GMA950 and 8800 via KVM: Thoughts?

2 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a list of hardware for my next machine. I'll be using Windows most of the time for video editing, photo editing, and gaming; but I still want to dual-boot OSx86 with relative ease for web surfing and messing around in general.

To fit this task, I've opted for the Asus P5LD2-VM with a C2D and an 8800 GTS video card. I know this card is nowhere near compatible with OSx86, but I also know that the GMA950 soldered onto that board is a perfect fit. To power the 8800, I was going to buy a small Thermaltake 5.25" PSU that's made especially for graphics cards.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the 8800 for Windows and the 950 for OSX. If possible, I might also like to use the 950 for Windows to save power when I'm not gaming. When I wanted to use the 950, I'd like to be able to just turn off the PSU powering the 8800 and flip a KVM switch to use the 950 D-sub output.

Am I crazy or can this be done?

Well You are going to run into several issues. 1st when you switch between the OS's you are going to have to be sure to set the 950 or the 8800 to be the primary graphics card in the BIOS. Normally this is in the on-board options to either enable or disable the onboard video or some thing like PCIE to be the primary card. You'll have to look. 2nd When you switch off the Thermal take PSU for the graphics it will probably cause the system unstibility because the card is still connect to the PCI-e bus it will still try to draw power.

As far as the video cables, if you get an LCD with D-sub and DVI it may just have a button on the front to switch between the two.