[How-To] Get Broadcom Wireless and Do the Switch Trick on 10.4.8

FreakyMac

114 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tutorial!!

I do have a problem after this though. I am using the Dell 1350 and did all of the steps in the tutorial. I can see my router WiFi connection and am able to connect to it, but it does not obtain an automatic IP address. I tried a manual address suchas (192.168.1.110), but it still does not connect to the internet. I am able to log-in to the router at 192.168.1.1, but no internet at the same time. The same is for the wired Broadcom ethernet connection. I have DHCP turned on in the router settings and works perfectly in windows.

I am running a clean, non-upgraded install of 10.4.9

Any suggestions?

Our wireless cards basically have the same chipset, but I haven't seen any talk about using it with 10.4.9. I have seen many people say it works with 10.4.8 and will be trying it out tomorrow. I'll follow up with my findings.

Hi, I've recently installed 10.4.8 on a Sony Vaio after upgrading the internal mini-pci card to the Dell/Broadcom 1450 (dev id: 4324) and I'm experiencing the same connectivity issues that Riws describes in his/her post above:

10.4.4 - does not load

10.4.5 - loads, but signal strenght bug

10.4.6 - best kext, no bugs or other problems

10.4.7 - sometimes the wifi signal gets weak

10.4.8 - bug, connection lost/freezes with 11g-54mb speed, works with 11b speed

10.4.9 - needs IO80211Family.kext too, but the same connection lost/freezing problem

Would anyone know how I can correct this connectivity issue?

Thanks,

k

Hi, I've recently installed 10.4.8 on a Sony Vaio after upgrading the internal mini-pci card to the Dell/Broadcom 1450 (dev id: 4324) and I'm experiencing the same connectivity issues that Riws describes in his/her post above

Thanks,

k

My hint helped you?

Hi, I've recently installed 10.4.8 on a Sony Vaio after upgrading the internal mini-pci card to the Dell/Broadcom 1450 (dev id: 4324) and I'm experiencing the same connectivity issues that Riws describes in his/her post above:

10.4.4 - does not load

10.4.5 - loads, but signal strenght bug

10.4.6 - best kext, no bugs or other problems

10.4.7 - sometimes the wifi signal gets weak

10.4.8 - bug, connection lost/freezes with 11g-54mb speed, works with 11b speed

10.4.9 - needs IO80211Family.kext too, but the same connection lost/freezing problem

Thanks,

k

I'll add that my Vaio (PCG-V505BCP) also has XP installed on another partition. After installing what I believe to be the most up-to-date drivers for the 1450 card (from Dell) and adjusting the power conservation settings within the Network Config preferences, this card now works fine while in XP. I was initially encountering similar issues with the connection dropping just like I see in OS X with the card, but read that the XP connectivity issues were related to the power conservation settings for the card while trying to connect to encrypted networks... Without encryption, the card would connect to the networks without any problems. Now that I've changed the power settings in XP, I can connect to 802.11g networks with WEP-128bit HEX without any problems.

But I'm still encountering the connectivity issues w/in OS X 10.4.8 JaS... I thought I loaded the 10.4.6 kext files, but maybe I didn't?!?

Can anyone point me to the 10.4.6 kext files that I'd need for the Broadcom 1450 card?

Thanks again,

k

I'll add that my Vaio (PCG-V505BCP) also has XP installed on another partition. After installing what I believe to be the most up-to-date drivers for the 1450 card (from Dell) and adjusting the power conservation settings within the Network Config preferences, this card now works fine while in XP. I was initially encountering similar issues with the connection dropping just like I see in OS X with the card, but read that the XP connectivity issues were related to the power conservation settings for the card while trying to connect to encrypted networks... Without encryption, the card would connect to the networks without any problems. Now that I've changed the power settings in XP, I can connect to 802.11g networks with WEP-128bit HEX without any problems.

But I'm still encountering the connectivity issues w/in OS X 10.4.8 JaS... I thought I loaded the 10.4.6 kext files, but maybe I didn't?!?

Can anyone point me to the 10.4.6 kext files that I'd need for the Broadcom 1450 card?

Thanks again,

k

How is it with WPA encryption network?

Hi everyone and special thanks to Riws!

I feel confident that the connection issues I'm having are hardware related... I've extracted the 10.4.6 IO80211Family.kext file from the update on apple and I believe that *may* have helped, my Broadcom 1450 card is still randomly picking up available networks and then losing them... Including my network which I've tried connecting to w/o encryption, WEP 128-hex and WPA... No difference with any of them.

I have a feeling it could be related to incompatibilities with my Vaio and the Dell mini pci card I installed, although I believe I've installed the most up-to-date driver. I've also found this, and this seems to have fixed any connection issues that I was experiencing while booted in XP:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Any other ideas? I'm all ears, but feeling like this could be a lost cause. I'm also considering picking up an Atheros card on eBay to replace the Broadcom card.

Thanks!

-k

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please point myself and a few others in this thread to something that tells us how to determine the device ID in Mac for the wireless cards (or for any cards for that matter)? It would be greatly appreciated.

I have a clean install on a Dell d600, no dual boot. It's a Dell/Broadcom 1300.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! :( !! I just finished installing Uphuck 10.4.9 on my Dell E520. I had a spare WLI2-PCI-G54S card and your help put me online.

Ok Heres the deal, people with Broadcom Wireless (aka Dell Wireless) have been having trouble with getting it to work , or getting it recognize on 10.4.8 and people have been going to thread-to-thread just to find a solution so i decided to make this SIMPLE little tutorial to help all you Broadcom People, Ok lets begin :D

1: Open Terminal (Hard Drive icon -> Applications -> Utilities)

2: type this ->

sudo su

3: then this ->

cd /System/Library/Extensions

4: then ->

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/

5: then

nano -w Info.plist

6: Ok then scroll down until you see:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4328</string>

<string>pci14e4,4329</string>

<string>pci14e4,432a</string>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4313</string>

<string>pci14e4,4319</string>

<string>pci14e4,431a</string>

7: before <string>pci14e4,4319</string> add this: <string>pci14e4,4318</string> (change the 4318 to your ID, Mines is 4318 because i have Dell Wireless 1370)

8: then Control X, then Y then hit Enter

9: then Do:

sudo reboot

10: then you should see a Blank Baseball Feild Icon (airport icon) on the finder bar

11: Open up Terminal then type ->

sudo su

12: Then ->

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

13: Then ->

nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist 

14: You should See this

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

15: change that to this:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

16: then Ctrl-X -> Y -> Enter

17: Then

sudo reboot

18: After Reboot, Click the Airport Icon on the finder bar and click 'Network Preferences' It'll Say

Has Found the following Port

'Airport'

19: Click Ok then click the drop down box that has Show: next to it then click 'Airport' then click Apply Now and then, Click the Airport icon then select your Network and then Your Done

Congrats, You have Wireless in 10.4.8 :lol:

Smylee,

Take a look at this thread. A lot of people with Dell/Compaq/Acer Broadcom 4311 cards are currently unable to get them to work. The cause is most likely due to OS X not properly recognizing the mini-PCI Express bus.

Other threads of interest:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...364&hl=4311

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...056&hl=4311

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...547&hl=4311

• 3 weeks later...