Don't let OS X fry your CPU! Temperature problems for my laptop

MaurizioP

38 posts in this topic

Hello ppl, I wonder if someone else found some problems with fan speed control, I'm using 10.4.8 w/semthex 8.8.1 SSE3 updated 27 November (latest that I know?!?)

I had been using JaS kernel 8.4.1 without problems for about a month, now that I've updated to 8.8.1 my fan, after a while OS X is running, gets stuck at a locked speed. For example, I turn the system on, fan updating speed upon cpu temp, then fan stops because cpu is cold (I'm on a laptop), then it NEVER starts again, so I find my core duo at 95° DEG Celsius (100 Celsius is water ebollition for u using Fahrenheit)!!!!

If I reset it, the fan immediately starts, but never stops after OS X is running... fan keeps running at full speed even if CPU gets cold!

So PPL watch out your CPUs! :D

I'm running JaS 10.4.8 Semthex 8.8.1, Toshiba a110-180 i965, core duo T2050, 80GB SATA HD, 2GB DDR@533, GMA950

Mine starts-up ok and it's calm and cool but after I use os x for some time the fan speed gradually increases until it sounds like a jet fired in my room. (I think that this meens that the CPU temperature monitoring and fan speed are working properly). This happens with 8.4.1 and 8.8.1. This never happens in windows (it's ultra quite no matter what I do in windows).

I guess that OS X uses the processor more vigorously than windows.

It seems like the chipset is not updating fan speed control, it starts cool, so the speed is low, and when temperature grows the fan speed stays alike. Please do this test 4 me: try to reset your PC while it's warm, see if after booting up the speed stays high, like happens for me.

Thank you

I guess that OS X uses the processor more vigorously than windows.

it is the fact that it is not apple hardware that it doesnt run at the right speed. the os doesnt have control over all of the system. my mbps fan is only on when i play graphic intensive games

i think i might have a similar problem with my desktop, os x starts fine, then after around 30 mins, the fan stops (or at least that's what it sounds like, the sound is like when the system shuts down) and doesnt start up again

• 2 weeks later...

Updates

Not much free time lately :angry: . Tried reinstalling OS X 10.4.7 JaS, only installed RTL 839 driver for network, system is CLEAN! Problem persisting; Removed ACPIThermal; no effect.

To work I need to do the following work:

Start-up system, cpu temp raises to 75 °C (fan almost stopped ad the PC is cold when booted), I reboot, the fan when resetted runs like crazy, then reboot OS X, the fan was running fast and keeps running fast even when OS X is started, so CPU drops to 50-55 °C.

It seems like when OS X starts the hardware cpu fan monitoring stops working.

That's it with Toshiba A110-180, anyone has any advice?

Thank you 4 your work PPL!

Seems like someone else "Install Fried my computer! (brand new computer)"

look at this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=46251

and watch out!

Dear Site Admins, you're doing such a good work here that I shouldn't tell any suggestion to you, but I would make this topic Sticky, I wouldn't like to see someone else kill their systems. :angry:

Finally I got it! After removing the AcpiThermal I also removed AppleThermal from the extensions, and AppleFan (I think this second is unuseful because it should be PPC) and rebuilt the kextcache... Now finally the fan speed changes accordly to cpu heat! :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Update

So, checked everything better. After setting correctly the permissions the fan started responding. Anyway one time out of three, the fan speed still hangs, and cpu temp raises over 75...

Well, If you are using a laptop, try a temp. monitor, and check if this happens to you too... I really don't know how to solve this :hysterical:

Thank you

So, one week passed and I couldn't solve the problem. I discovered that my A110-180 temp sensor's don't work with standard temp applications in Windows, so I guess that's the reason that creates problems to OS X.

Anyway I would suggest everyone to keep a look to the CPU temperature when they first install OSX (both during installation, and after reboot), because the time I discovered that the CPU was hot it was 98°C...............................!!!!

My fan keeps working correctly 2 times out of 3... The other times my PC could get fried! :thumbsup_anim:

You're CPU won't get fried...you're BIOS/CPU has a cutoff number where, if you're CPU reaches this temp, it will undergo an emergency shutdown.

As Kiko stated before, this problem can pretty much be fixed by removing the AppleThermal and APCI kexts from /System/Library/Extensions, along with adding in Paulicat's SMBIOS.kext. All this info can readily be found in the Genious Bar/Wiki! You're particularly case seems to confuze me MaurizioP.

http://paulicat.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...-under-osx.html

So, this is what I did:

- installed JaS 10.4.7

- updated to JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 (but the problem is still the same, so I think it's version independent)

- removed ACPIThermal.kext in the AppleACPIPlatform kext

- installed pauliecat SMBIOS

- rebuilt kext caches

is there anything else I shoud do?

now: sometimes the fan just works

some other times it gets stuck at a certain speed just from when OS X is booting.

It just seems like some driver hangs the mainboard bios fan control, so if it hangs when fan is spinning fast CPU temp goes down (like 45°), if it hangs in other condition, the CPU is barely cooled down (and runs up to 90°C). In this condition I highly doubt the hardware will detect a thermal failure causing emergency shutdown.

Have same problem, thre is definateley something worg with fan updating. I startup the PC on Cold and did not touch it for 15 mn. Result: the PC super silent. After that runned Xbench, the fan started speeding as temp increased, when the test finished: the fan stayed at the same speed and will stay the same whether i use the pc or not.... :wacko: I definettly need to find a compatible CPU temp monitor to check to get some real numbers...

Specs: XPS M170, Geforce 7800GTX, 2G ram 533, Centrino single @ 2.13Ghz

Well if your on a laptop then i suggest getting this thing that you set your laptop on that has 2 extra fans that blow on the bottom, when i was in windows it made it a lot cooler. If your on a desktop and you have the money then i suggest you get liquid cooling. This should keep your computer more cool.

Have same problem, thre is definateley something worg with fan updating. I startup the PC on Cold and did not touch it for 15 mn. Result: the PC super silent. After that runned Xbench, the fan started speeding as temp increased, when the test finished: the fan stayed at the same speed and will stay the same whether i use the pc or not.... :) I definettly need to find a compatible CPU temp monitor to check to get some real numbers...

Specs: XPS M170, Geforce 7800GTX, 2G ram 533, Centrino single @ 2.13Ghz

Well, I have the same problem on my desktop Dell 8300, 3.0 Northwood SSE2 running 10.4.9. The fans start normaly and increase every few minutes until they run at full speed. I'm quite sure that the problem occures due to the missing appleintelCPUpowermanagement.kext (according to the installation manuals, it must be removed with SSE2).

Is there any way to use the old kext from 10.4.8 without getting kernel trap errors?

My Inspiron 9300 runs about 10ºc hotter in OSX then in Windows. The fans seem to work fine but as we all know on a CPU heat is not your friend. I can't justify shortening the life of my laptop to run OSX that really has no advantage over XP for me.

Sorted! the solution lies in "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext". After installing 10.4.9 (Netkas guide: http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/archive/20...ate-guide.html), Ihad the fan problem that i described berfore, then i folowed Paulicat guide (http://paulicat.freeflux.net/blog/) but with no succes still had the problem with fan and hot cpu. Anyway, when i read OSX86Geek, i thought lets put back "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" which i removed when following Netkas guide ( although i was sure that will result kernel panic). Results: Os booting normally!!! the fan is quite and adjusting with CPU work....wahooo :(

Give it a go it my work on u system.

Specs:

Specs: XPS M170, Geforce 7800GTX, 2G ram 533, Centrino single @ 2.13Ghz, OSX86 10.4.9

Sorted! the solution lies in "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext". After installing 10.4.9 (Netkas guide: http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/archive/20...ate-guide.html), Ihad the fan problem that i described berfore, then i folowed Paulicat guide (http://paulicat.freeflux.net/blog/) but with no succes still had the problem with fan and hot cpu. Anyway, when i read OSX86Geek, i thought lets put back "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" which i removed when following Netkas guide ( although i was sure that will result kernel panic). Results: Os booting normally!!! the fan is quite and adjusting with CPU work....wahooo :)

Give it a go it my work on u system.

Specs:

Specs: XPS M170, Geforce 7800GTX, 2G ram 533, Centrino single @ 2.13Ghz, OSX86 10.4.9

Lucky boy! As you seem to have an SSE3 rig you can use the kext to solve the problem. On SSE2 the kext raises a kernel trap during startup.

My questions now are:

1. Is there any known way to use the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" on SSE2?

2. Is a patched kext for SSE2 available?

Can one of the devs please give some feedback. Thanks!

I just removed ACPIThermal.kext and the AppleACPIPlatform.kext, restarted, got a kernel panic. When I removed them I made a copy on my desktop. Is there any way to replace them?

I am new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

edit: I got back into my mac os by using macdrive 7 to put those extensions back.