Mac OS X 10.5 - 9a377a Client & Server Released on ADC

Adrian Fogge

208 posts in this topic

Mac OS X Leopard Client build 9A377a Seed Note

Known Issues:

Setup Assistant

- Upgrades from previously Leopard releases are broken in this seed. Please migrate your user or do a clean install

- Setup Assistant sometimes says "No versions of Mac OS X were found" if you try to migrate your user from another volume. A Restart will resolve this issue

- Some users may not be able to backup their system during installation

- Migration installs aren't transferring data from iCal

- Users are sometimes unable to migrate their user from previous installs

- Taking pictures during Setup Assistant may not work correctly

Time Machine

- User may not be able to enable Time Machine using the dialog that appears when connecting a drive

- Snapshot browser may show graphics corruption for some users

Safari

- Loading a webpage sometimes hangs Safari. Delete "~/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari/__CFURLCacheDefault.db" will resolve this issue

- Frequent crashes when playing QuickTime movies

iChat

- Audio / Video chats will not work with machines running previous Leopard seeds. A/V Chats with Tiger are OK.

Spotlight

- Changes made to files after the initial Spotlight index will not be reindexed

- Privacy option in the Spotlight Preference Pane currently does not work

Finder

- Dragging files from network volumes and disk images to their local machine may fail under certain situations

- Screen Sharing currently can't be initiated from the Shared browser in the Finder Sidebar

- Volumes may not show up in the Finder Sidebar in certain situations

Sharing Preference Pane

- When adding a Shared Folder, a Shared Folder may not be created. Restarting will resolve this

- Can't disable Bluetooth Sharing

QuickTime

- Graphics corruption in the 'Export' window

- HD movie trailers may not play audio in certain situations

Input Methods

- When selecting a new Input Method in the International Preference Pane, system may hang for several seconds and the IM menu may not appear until after restarting.

- Candidate window does not appear with the Japanese Input Method

Miscellaneous

- Software update preferences automatically reset resulting in extra update notifications

- When adding a printer you may need to select 'Add Printer' twice before the printer window appears

- Applications running under Rosetta may not launch on restored Leopard systems (using ASR and TimeMachine, for example). Opening Terminal and running 'sudo update_dyld_shared_cache' will fix this issue

- Some PowerBook G4's may panic when in Sleep mode or when waking from Sleep

- User may be unable to write to a USB drive connected via Airport Extreme. Workaround is to click the 'Remember password in my keychain' option when connecting to the drive.

- Videos purchased through the iTunes Store do not play in iTunes

- Photobooth's window is empty when launched

- Preview shows graphics corruption when displaying certain PDFs

- Users may not be able enable FileVault in certain situations

Changes in Leopard Since 9A343

Spotlight

- Performance optimizations

- More powerful search queries

iSync Plug-in Maker

- Fixed Package format : Installer packages created with a prior version must be regenerated with this new version of iSync Plug-in Maker.

- Added support for Modem Script bundles : A new pane has been added to edit the Modem Script settings of a phone. The export options now allow to export a Modem Script bundle along with an iSync Phone Plugin. (Limitation: exported Modem Script bundles are not yet supported by Leopard)

Miscellaneous

- Address Book enhancements for taking pictures

- Safari compatibility for rich text editing

- Updated Sharing Preference Pane with additional options for sharepoints and access controls. Shares are acessible through the Shared icon in the Finder Sidebar

Mac OS X Leopard Server build 9A377a Seed Note

Tiered Administration

Tiered administration allows a directory administrator to assign limited administrative privileges to other directory accounts. Privileges may be limited by a set of tasks defined in Workgroup Manager, as well as by group. To access Tiered Admin in Workgroup Manager, select a user in the Users panel and go to the Privileges tab . From the Administration Capabilities popup menu, choose Limited, and the Tiered Admin administrative controls will appear.

Group Web Services Administration

The Web Service in Server Admin now has the ability to administer the new wiki and blog features. In the Web Service's Settings panel, there is a new tab called Web Services. This tab controls settings across all wiki-enabled sites. There is also a Web Services tab in the Sites panel. This tab controls settings for individual wiki-enabled sites.

The Web preference pane in Server Preferences has been enhanced to include a home page setting for the default server URL (http://server.example), as well as enabling and disabling user and group web services.

Wiki Services

Wiki Services has an overall new look and feel, in addition to the Table Editor and Web Mailing List Archive new functionality.

Expanded functionality in Directory.app

The Directory.app provides improved usability throughout the application.

Managed Systems

Workgroup Manager now provides support for managing Dashboard widgets on client systems. In addition, your feedback is appreciated on Hierarchical Group management functionality in Workgroup Manager, as well as using the dscl utility with managed client extensions and Managed Preferences reporting in System Profiler.

Leopard Screen Sharing and Apple Remote Desktop

Leopard Screen Sharing

1. Turn on Screen Sharing on the client in the Sharing Preferences pane of the System Prefs. All users are enabled automatically.

2. Browse for that machine from the Admin machine in the Finder. There will be a Shared item in the left pane of the Finder windows.

3. Initiate a Screen Sharing session to the client. 

Options to be tested (available from the Menus or from the App's preferences)

a) Default and Full Quality settings

:D Scaled and Windowed Modes

c) Default and Full Encryption settings

d) Network Clipboard (Send & Receive)

Apple Remote Desktop

Apple Remote Desktop Admin 3.1 running on Mac OS X Tiger will work with Leopard client systems. Areas for seed testing and feedback include:

1. Screen Sharing features such as Control, Observe, Multiobserve, and Share Screen

2. Reporting including Hardware, Software, User Accounting Reports

3. Other functions such as Spotlight search, Sleep/Wake, Restart/Shutdown, Logout, and Send Unix

4. Setting privileges for users in the Remote Management preferences

Known Limitations and Workarounds in Server

• Remote installs are not functional in this seed release.

• There may be a delay before the first screen of the Install process.

• To install server, boot into a non-Leopard partition or boot from the DVD directly by holding the C key during restart.

• Use Server Preferences to set web services host rather than Workgroup Manager Advanced settings.

• When using calendaring services, create users in Server Preferences rather than Server Assistant. For users created in Server Assistant, before using the calendar server, uncheck and then recheck the iCal checkbox in the service pane.

• If Kerberos authentication fails for iChat clients, remove the managed iChat client setting which is forcing Kerberos authentication.

• If you plan to use Wiki Services, restart the server after Server Assistant is complete, before using Wiki Services.

• Sometimes, when autoconfiguring a client binding to a standard configuration server, an error of type 10 may be encountered. If this persists, disable the backup service for the client.

• To enable Wiki or Weblog for the default site, either bind to or create an Open Directory master.

• If in Server Assistant there are no network panes and the Primary DNS Name and Computer Name fields are blank in Network Names pane, restart the system before setting up.

• To recover from Directory Service database index corruption, delete /var/db/dslocal/indices/index and restart the system (or just DirectoryService).

• Tomcat is not available in this seed release.

• In some cases, Directory Utility may exit on launch. Use the Relaunch button on the alert dialog to restart it.

• In Server Admin, AFP service, select Standard Authentication for clients connecting to a Standard Server AFP setup.

• Copying items to Leopard client systems from Apple Remote Desktop 3.1 on Tiger is not functional in this seed. This includes installing packages, upgrading client software, and changing client settings.

• When starting or stopping AFP from Server Admin, the Server Admin application can crash. Just relaunch the app.

• Incremental backups to disk images over Airport are not functional in this seed release.

• In order to use the new Server Admin DNS plugin you must first:

1. Launch Terminal

2. Type:  sudo mv /etc/named.conf /etc/named.conf.old  and press the return key.

• After setting limited privileges for a user in Workgroup Manager, sometimes LDAP becomes nonresponsive. If this happens, search for '1.1.36' in the file, /private/etc/openldap/schema/apple.schema. Then add the following lines on the next blank line in the file (you need to sudo or be root to do this)

attributetype (

NAME ( 'apple-calendarprincipaluri' )

DESC 'Calendar Principal URI old'

EQUALITY caseExactIA5Match

SUBSTR caseExactIA5SubstringsMatch

SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26 )

Then save the file and type:

killall slapd

Mac OS X Leopard build 9A377a Generic Information

What We Know...

- Quicklook has been updated to work EVERYWHERE, including opening Apps.

- Apple Remote Desktop is integrated into the Finder.

- Quicktime can view Full Screen without needing Quicktime Pro.

- Safari's WebClip autosenses tables and frames and updates sizes in the Dashboard when they change on the site.

- Automator now has a "Watch Me Do" option, allowing for complete control over Apps that are not designed to work with Automator currently under Tiger. It includes full mouse and keyboard support based on locations inside of the Application Windows, allowing the window to be moved, minimized or even unfocused while the Automator Script is running still allowing full control over your computer in the mean time.

- .Mac has been updated to sync Automator Scripts.

- There is now a Media option inside Finder, similar to the one currently present in the iLife Apps.

- Activity Monitor now has the option to "Sample Processes", capturing every function call made by an App.

- Spotlight has an all-new UI... Again.

- The Developer Tools now contain an iSync Plugin Maker, allowing easy creation of Sync Profiles for non-supported phones.

- iSync may be renamed to ZenSync based on updated icons and resources buried inside of the App.

Deal Breakers

- iTunes (7.0.2 & 7.1) and Quicktime (7.2) crash when trying to play back a purchased video file, loosing the Authorization in the process.

- ZFS is "bootable" on PPC Only at this time, but results in a Kernel Panic. (Not Usable)

- World of Warcraft is having graphical glitches due to redesigns to the OpenGL Framework under OS X breaking compatability with Fading Textures.

- Software Update now requires that all Applications be quit before installing updates, logging you out in the process.

- PhotoBooth is completely Non-Working.

- Hypervisor Support is currently broken, slowing performance of Virtual Machines.

- 802.11n currently does not work.

- Xcode is having "issues" preventing it's use. (Crashing on "deleting a new-line character")

Screenshots

post-50411-1172867324_thumb.jpg

post-50411-1172867330_thumb.jpg

post-50411-1172867336_thumb.jpg

post-50411-1172867342_thumb.jpg

post-50411-1172867349_thumb.jpg

post-50411-1172867355_thumb.jpg

post-50411-1172869351_thumb.jpg

post-50411-1172886466_thumb.jpg

Still waiting on a download myself. Will have it downloaded in about 30 more minutes. Then I will finally get to start playing around.

When I have it, it will be loaded onto my MBP and PB for the first round of tests.

Personally, I am pretty interested in the iSync Plugin Maker. Maybe I can finally get my KG800 to sync properly with it!

But that pales in comparison to my excitement to the "more powerful search queries" or that users are currently unable to enable FileVault under "certain situations".

Given that the last build did not really have ZFS in it, this one could have 2 months of further development compared to the last real peek we have seen.

That has me excited.

As soon as I know something, you will know something.

Yea, in the end there sure are a few significant changes present...

Too bad that we still do not have working videos from the iTunes Music Store.

Since they specifically call out that they do not play in iTunes, I wonder if they will now play in Quicktime if you open each independantly. (Unlikely given that iTunes uses Quicktime to play back)

With my 878 GB of TV Shows and Movies purchased from iTunes, it is the one bug that really bugs me.

Oh, by the way Kiko, DMGs are already compressed, so zipping will really only get you maybe 50MB shaved off of the image size.

Wow ! I Thank you both for your informations.

I am reload feverly my this page with the hope of a new post from soup4you2 or Adrian with informations regarding this new seed !

Is it possible to have screencapture :whistle:

Having a problem with the installation on the Powerbook G4 17" Final Generation.

It keeps freezing after installing DeTier.pkg (Three Attempts)

No idea what that package is for, although it is going in with the Base Installation.

As there is no longer a PPC Essencials.pkg, I am assuming that it is that package simply renamed, however I will not know for sure until I rip it apart.

Trying on the Macbook Pro right now.

Ok, problem solved over here.

As it turns out, it was simply a bad recording and Disk Utility did not catch it.

After I had the same issue on my Macbook Pro 17" C2D, I re-recorded the disc from my iMac 24" and problem solved.

It is now installed on the Macbook Pro, with the install running on the Powerbook.

Right off the bat, while ZFS is back (Yes, really back this time, not just UDF as it was linked in 343), it is not bootable out of the box.

Disk Utility was able to format the discs without issue, and was even able to mount the partition.

That was the main issue that prevented 321 from being able to run under ZFS after a reboot. Upon shutdown, the file system became corrupted.

What I am doing now is copying the complete OS Image from my Macbook Pro over to the Powerbook on the ZFS Partition to see if it can boot.

My testing has not really been very in depth at the moment since I just got the OS installed 10 minutes ago, but you can expect updates.

~Adrian

iTunes forgets it's authorizations constantly.

Quicktime has been updated to 7.2 (again).

You can not add a play a purchased video at all (crashes both iTunes and Quicktime if you try).

You can play non-iTunes Videos no problems.

The Spotlight App has received a significant overhaul, including the ability to connect into Spotlight Indexes on remote computers (Only 10.5 though, but can search 10.4 systems slowly).

Safari's Webclip no has an auto-sensing feature to auto-select regions of the page based on table structure.

Applications no longer have the "new" Resources layout.

PhotoBooth in no way resembles something that works.

Pretty effects on the buttons, but no actual ability to see what is on your iSight or figure out which effects there are. Oh, and no ability to actually take a picture through the app.

AUTOMATOR Just got EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!

For example, Watch Me Do - An automatic Macro Creator that records everything, and stores Mouse Clicks based on positions inside of Apps! So, if the Window does not open where it was last time, it still works.

Applications do not even need to be in focus to run in Automator. You can keep using your mouse and keyboard in other Apps while waiting on Automator to do whatever in the background!

Oh, and ZFS is not bootable in this interation. It looks like this version of Bless does not see ZFS drives. I will be trying to get it to work with the version of Bless from 321.

Screenshots on the way.

Oh, yea...

And Alex works much better in this version!

Add to that, .Mac Sync will sync your Automator Scripts.

Additionally, Safari can now drag tabs between Windows and they will open and close as needed.

I got a ridiculous PM from a user here:

I'll paypal you $10 for the see of 9a377a....I'm a teenager (16) trying to get into developing for Mac OSX.....Have 9a343, would love 9a377

thanks in advance, and for free would be even better

PM's like this are {censored}, don't do this people, you know how ridiculous that is?

This makes me angry that people try this kind of stunt, not to mention if somebody accepted their offer. Ridiculous.

Behavior like that would get a swift kick by the ban-o-matic on others forums I frequent.

[mod note: edited for clarity]

More importantly, I'm VERY glad that UNO installs on Leopard (or at least has in the past, I have not yet tested, and probably will just skip this build); because the wavey-ness of windows is so ugly.... I do not like the look of OS X without UNO installed...

you can detach tabs into windows now pretty useful. in both safari and the terminal.

Printing to PDF has some new toys, such as applying quartz stuff and the option to encrypt PDF's. and yet the new automater looks badass.. havent had a chance to play with it too much yet.

.mac syncing now includes:

-Dashboard widgets

-Dock items

-Notes

-Preferences

Big overhaul in the networking preferences. with the option to configure VLAN's now. and lots more. Seems they are starting to give each one significant changes.. cant wait to see what they do to Appearance.

I got a chance to test out the Shared area in finder and it's awsome..

Also inside the ACL's for a file or folder there is a option to publish[ip]

Now that sounds exciting; detaching tabs into windows, and synching across all those new things, and recorded Macro's with automator, I am so giddy with excitedment for Leopard to arrive in it's final form, but with these very buggy and very work-in-progress builds, I know that cannot be anytime soon. I expect it to be around for WWDC though, or maybe slightly before.

Did anyone check the version of iTunes included in 9A377a? Is it 7.1? When you get your Apple TV Adrian you should test it out with this build, see if there is anything hidden in there.

Edited by Hagar

OH MY GOD!!!

I just found the coolest thing EVER!!!

Activity Monitor - Sample Process

It goes in and watches EVERY single call that is made by an App, as well as telling where it's resources are going!

Really only excites Developers, but wow. Normally I need to run an App in a Debugger to get this kind of info, and Activity Monitor keeps track of all that stuff for me in the Real World.

I can see this making my life better!

Oh, iTunes is still 7.0.2

Ok....thank you everyone for the awesome feedabck. I am a little dissapointed that it seems we have a bit of a way to go before Apple will be in a position to add some of the "secret features" although from what I am reading here, things seem to be leading that way.

So what can we put together with the previous info we have, as far as what could be the final outcome for "secret features" in the final release candidate? Anyone have any ideas?

OH MY GOD!!!

I just found the coolest thing EVER!!!

Activity Monitor - Sample Process

It goes in and watches EVERY single call that is made by an App, as well as telling where it's resources are going!

Really only excites Developers, but wow. Normally I need to run an App in a Debugger to get this kind of info, and Activity Monitor keeps track of all that stuff for me in the Real World.

I can see this making my life better!

Oh, iTunes is still 7.0.2

Damn. Oh well, guess that's why the QT/iTunes video's still don't work as per the release notes.

Oh yes, the macosforge also notes that launchd has had some 6 more changesets since the leopard 9A377 trac issue was reported, so they're moving along, and the two most recent changesets are after the release of 9A377a to the ADC.

The viewing of calls per application is very cool; having recently delved into XCode to try and use it to replace my VS2005 environment in Parallels, I'm excited at the development improvments for Leopard. Right now I'm just writing console applications but I hope to get into the UI stuff and the other frameworks soon, and CoreAnimation has me excited too.

Final Release Candidate?

Don't get your hopes up there.

Apple will be testing the "secret features" internally up until the Gold Build (the one where they start mass producing the Packaged Versions, as well as loading up on new computers for sale).

Not really the "best" situation there, but it has served them in the past.

You have always been able to make smart folders. But now yes you get an option under file to create a smart folder. And i just checked out the sample process in activity monitor.. very cool indeed.

Nono, i mean Folders containing Smart Folders in the sidebar of the Spotlight application. In iTunes you can create folders that contain Smart Playlists, in order to group them, or if you have a lot of them. I'm asking if this new Spotlight application also allows you to create groups of smart folders just like you can in iTunes.