TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

Posted another new build, TabletMagic 2.0b8rc6 with the following changes:

• Added a "Don't Query" checkbox and Scale Override edit-fields to the Extras tab
  • Added support for system buttons 3, 4, and 5
  • Added a -F argument to the daemon which "Forces" TabletPC at 19200
  • The daemon now adjusts to resolution changes

For those who experienced kernel panicking, I suggest you go to the Extras tab and make sure "Don't Query" is checked before starting the daemon. This adds the "-F" parameter to the daemon's startup parameters, and this will persist when the daemon is started automatically at boot time.

This version doesn't do logging.

Paringas, you mentioned you were seeing no tilt data. So far I have no information about tilt support in TabletPCs, so I haven't included any support for it. A log file showing a range of tilt values would be very helpful. If you still have the -tpc build of rc5, that version does produce a log file.

I included two text fields in the Extras tab where you can enter custom values to override the tablet scale values. Hopefully you can find some values that work with your TC4200. However, without knowing more about how to query a tablet for its internal scale it's not possible for TabletMagic to determine the correct values automatically.

Enjoy!

Edited by Scott Lahteine

As I said, the "Silent" build works perfectly. RC5 I think?

Screen Bounds: (0, 0) - (1023, 767)

[PORT] serial0

Error opening serial port /dev/cu.serial0 - Resource busy(16).

Can't open serial port "/dev/cu.serial0".

[PORT] Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

[sENT] "0\r"

[sENT] "*\r"

[ERR ] Timed Out!

Could not initialize tablet.

Fatal Error: No Wacom Tablet Found!

Excuse the use of Bluetooth, the Tablet itself is busy. :whistle: Those are the first sent commands.

1. works only if i tick "don't query"

2. middle click works - thank you very much

3. less lagging in the testing pane.

4. all the mapping/calibration issues are the same.

must haves:

1. addition of the calibration function ala windows/windows mobile

2. managing the interface so the mapping function is only related to multi-monitor setups/mouse mode.

3. pressure "sensitivity"/scaling setting.

4. "press and hold" functionality ala windows/windows mobile with the inclusion of the side switch.

optionals:

1. mouse mode

once all of these are in (including all the compatibility issues) - it's a done job.

ps. starting to doubt the tilt as it might require a special pen.

Edited by paringas

[PORT] serial0

Error opening serial port /dev/cu.serial0 - Resource busy(16).

Can't open serial port "/dev/cu.serial0".

The rc6 build should do everything just the same as the "silent build" rc5-tpc. But it looks like something already has the serial port in this attempt... maybe you're already running another daemon, and maybe it's suspended? If you give it another shot it ought to be able to open and connect. If the serial port still won't open I can try messing with the serial initialization code. I hope I can fix your kernel panic issue, that just shouldn't happen at all.

alright first off please dont yell at me. I decided to try this program out I tried TabletMagic 2.0b8rc6 just on the off chance it would work... and to my amazment it recognized something. when I enable Tabletmagic it says Tablet: ISD V4.0 (TabletPC) now I am surprized by this because I have a gateway CX2724 wich uses a Finepoint digitizer. Now I cant do anything with it and I would really like to see it work so is there anyone that can help.

bubba129,

go to mapping tab and press "more" a few times for the left square so the selected area's all covered.

then play with the setting for the right rectangle to marginally correct the calibration.

have a read through inkwell's help.

everything should work.

bubba129,

go to mapping tab and press "more" a few times for the left square so the selected area's all covered.

then play with the setting for the right rectangle to marginally correct the calibration.

have a read through inkwell's help.

everything should work.

Thanks for responding to my post, now I did as you said and I pressed the more button under mapping but still nothing when I use my pen it doesnt do anything. and as for the tip to look at the inkwell help is there something specific I should look for. Sorry I am a noob with this tablet stuff.

EDIT: OK something strange if I unplug my bluetooth dongle it doesnt find any tablet

Edited by bubba129

Scott, you're not reading my posts properly!

RC5 WORKS!!!!!!!!!

Actually I did know that rc5-tpc worked for you, but rc5-tpc is just a hack. It only works because it assumes there's a TabletPC digitizer on the first serial port and never sends any queries. (It also writes a log file continuously, which slows the driver and fills your hard drive.) Knowing that rc5 worked only confirms that it's the serial write() or the serial flush() that is causing your kernel panic.

My test versions are leading somewhere, so please be patient. I need to test each step in the initialization process until I know what's causing your kernel panic and paringas's bad mapping. I won't consider the driver worthy until it can definitively identify any digitizer or tablet and obtain the proper tablet scale values. We still have a long way to go to reach that point.

I know the serial port says it's busy, TabletMagic is using it. But it sends the same commands to bluetooth as it does to the internal serial.

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me whether you were posting the output from the Kashi daemon or rc6 in your earlier post, or what you were trying to point out. And it wasn't clear to me that "it sends the same commands to bluetooth..." referred to the Kashi daemon. It took some effort, but now I see what you were saying.

I decided to try this program out I tried TabletMagic 2.0b8rc6 just on the off chance it would work... and to my amazment it recognized something.

If you're using rc6 - which is a test version only - you need to go to the "Extras" tab in the preferences and uncheck "Don't Query." When this checkbox is enabled the driver simply assumes there's a digitizer on the first serial port it finds. So you have to disable that option to get a meaningful result.

Now, from what you say about your bluetooth dongle it sounds like your system may not be recognizing the digitizer's serial port. Did you hack the Apple16x50ACPI.kext file as described in this post by paringas? That hack is required to get the built-in digitizer to show up in Mac OS X as a POSIX serial port.

Edited by Scott Lahteine

Actually I did know that rc5-tpc worked for you, but rc5-tpc is just a hack. It only works because it assumes there's a TabletPC digitizer on the first serial port and never sends any queries. (It also writes a log file continuously, which slows the driver and fills your hard drive.) Knowing that rc5 worked only confirms that it's the serial write() or the serial flush() that is causing your kernel panic.

My test versions are leading somewhere, so please be patient. I need to test each step in the initialization process until I know what's causing your kernel panic and paringas's bad mapping. I won't consider the driver worthy until it can definitively identify any digitizer or tablet and obtain the proper tablet scale values. We still have a long way to go to reach that point.

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me whether you were posting the output from the Kashi daemon or rc6 in your earlier post, or what you were trying to point out. And it wasn't clear to me that "it sends the same commands to bluetooth..." referred to the Kashi daemon. It took some effort, but now I see what you were saying.

If you're using rc6 - which is a test version only - you need to go to the "Extras" tab in the preferences and uncheck "Don't Query." When this checkbox is enabled the driver simply assumes there's a digitizer on the first serial port it finds. So you have to disable that option to get a meaningful result.

Now, from what you say about your bluetooth dongle it sounds like your system may not be recognizing the digitizer's serial port. Did you hack the Apple16x50ACPI.kext file as described in this post by paringas? That hack is required to get the built-in digitizer to show up in Mac OS X as a POSIX serial port.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunatley I do not have windows installed and do not see how I can get the 7/8 character name in device manager without it. So I guess when I get home tonight I will install windows. So with that which version should I install I have XP and Vista?

So with that which version should I install I have XP and Vista?

XP will suffice.

It will be interesting to see whether you can get this to work, and whether the Finepoint tablet uses the same communication protocol. I've heard one report of success on a Gateway M275, but this hasn't been independently confirmed.

bobo2211 and all others who's tablets don't work after fixing the required kext:

1. go to Extras tab and click "kill daemon" there so that the status says "Daemon not running"

2. tick "Don't query" in Extras tab and try starting daemon again.

3. go into Testing tab and see if the numbers are alive as you move your pen around the screen.

4. if they are alive but your mouse pointer isn't matching with the tip of the pen, follow instructions i suggested to bubba129 six posts up.

good luck.

a shame that this forum doesn't like the idea of having the first post always displayed on every page of the thread with all the updated info on links/features/instructions/etc...

Edited by paringas

Alright well I am sorry to say that I cannot get my finepoint to work. I reinstalled Windows XP got the 7 characters that I needed (FPI2004) entered it into the file, added a tool into startup items and now I see serial 0 in tabletmagic but nothing is found. I just want to say thanks and keep up the good work I will keep my eye on this thread and test new releases.

bubba129,

not sure if you actually tried what i just posted as your post came straight after mine.

but if everything fails, now that you've patched your kext, try the original ...shoggi's driver/daemon (can't remember the thread it's from).

Alright well I am sorry to say that I cannot get my finepoint to work. I reinstalled Windows XP got the 7 characters that I needed (FPI2004) entered it into the file, added a tool into startup items and now I see serial 0 in tabletmagic but nothing is found. I just want to say thanks and keep up the good work I will keep my eye on this thread and test new releases.

Hi Bubba,

When you told me that your tablet was a Finepoint I wasn't very optimistic that it would work. But it's still possible to have a look at your tablet's data and see if it makes sense. I've posted TabletMagic 2.0b8rc7, another testing version of the driver. Its only functional change compared to rc6 is that it creates a log file at /Users/Shared/tabletmagic.log.

If you would like to provide some data from your tablet, install this version. After starting the driver play around with the pen, using all the corners of your tablet and pressing lightly and firmly. Kill the daemon using the "Kill Daemon" button in the preference pane's Extras tab. Then send me the log file at support at thinkyhead dot com. I'll have a look at the output and see if I can make any sense of it.

bobo2211 and all others who's tablets don't work after fixing the required kext:

1. go to Extras tab and click "kill daemon" there so that the status says "Daemon not running"

2. tick "Don't query" in Extras tab and try starting daemon again.

3. go into Testing tab and see if the numbers are alive as you move your pen around the screen.

4. if they are alive but your mouse pointer isn't matching with the tip of the pen, follow instructions i suggested to bubba129 six posts up.

good luck.

a shame that this forum doesn't like the idea of having the first post always displayed on every page of the thread with all the updated info on links/features/instructions/etc...

it's strange that Khashoggi tablet daemon works but TabletMagic does not

i will try your tip now paringas

my video demo :

I'm terribly sorry if this has been discussed in some other post, but I have successfully installed OSX 10.4.8 on to a Motion Computing M1400 and was looking for a way to use the tablet functionality with TabletMagic. I installed the latest version, but the program reads "no tablet detected". Is this something worth pursuing, or is the machine too old to use your interface? Congratulations with the work you've done so far. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

best,

patrick denny

tanata,

come on, man, if you're geeky enough to buy a tablet - you're geeky enough to look through this thread(it's only 3 pages).

read through all my posts(especially the one at the bottom of page 2) and before trying, patch your serial kext.

ps i'd be really pleased if Scott could update the first post of the thread with all the up to date instructions or at least links to the right posts to create a universal point of referral for people starting fresh.

paringas- Thank you for replying- I actually had gone through and followed your instructions to the best of my ability without success. This whole install process has been about repetition, so I'll try it a couple more times and see what I can come up more specifica questions. I haven't found any information about anyone successfully installing OSX on the Motion Computing Tablet and didn't know how far I could take it. I'll write back after some more experimentation. -best

Ferret-Simpson- It's a pen version- Thanks- best

Writing to report limited success on a Toshiba r20/r25/m7 series Tablet PC.

After hacking the appropriate kext, TabletMagic now detects my tablet. For a while, I was confused: TabletMagic had locked me into 15240x15240 tablet resolution, even though my tablet is 13348x18968. For some reason, there was a setting in the Extras pane that assumed I had that resolution of a tablet. I unchecked the box, and I can now use the full width of my screen. :(

For those of you wondering, there is no pressure sensitivity in Sketchbook Pro; in fact, the cursor doesn't display properly. (It whites over anything it crosses until the screen refreshes. This takes a while, making it nearly impossible to use this app). I couldn't get Flash 2004 to launch, and I don't have my Photoshop disc on me to test with.

Thanks Scott for all your hard work on TM and to Paringas for finding the Serial driver. I'll keep you posted on my findings.

Sam I Am (Not)

Edited by Sam I Am Not

The tablet has stopped being detected. I had played with it shortly in Ink and Sketchbook. I'd also tried to launch Flash. When I was testing Ink, the Finder windows started wigging out (I'd try to move them and they would vibrate between the pen and where they were resting). I turned off Ink, and everything seemed fine. Shortly after Flash crashed, TM stopped seeing my tablet. At one point, I had tested the iwi3945 driver, which created a dummy Airport adaptor (although called Ethernet by System Preferences). The Networking pane mentioned that it now saw a Serial port. It kept working after that. I deleted both 3945 and the network Serial port, and it still doesn't see it. serial0 is still a selectable (and selected) option in TM.

I've attached the console log:

console.log.2.txt