520 replies to this topic

paringas

paringas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
bubba129,
not sure if you actually tried what i just posted as your post came straight after mine.
but if everything fails, now that you've patched your kext, try the original ...shoggi's driver/daemon (can't remember the thread it's from).

Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead

Scott Lahteine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:OSX, iOS, reprap, science!

Alright well I am sorry to say that I cannot get my finepoint to work. I reinstalled Windows XP got the 7 characters that I needed (FPI2004) entered it into the file, added a tool into startup items and now I see serial 0 in tabletmagic but nothing is found. I just want to say thanks and keep up the good work I will keep my eye on this thread and test new releases.

Hi Bubba,

When you told me that your tablet was a Finepoint I wasn't very optimistic that it would work. But it's still possible to have a look at your tablet's data and see if it makes sense. I've posted TabletMagic 2.0b8rc7, another testing version of the driver. Its only functional change compared to rc6 is that it creates a log file at /Users/Shared/tabletmagic.log.

If you would like to provide some data from your tablet, install this version. After starting the driver play around with the pen, using all the corners of your tablet and pressing lightly and firmly. Kill the daemon using the "Kill Daemon" button in the preference pane's Extras tab. Then send me the log file at support at thinkyhead dot com. I'll have a look at the output and see if I can make any sense of it.

bobo2211

bobo2211

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

bobo2211 and all others who's tablets don't work after fixing the required kext:

1. go to Extras tab and click "kill daemon" there so that the status says "Daemon not running"
2. tick "Don't query" in Extras tab and try starting daemon again.
3. go into Testing tab and see if the numbers are alive as you move your pen around the screen.
4. if they are alive but your mouse pointer isn't matching with the tip of the pen, follow instructions i suggested to bubba129 six posts up.

good luck.

a shame that this forum doesn't like the idea of having the first post always displayed on every page of the thread with all the updated info on links/features/instructions/etc...

it's strange that Khashoggi tablet daemon works but TabletMagic does not
i will try your tip now paringas

my video demo :

paringas

paringas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
bobo,
don't forget to kill shoggi's daemon before you try anything (from app/task manager or whatever other way)

tanata

tanata

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm terribly sorry if this has been discussed in some other post, but I have successfully installed OSX 10.4.8 on to a Motion Computing M1400 and was looking for a way to use the tablet functionality with TabletMagic. I installed the latest version, but the program reads "no tablet detected". Is this something worth pursuing, or is the machine too old to use your interface? Congratulations with the work you've done so far. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
best,

patrick denny

paringas

paringas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
tanata,
come on, man, if you're geeky enough to buy a tablet - you're geeky enough to look through this thread(it's only 3 pages).
read through all my posts(especially the one at the bottom of page 2) and before trying, patch your serial kext.

ps i'd be really pleased if Scott could update the first post of the thread with all the up to date instructions or at least links to the right posts to create a universal point of referral for people starting fresh.

Ferret-Simpson

Ferret-Simpson

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
One other thing. Is it the "touch" Version or the pen Version ?

Tablet Magic is Wacom only as of yet.

tanata

tanata

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
paringas- Thank you for replying- I actually had gone through and followed your instructions to the best of my ability without success. This whole install process has been about repetition, so I'll try it a couple more times and see what I can come up more specifica questions. I haven't found any information about anyone successfully installing OSX on the Motion Computing Tablet and didn't know how far I could take it. I'll write back after some more experimentation. -best

Ferret-Simpson- It's a pen version- Thanks- best

Sam I Am Not

Sam I Am Not

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Writing to report limited success on a Toshiba r20/r25/m7 series Tablet PC.

After hacking the appropriate kext, TabletMagic now detects my tablet. For a while, I was confused: TabletMagic had locked me into 15240x15240 tablet resolution, even though my tablet is 13348x18968. For some reason, there was a setting in the Extras pane that assumed I had that resolution of a tablet. I unchecked the box, and I can now use the full width of my screen. :(

For those of you wondering, there is no pressure sensitivity in Sketchbook Pro; in fact, the cursor doesn't display properly. (It whites over anything it crosses until the screen refreshes. This takes a while, making it nearly impossible to use this app). I couldn't get Flash 2004 to launch, and I don't have my Photoshop disc on me to test with.

Thanks Scott for all your hard work on TM and to Paringas for finding the Serial driver. I'll keep you posted on my findings.
Sam I Am (Not)

Edited by Sam I Am Not, 19 March 2007 - 02:43 AM.

Sam I Am Not

Sam I Am Not

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
The tablet has stopped being detected. I had played with it shortly in Ink and Sketchbook. I'd also tried to launch Flash. When I was testing Ink, the Finder windows started wigging out (I'd try to move them and they would vibrate between the pen and where they were resting). I turned off Ink, and everything seemed fine. Shortly after Flash crashed, TM stopped seeing my tablet. At one point, I had tested the iwi3945 driver, which created a dummy Airport adaptor (although called Ethernet by System Preferences). The Networking pane mentioned that it now saw a Serial port. It kept working after that. I deleted both 3945 and the network Serial port, and it still doesn't see it. serial0 is still a selectable (and selected) option in TM.

I've attached the console log:
Attached File  console.log.2.txt   13.11KB   17 downloads

Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead

Scott Lahteine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

The tablet has stopped being detected. I had played with it shortly in Ink and Sketchbook. I'd also tried to launch Flash. When I was testing Ink, the Finder windows started wigging out (I'd try to move them and they would vibrate between the pen and where they were resting). I turned off Ink, and everything seemed fine. Shortly after Flash crashed, TM stopped seeing my tablet. At one point, I had tested the iwi3945 driver, which created a dummy Airport adaptor (although called Ethernet by System Preferences). The Networking pane mentioned that it now saw a Serial port. It kept working after that. I deleted both 3945 and the network Serial port, and it still doesn't see it. serial0 is still a selectable (and selected) option in TM.

Hi Sam, I've read your post and had a look at your console log. I'm not sure why the tablet stopped being detected. Normally I would suggest rebooting the tablet, but I'm guessing you tried that already.

As for Flash quitting... Flash has a known bug where it will crash if it detects a tablet but doesn't find the Wacom driver. If you install Wacom's official tablet driver it should stop Flash from crashing, even though it doesn't drive your tablet.

Your tablet (on serial0) doesn't seem to be answering the "*" query, and TabletMagic is therefore assuming there's no tablet. You may have to keep the "Don't Query" checkbox turned on if yours is one of those tablets that can't be queried. Try checking that box, killing and restarting the daemon, and see if the tablet starts working. The resolution may still be off kilter. Try entering 13348 and 18968 into the text boxes provided and see if it helps.

I will continue to search for answers on my end as well.

Paringas wishes I could edit the first post of this thread -- and so do I -- but this forum doesn't allow it, so my apologies to those who must read through this whole thread to get to the latest version and instructions.

I'm terribly sorry if this has been discussed in some other post, but I have successfully installed OSX 10.4.8 on to a Motion Computing M1400 and was looking for a way to use the tablet functionality with TabletMagic. I installed the latest version, but the program reads "no tablet detected". Is this something worth pursuing, or is the machine too old to use your interface?

Hi Patrick, I'm not yet familiar enough with your system to give you a definitive answer, but according to various Linux forums you do have a Wacom serial digitizer. I suggest you try everything you can think of, and if your tablet still isn't recognized we can investigate further using a logging version of the driver.

Edited by Scott Lahteine, 19 March 2007 - 04:18 PM.

stevenf

stevenf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to get the digitizer working on my HP TC1100 tablet pc.

I have 10.4.6 installed on it using (I believe) the JaS distribution. (For some reason 10.4.8 JaS just kernel panics while booting, so I went back to 10.4.6.)

The digitizer shows up in ioreg with the ID "WACF005", which I note is pretty similar to the other HP 4xxx-series tablet user who had WACF006.

Unfortunately, even after editing the kext plist as described to use this name instead of the PNP one, deleting the extension caches and rebooting, I still don't get any new serial ports in my /dev directory. And of course, TabletMagic needs a functioning serial port to work.

I'm wondering what I could possibly be overlooking, and if anyone has any ideas I could try.

For those who have it working, what is the /dev device named? Does it show up as /dev/serial? Something else?

Thanks for any advice!

stevenf

stevenf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here's a little more info on my TC1100.

Notice the entry for the digitizer in ioreg -lx:

| +-o DIGI  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy $
	| |   {
	| |	 "_UID" = "1"
	| |	 "name" = <"WACF005">
	| |	 "_STA" = 0xd
	| |	 "compatible" = <"ACPI\WACF004">
	| |   }

And I set up my kext plist like so:

<key>ACPI 16X50 Serial Port</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>com_apple_driver_16X50ACPI</string>
			<key>IOKitDebug</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>IONameMatch</key>
			<string>WACF005</string>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<string>10000</string>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOACPIPlatformDevice</string>
		</dict>

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.*
and restart

But no new entries in /dev after booting.

I'm stumped! Anyone?

stevenf

stevenf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll just continue talking to myself. :D

So, after fiddling with it all last night, still no luck.

What I've noticed is that the Apple16X50ACPI kext doesn't log any messages at all during boot.

On other people's boot logs, I've seen stuff like this:

Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1

But nothing like that during my boot.

I do get this error message:

IOPCI2PCIBridge: bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

Followed by a couple of errors about link/load failures. So my theory is that a dependency that Apple16X50ACPI needs is not loading.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead

Scott Lahteine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Followed by a couple of errors about link/load failures. So my theory is that a dependency that Apple16X50ACPI needs is not loading.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

That could be it... these systems sometimes require a lot of tweaks to get working reliably. But I dunno, looking at the ioreg entries, I see that the "DIGI" device is only a child of "AppleACPIPlatformExpert." I don't know how that relates to dependency though. DIGI also has a "compatible" key with the value "ACPI\WACF004." Maybe you can try the string "WACF004" ... you know, just in case.

On my system there is no such plugin. I have Apple16X50PCCard.kext instead of Apple16X50ACPI.kext, but then my system is a G5 desktop.

Sam I Am Not

Sam I Am Not

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
BTW, I tried Don't Query last night, and it works again. =)

Don't know why it doesn't respond to *.

Thanks Scott.

pegasys

pegasys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Hi, just to say that I've installed Tablet Magic 2.0 beta 8 rc6 on an install of 10.4.6 Jas on my Toshiba M200 Tablet PC and the app works great.

Initially, it couldn't find a serial tablet - I'd forgotten to enable the wacom serial port in OS X - duh!

Went to

/system/library/extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and changed the IONameMatch string from PNP0501 to WACF004 , deleted kextcaches and rebooted.

The pen was recognised immediately but the calibration was way out - the closer to the top left corner of the screen the smaller the gap between the pen tip and the cursor - the closer to the bottom right hand corner of the screen the bigger the gap between the pen tip and cursor.

Played around with the settings under the second tab of Tablet Magic - resizing screen area, resizing wacom tablet area etc - eventually gave up and just clicked the tab 'max' for the wacom settings - immediately the pen worked properly everywhere on the screen.

I've enabled the app to start at bootup and also enabled ink - inkwell doesn't seem much good for cursive (joined) writing - but works fine unjoined writing.

All in all, Mac osx seems to work really well on the m200 - thanks to other members for tips under the compatibility/portable computing section of 10.4.6.

Thanks to Scott Lahteine for the Tablet Magic app and also to Kashoggi for the info on how to edit Apple16X50Serial.kext. It would be nice to also have right-click functionality but what's working already is great.

Now, If only I could get the KEYBOARD working on my Amilo M3438g..... :star_smile:

Ferret-Simpson

Ferret-Simpson

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Right click is fine. Just fiddle with the button settings in TabletMagic.

tamstoker

tamstoker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
stevef and Scott,

I have also installed 10.4.6 on my HP tc1100. Its great! I've been trying to use TabletMagic to get my Wacom tablet going, but have hit the exact same problems as stevef. Specifically:

IOPCI2PCIBridge: bad bridge bus numbering, no room to fix, bailing out!

I've tried a few other things, and may have some info to help.

First, I changed the Info.plist to read "WACF005", deleted /System/Library/Extensions.*, and rebooted. After reboot, Apple16X50Serial.kext still is not loaded. Running

sudo kextload Apple16X50Serial.kext

yields a successful response. However, no new devices are found in /dev, nor is the tablet recognized in TabletMagic. From reading the source, it appears that an appeal is made to the Apple IOkit stuff to actually communicate with the serial device, so this leads me to believe that it is, indeed, a problem with recognition of the serial ports. I can't see any reference to the tablet at all in the boot log, or any other device listing (like ioreg). I've attached a screenshot of the device interconnections repored in the Device Manager on XP.

Attached Files

Ferret-Simpson

Ferret-Simpson

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Hmm. By coincidence, do you have any other hardware not working when it should?

I'm about to test my TabletPC for this error, but there's a bug in the PCI driver meaning that it seems to skip some buses.

Working on it, if it's the same issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy