Mac OS X 10.5 - 9a377a Client & Server Released on ADC

Adrian Fogge

208 posts in this topic

Adrian/Soup can you take a screen capture of the Finder, does it look any different? Hearing that Apple Remote Desktop is built in or whatever has me curious...

I may not be reading it right but it seems like you can start screen sharing through the Finder sidebar now? You no longer need iChat?

Nono, i mean Folders containing Smart Folders in the sidebar of the Spotlight application. In iTunes you can create folders that contain Smart Playlists, in order to group them, or if you have a lot of them. I'm asking if this new Spotlight application also allows you to create groups of smart folders just like you can in iTunes.

You can do this today... Make a smart folder that searches for the extension ".savedSearch" (or whatever smart folders are saved as, I forget). Then just drag that one smart file into the Finder sidebar for easy access to all of your smart folders.

I do not have this build yet, but it seems like the same thing will be possible in the spotlight application, since there is a spot for "Saved" searches.

Edited by SeanM

Finder ARD Screenshot Attached.

Thanks for the screen though I'm still confused on how this works.

1) Does this mean people will no longer have to buy Apple Remote Desktop? Or is this just a shortcut to ARD if it's already installed?

2) Will this be a feature to look forward to in the actual regular OS or is this a developer specific thing

3) Is this part of the Network option in the Finders sidebar or is it something new?

4) Is it just screen sharing, or could you actually control the other Mac?

Edited by SeanM

You have always been able to do that.. just drag the application up there. It's great for certain applications like appzapper or mplayer. you can just drag and drop. very handy.

is that a leopard only feature?

is that a leopard only feature?

It's not a leopard only feature. Just drag something to the Finder toolbar and wait about two seconds. You should see a green plus button letting you know that it'll add a shortcut there. Then just let go of your mouse, done.

You can put files, folders, or applications up there pretty much everything.

Edited by SeanM

Or maybe it is a preception thing.

Oh, but so far, I am thrilled with this build and given what I have seen so far, I will be using this as my main OS for my personal-use laptop.

All my work stuff will remain dual-boots between 9A377a and 10.4.8 though, just because it is a smart idea.

My initial tests show ZFS as not working...

I will keep at it, but I need to actually get some sleep before I can do some real digging.

Came off an on-call 16 hour shift yesterday, followed by a little "partying" with a "friend", and then have been at this since 1:00 AM PST.

I think I will be a little more resourceful when I am actually getting paid for it.

If there is some greatness to be had, it will be made available by tomorrow evening.

Guest bikedude880

Well, BootCamp is now available on the DVD as an installable package. 1GB of language files. 1.5GB of printer drivers. 1 very unhappy dev :)

Connecting to AFP to Tiger systems works just fine.

BootCamp has been in Leopard builds for quite some time.

It is stored on the DVD in /System/Installation/Packages/BootCamp.pkg

You can also use Quicklook to Fullscreen videos from Quicktime without needing Quicktime Pro.

Beware, un-fullscreening them causes the frame to go blank (not just videos, pictures too).

Spotlight and PhotoBooth seems to be conceptual ...

They seems to be the begin of a new UI and new features, but they just don't work like they'll work on final builds

Are they working well ? I mean, didn't Apple put a lot of ideas in Spotlight but didn't organized them in the interface ?

See you :)

First Post :hysterical: