The Apple iPod: More efficient with Mac or Windows???

Urbz

22 posts in this topic

Alright, i'm gonna pick up the new 30gb iPod, but i have 2 dilemmas:

1- Black or White? I'm familiar with the whole "black gets dirty" thing, but i really need to make a decision...

2- Mac or PC? Now that I have both, which should i format it as? For things like calendar and notes and contacts, wouldn't mac just be better? I have transmac 6 for windows, so i would be able to access the iPod from windows as well... Which is the better filesystem, all-in-all?

Thanx,

Urby3

1) Black is cool, but because the new iPod is easily scratchable, i'll go for the White.

2) I would say "fat32" (Windows) for the compatibility. All the Operating systems today are able to read "fat32" volumes or storage devices.

Even if it's slower than HFS+.

really? Fat32 is slower than HFS+?

A few questions:

If i do format it for mac, could i more easily synch stickies and other stuff?

Also, there's a lot of freeware and other ipod stuff for mac os x. Do they work with windows formatted ipods too, or just mac ones?

Currently, I think im leaning twoards the HFS+ filesystem.

Oh, and the black VS white thing... man i still dont know... can i get other opinions?

Great, thanks everyone.

I kept the ipod as it came: a FAT32 partition.

I also got the white...man i just couldn't say no to apple's signature!!!

And finally, i love my new ipod. It's rly great.

So thanks again to all who posted,

and to Apple...Cuz i luv them THIIIIIIS MUUUUUCHH!!! ;) (well more but i mean i cant sit here all day...)

• 2 weeks later...

I bet FAT32 is faster, it has a lot less filesystem overhead and no journaling options or anything fancy, really. I just keep my iPods as FAT32 though, so its easy to mount them as a hard drive on a windows machine if I need to, w/out needing MacDrive or somthing.

Edited by cyrana

When I connected my first and only iPod, it was on my PC, I did not know at the time it formats like a storage device, so it was formatted as FAT32 without any ask, then I connected to my PowerBook and worked fine.

If I connected to my PowerBook first did it be formatted as HFS or I could choose the filesystem?

If I connected to my PowerBook first did it be formatted as HFS or I could choose the filesystem?

I think, if you use a Mac first, it formats it with HFS.

I bet FAT32 is faster, it has a lot less filesystem overhead and no journaling options or anything fancy, really. I just keep my iPods as FAT32 though, so its easy to mount them as a hard drive on a windows machine if I need to, w/out needing MacDrive or somthing.

But would it make the iPod overall faster since HFS takes care of defrags, etc? FAT32 isn't that great of a filesystem from what I've heard.

EDIT: Although the guy who started this thread comes across as a little inept, this thread at iLounge has some good info.

Edited by Mashugly

I have to have mine FAT32 to move stuff to {censored} school computers, I originally had it HFS and it is now significantly slower. I notice it scrubbing through pictures and especially when transferring large files onto it to move.

As soon as I can I'm going back to HFS, big speed gain.

An iPod with FAT32 makes a lot of noise when try to access to data. A friend of mine even sent it back to Apple because he thought it was broken!

If you want use it mainly like portable HD, format it with FAT32. You can work with it seamless in Windoce , Mac and Linux.

But if you want to use all the founcionalities, the iPod is better integrated with Mac, so format it like HFS+, and use it with your Mac. Just download Pod2Go, and you'll see what I'm trying to say... you could not live without it!

1) Black is cool, but because the new iPod is easily scratchable, i'll go for the White.

2) I would say "fat32" (Windows) for the compatibility. All the Operating systems today are able to read "fat32" volumes or storage devices.

Even if it's slower than HFS+.

Nope !

Because FAT is old and non securized, there is no oveload and it goes faster ;>))