Embedded Security Hardware tamper detected" and get beeps

any thoughts on how to fix this?

this is the one thing keeping the ThinkBook from being 100%

ThinkBook T-60

Intel Centrino Duo (both cores working)

Intel 950 GMA (works perfectly)

AzaliaSound (works perfectly)

DVD Player (works perfectly)

Wireless (swapped intel for atheros mini-PCI - works perfectly)

Sleep (sleeps fine, just can't wake up)

Hi!

I've tried with 1.0.6, Stander, but when I move the mouse to wake up, the screen keeps black....... ¬¬

Thank you anyway :P

you move the mouse ? are you kidding me ? :)

You must press the mouse button or any key on keyboard to wake computer.... it's not sleeping monitor in windows

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I just found out that ApplePCIConfigurator.kext must be loaded for me to have usb after S3 sleep. That kext is not in all Combo Updates, so it's a quite old one. The ACPI related drivers which are currently loaded are:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (2.7.1d6)

IOACPIFamily (1.2.0)

AppleACPIPlatform (1.0.10)

AppleACPIButtons (1.0.10)

AppleACPIPCI (1.0.10)

ApplePCIConfigurator (1.0.4)

The ApplePCIConfigurator.kext is in the attachment.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BOELWSGN

Addionately, I have to uncheck "Wake for Ethernet network administrator access" in System Preferences to have Ethernet after wake-up.

Hi there!

For me sleeping was ok with 10.4.8 and sem`8.8.1 yesterday i updated to 10.4.9 with 8.9.1 from netkas and sleeping (and awakeing) still is ok, but when i want to awake from monitor sleep i`ve the black screen what i think everything is working except video.

Can i anywhere disable monitor sleeping?

specs re in sig.

thx in adv

Since it's my first post i'll make it interesting :)

With Ebert's package, my bios (Asus) is detected by profiler. It's an A8N-Sli

However, cpu is reported at 3.7ghz (it's 3800+.. not correct)

Don't think its actually running at that speed :)

Anyway, with those kexts i can only sleep S1 not S3 (or S1+S3 in bios..) I must select S1 for it to work.

I went back to 10.4.10 kexts and S1 works too. Not S3

I don't know the difference between S1 and S3.. Can anyone explain ?

Also, i left powermanagement.bundle but it's not picked up. Guess i need the older kext combination for it to do anything ?

Still, happy to have sleep now on A8N it was the only thing bugging me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

i have the uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i osx86 installed and the sleep makes my monitor go black but i never see my power button go off or my status light go to "standby or sleep" (green when on and orange when sleep)

is that the same problem everybody else is having? of course nothing wakes it up i have to power off then power back on..

when i had JaS 10.4.7 installed it used to go to sleep (blink orange) then auto wake back up....

More info - if it helps.

My new build - Bad Axe 2, ASUS 7300GT - sleeps fine (S3 Deep sleep - monitor off / unit off ).

Running 10.4.10 - Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May 23 16:33:00 PDT 2007

My only issue I have is that i cannot wake it via the USB mouse/keyboard.

I found it would wake if I plugged in any other USB device.

My input devices must be reset (unplugged/repluggged) manually.

It looks the USB ports are not being reset.

I've seen others mention these symptoms as well, but I believe not all Bad Axe users have this issue.

Nothing helpful I can find in the logs.

Sounds similar to other's USB problems posted here.

Ive got a LG P1 express (945) and the sleep works fine in 10.4.6, also the internal keyboard works after a sleep..? but when i tried 10.4.8 it doesnt wake up from sleep, and keyboard dont as well...

hi my iPC is very strange (it does everything that shouldn't do)for exemple

e can boot mac os disk on a DVDrw and all sort of stupid things that

shouldn't do.

sleep is one of this things

i have a P4 2.53GHz SS2

a Asrock P4vm8oo

1GB ram

Nvidia 5500 256Mb AGP8x

250Gb Sata drive with OsX 10.4.10 and 8.9.1 kernel for SS2

so if i put the pc to Sleep it goes to sleep and when i push the power button the PC gets back on MacOsX

and i jusk have to wait a few sec. for my HD drives to boot up (like sleep mode on Windows)

Man i don't know it just works(and it wasn't just one time; i do it all the time; when i go to somewhere else i put it to sleep and i wake it and its ready to work) like windows vista and linux fedora (i do the same thing when i'm in those OSs

Oo

Can anyone send me this file (ApplePCIConfigurator)

I can't download from megauploader, it's not working. My hack is waking up from s3 sleep, but I need to plug in my usb mouse+keyboard when it wakes.

Drop me a PM. I'd really appreciate it!!

- Synaesthesia

Hi again,

I just found out that ApplePCIConfigurator.kext must be loaded for me to have usb after S3 sleep. That kext is not in all Combo Updates, so it's a quite old one. The ACPI related drivers which are currently loaded are:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (2.7.1d6)

IOACPIFamily (1.2.0)

AppleACPIPlatform (1.0.10)

AppleACPIButtons (1.0.10)

AppleACPIPCI (1.0.10)

ApplePCIConfigurator (1.0.4)

The ApplePCIConfigurator.kext is in the attachment.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BOELWSGN

Addionately, I have to uncheck "Wake for Ethernet network administrator access" in System Preferences to have Ethernet after wake-up.