[HOWTO] Dell Dimension 9100/5150 or Compatible Series

Prasys

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I have been getting numerous numbers of PMs from the members of Insanely Mac. So I have decided to put up a small guide on how I got my Dell Dimension system to work. So shall we start ?

Processor - Intel ® Pentium ® D 830 3.00GHz

It just works. Works with Two Cores , this goes for both OSX 10.4.4 and OSX 10.4.8. EST works with the right kernel [aka Paulicat's Kernel or with the pre-OSX 10.4.8 Kernels]

Motherboard - Dell Intel 945P Series Motherboard

Well I have heard that Apple used a similar design motherboard in their Core Duo iMacs. This what makes things 'just work' on this computer. SATA , ATA , USB , PCI , PCIe , FireWire will just work out of the box. You dont need to do anything special here. Oh yes , you can boot off directly from the DVD itself or you could do VMWARE installation. Its up to you

Soundcard : Sigmatel STAC 9221 A1[a.k.a CREATIVE SoundBlaster Audigy ADVANCED MB]

Do not panic if the sound card does not work out of the box. You can get it to to work. There are two methods on getting your sound card to work

The First method is for all versions of OSX , thats right. Its for OSX 10.4.4 - OSX 10.4.8 [even with the latest kernels]

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25188

Just replace the AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions , repair permissions and clear kextcache [aka boot with -f] and you will have sound working. Oh there is one drawback though , you would have to connect the green jack in the 'black port' aka for sub-woofer and the output is only stereo

The next method is the 'true' method on getting the sound to work. This requires you to have OSX 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 Kernel [in other words , just get hold of JaS' Latest and Greatest OSX 10.4.8 DVD]

First , download Taruga's AppleHDA Patcher from :-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

Then , download my Sigmatel Codec dump for Dell Dimension 9100/9150/5100/5150 which I have attached here and then patch it and voila you should have sound coming from the right jack. Not only that , you should have Line-In and Mic as well !

Graphics Card : XFX GeForce 7300GT 256MB DDR2

I bought this graphics card to replace my crappy Dell Radeon X300SE . The installation is fairly easy , just select Titan/Nvidia card drivers during installation and you will have it working . If you want Dual-Monitor Support , then you would have to get hold of Natit

If you're using ATI Card , you might notice that QE/CI [Quartz Extreme and Core Image] aka Hardware acceleration works out of the box . In order to get Resolution change , you might need Callisto ! . No , not one of the Galilean moons of Jupiter ! , its a driver.

Network Card : Intel VE 10/100 Network Card

This thing works as well , you can download the patched IONetworking drivers for all versions of OSX from my site

http://www.rakis.net/~prasys/IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

The installation is fairly simple , replace it , fix permissions , clear kextcache and reboot !

Fix Sleep

If you want to 'sleep' your Desktop. You would have to switch S3 Sleep Mode to S1 Sleep Mode , otherwise sleep will not work. [This is only for OSX 10.4.8 users]

There you go , as time goes on . I might add couple of things

Sigmatel.txt

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally did a fresh install of OSX in vmware to patch the sigmatel codec with Taruga's tool and copy the resulting kext files to my native OSX. The trick worked, now the sound card is fully functioning . Still wondering why the tool won't work on my native OSX.

Thanks a lot for the codec file.

Then , download my Sigmatel Codec dump for Dell Dimension 9100/9150/5100/5150 which I have attached here and then patch it and voila you should have sound coming from the right jack. Not only that , you should have Line-In and Mic as well !

Thanks for the good work.

Little question , what I have to do with the Sigmatel.txt file, where to put?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this graphics card to replace my crappy Dell Radeon X300SE . The installation is fairly easy , just select Titan/Nvidia card drivers during installation and you will have it working . If you want Dual-Monitor Support , then you would have to get hold of Natit

If you're using ATI Card , you might notice that QE/CI [Quartz Extreme and Core Image] aka Hardware acceleration works out of the box . In order to get Resolution change , you might need Callisto ! . No , not one of the Galilean moons of Jupiter ! , its a driver.

Hi Prasys,

I maybe a little late but I am just wondering how to fix that Crappy Dell Radeon X300SE? I guess OpenGL is not working as far as I know. Maybe you mentioned here on this but I can't see it pretty well :)

It is for my Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop.

Well if I use the Titan/Nvidia card drivers do you think that I can fix my card? Now I'm on the 1024x768 resolution for the past couple of months. Wish I get a fix for this.

Thanks in advance :D

Please redirect me to the correct link, coz I been search for the driver and everytime I load it, my screen black out after restart, so I have to remove it.

Help will be greatly appreciated :)

Riaz.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have an install of iATKOS 4i (the 10.5.4 one) on my dell dimension 9150,

It all works really good now, except sleep, i know that the guide here only helps people on 10.4.8 to sleep their dell, but i looked on another guide which showed me if i boot a ToH kernel it will sleep

When i boot this kernel all the right things load for it to sleep except when it goes to go out of the boot up screen and into OS X, the screen goes blank, any ideas ?

My graphics card is a NVidia 7300GS

p.s this article fixed my sound, im really greatful, thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you please explain the sound card drivers again? I was able to download the Apple HDA patcher and your sigmatel audio dump... I run the patcher and it tells me to drag the file onto it. I have tried that every way i can think of but nothing happens. Does that method only work in tiger perhaps?

I have a Dimension 5150. I just installed 10.5.5 using iDeneb (version 1.3 i think)....

Luckily, I had just bought a PCI wireless N card a couple weeks ago and it happens to work with the new Ralink drivers that came out in December, so I got my wifi working. (weird thing though--in network prefs it shows up as an ethernet connection?? therefore i cant get the airport icon and stuff in my menu bar---ralink is using its own utility).

I digress....cant get the sound working. Also---was going to try your method here for the 10/100 ethernet card, but your link is broken now.

Also, I have been searching for like 3 hours trying to find a fix for my video card. I have a mobility radeon X300 that came with the dell. I have seen a couple threads saying it can work with some callisto driver, but from what i have read it seems like people can only got that working in tiger, not leopard. I was able to just take this card out of the PCIx slot and use the on board video by the way.

So... pretty good for my first day of hackintoshing i guess! I got the OS working and i got my wifi working....any help any can provide on my sound/ ethernet/ video would be great.

also...i know its kind of a newb question, so bear with me.... can you do software updates on a hackintosh or is it best not to? if so do you do with combo updater thing or do u do with the apple software update? etc...

thanks guys. (need any more info just ask me )

• 3 months later...
Hey guys

I have been getting numerous numbers of PMs from the members of Insanely Mac. So I have decided to put up a small guide on how I got my Dell Dimension system to work. So shall we start ?

Processor - Intel ® Pentium ® D 830 3.00GHz

It just works. Works with Two Cores , this goes for both OSX 10.4.4 and OSX 10.4.8. EST works with the right kernel [aka Paulicat's Kernel or with the pre-OSX 10.4.8 Kernels]

Motherboard - Dell Intel 945P Series Motherboard

Well I have heard that Apple used a similar design motherboard in their Core Duo iMacs. This what makes things 'just work' on this computer. SATA , ATA , USB , PCI , PCIe , FireWire will just work out of the box. You dont need to do anything special here. Oh yes , you can boot off directly from the DVD itself or you could do VMWARE installation. Its up to you

Soundcard : Sigmatel STAC 9221 A1[a.k.a CREATIVE SoundBlaster Audigy ADVANCED MB]

Do not panic if the sound card does not work out of the box. You can get it to to work. There are two methods on getting your sound card to work

The First method is for all versions of OSX , thats right. Its for OSX 10.4.4 - OSX 10.4.8 [even with the latest kernels]

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25188

Just replace the AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions , repair permissions and clear kextcache [aka boot with -f] and you will have sound working. Oh there is one drawback though , you would have to connect the green jack in the 'black port' aka for sub-woofer and the output is only stereo

The next method is the 'true' method on getting the sound to work. This requires you to have OSX 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 Kernel [in other words , just get hold of JaS' Latest and Greatest OSX 10.4.8 DVD]

First , download Taruga's AppleHDA Patcher from :-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

This thing works as well , you can download the patched IONetworking drivers for all versions of OSX from my site

The installation is fairly simple , replace it , fix permissions , clear kextcache and reboot !

Fix Sleep

If you want to 'sleep' your Desktop. You would have to switch S3 Sleep Mode to S1 Sleep Mode , otherwise sleep will not work. [This is only for OSX 10.4.8 users]

I was able to get the sound drivers to work, but I am still unable to get my internal network card to work. Its an integrated card, so I figured that I would work. Any ideas? I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing.

I was able to get the sound drivers to work, but I am still unable to get my internal network card to work. Its an integrated card, so I figured that I would work. Any ideas? I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing.

I was able to get the internal card working under 10.4.x but not 10.5.x. I ended up getting a compatible NIC for a few dollars and I have been using that.

i'll patch the 10.5 series kext and upload it ASAP

You'll have to use -f every-time if you wish to use the network card. Don't ask me why , but if you don't. You'll get an invalid MAC Address. You'll have to force it every time

Thanks so much.

Also, has anyone had a problem with USB ports? When I try and plug in my flashdrive, the mac wont pick it up. However, when I leave the flashdrive plugged in and restart my computer, it picks it up.

Thanks so much.

Also, has anyone had a problem with USB ports? When I try and plug in my flashdrive, the mac wont pick it up. However, when I leave the flashdrive plugged in and restart my computer, it picks it up.

Are you using OSX 10.5.7 by any chance ?

• 8 months later...

This link is broken; is there any chance someone could post a working one?