TabletMagic for TabletPCs

521 posts in this topic

Looking at the logs, I noticed that there were two daemons started. One would get started, renice itself, then a second or two later another would start. Manually removing the LoginWindow element from the launchd plist seemed to fix it.

Thank you Torchwood. This has been affecting others, but no one had connected it with auto-login.

I'd like the tablet to start up at the login window for those users who don't have auto-login enabled, but I guess it's not absolutely necessary. Still, I'm sure I could add code so that TM will wait a few seconds for all other instances of TM to go away before proceeding - or if they don't go away, to exit with a log message.

Anyway, it's a tricky issue. Thank you for providing a simple workaround.

hi folks,

im using a x61 tablet and tablet does magic on it. thank you thank you thank you.

i discovered "inkBook", which might be a good one for taking notes. it has a good

ink support and you can notes on imported pdf / image files.

does anybody knows an virtualkeyboard which is loading at the loginscreen? i have to

use autologin instead, which is not that secure.

thanks for sharing your thoughts,

alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Scott,

I've noticed in a couple of the newer tablet-enabled applications, like Axiotron's Quickscript and Circus Ponies Notebook, that the pen release doesn't actually happen until the pen is actually disengaged/more than an inch away from the tablet. Is this a programming error on their part, or is TabletMagic not firing an event required by the apps?

(X61 Tablet, WACF004 device, same things happening in 10.5.8 and 10.6.0)

Thanks for the great work!

On the TC1100 - I've taken the source from the x61 kext and enabler and changed the 16Xxx serial one to WACF005 and added that into the enabler kext -and they do load on bootup now. Where as the other TC1100 'specific' enabler does not load during boot.

I've got 10.5.7 going on a TC1100 1GB with 2GB of RAM. It took some finagling, but it's working. Works really really well, too.

Just the USB pointer stick comes and goes, the CardBus slot is MIA and of course, the tablet. The display is mirroring which is fine, thats all I ever do with it anyway. Rotation is not necessary.

I compiled setserial from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155999

I've placed it in /usr/bin so it's handy, on anything I try with it:

setserial ttys0

Cannot get serial info: Inappropriate ioctl for device

In fooling around with something I did get a new device listing, ttys000 - but that too gives me the same message.

I'm perplexed that the presence of the digitizer is detected but there is no way to talk to it.

The TC1100 has the lamest version of Phoenix BIOS i've ever seen. I think the menu at In-N-Out burger has more visible options on it. Why even have it there, does HP think we're all technophobes? ;-)

the latest Ubuntu boots right up and uses all the features. So sad..

This page references some code for enabling the serial port in Linux. I think I'll try to figure out how to compile it and see if helps. I've not messed with Xcode or much of this kind of stuff in general very much, but... perhaps I'll figure it out.

Anyone got any pointers or direction I should go in?

Same place as any other kext. /System/Library/Extensions with the proper permissions, or use Kext Helper.

OK, so I put the TabletEnabler.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions and set the owner to root and the group to wheel, with the proper permissions. Do I need to modify it to specify either WACF004 or WACF008? Right now they are both in there in an array.

I also copied the provided Apple16X50ACPI.kext to it's location and set the owner, group, and permissions. This Info.plist still has an array of PNP0501, WACF004, and WACF008. Do I need to comment any of those out?

For some reason when I do 'ls -l' in /System/Library/Extensions the Apple16X50Serial.kext and the TabletEnabler.kext are the only two .kexts that have an '@' symbol after their permissions. I don't know what that means, but they seem to load alright. Do I need to do anything to explicitly load the TabletEnabler.kext or does that happen by default at startup?

TabletMagic is installed, "Launch at Startup" is checked, I get the "serial0" in the drop-down, but the Daemon isn't running. The Enable checkbox next to the drop-down has a blue '-' in it, and when I click it a check appears and it says "Starting Daemon..." but then nothing happens. Needless to say I still don't have use of the tablet.

I'm on a X61 tablet running iATKOS 10.5.7

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

From my TC1100 - it finds it, but .. no amount of messing with serial ports can I seem to find what port the thing might be residing on.

9/18/09 10:00:20 PM com.thinkyhead.TabletMagic[178] TabletMagicDaemon v2.0b17d1

9/18/09 10:00:20 PM com.thinkyhead.TabletMagic[178] [iNIT] renice -20 178 : Succeeded

9/18/09 10:00:21 PM com.thinkyhead.TabletMagic[178] [PROC] Tablet Bounds: (0, 0) - (15239, 15239)

9/18/09 10:00:21 PM com.thinkyhead.TabletMagic[178] [PROC] Screen Bounds: (0, 0) - (1599, 1199)

I compiled setserial and that complains about any of the /dev/ttypX entries I try.

Seems like everything else, it's ttySx but here it's ttypX

ioreg shows no WACF0005 either, but that other command shows it.

Hey, Scott,

I've noticed in a couple of the newer tablet-enabled applications, like Axiotron's Quickscript and Circus Ponies Notebook, that the pen release doesn't actually happen until the pen is actually disengaged/more than an inch away from the tablet. Is this a programming error on their part, or is TabletMagic not firing an event required by the apps?

(X61 Tablet, WACF004 device, same things happening in 10.5.8 and 10.6.0)

Thanks for the great work!

I have the sameproblem. I've seen quickscript working on USB tablet Macs and it l would be really nice to have it Working properly on the Wacom serial based tablets running Tablet Magic. Would a donation help our cause?

Sorry if i'm posting in a wrong topic - i got q1 ultra, which has a USB 4 pin digitizer (pretty much all what i know about it). Works rightaway with mac os, but requires calibration. Tabletmagic (dl'ed last version from sourceforge) didn't even see. I can't seem to find 'tablet pc' tab to bypass the Hardware ID detection. any1 can help?

@Scott, OutZider, moonislune,

I've also tried Axitron's Quickscript on a X60, T2010 and 2710p without any success.

Using the cursor (manipulated by touchpad/stick, usb mouse) to write in the writing area works but using the cursor (manipulated by pen) does not.

@zaitsman

How bad is the calibration out? Do you have the correct screen resolution?

p.s. have you tried Quickscript mentioned above?

pegasys

Can't really find what is that Quickscript - could u perhaps explain it to me?

Ok. Found quickscript - it aint really what i need, as it says it's a scripting program rather than a calibration tool, but there's something called a modbook driver there which i'll certainly try

Well, most unfortunately the Modbook driver doesn't work either, it's a Wacom only feature. Arrrgh I'm starting to get desperate.

@zaitsman

Sorry, Quickscript is handwriting recognition software, nothing to do with calibration, but I was guessing it would work with your USB digitiser.

I was wondering whether you were running Leopard at the native screen res of 1024x600 or running it at 800x600 stretched onto a 1024x600 screen. Have you checked Mysticus' Samsung NC10 thread? there might be some info there - there were touchscreen kits available for the NC10 netbook:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137314

pegasys - I'm using 1024 by 600 with SwitchResX(i guess that makes it native). However, even in windows with tat - NATIVE resolution for the screen the digitizer needs the SAME calibration (hell, at least microsoft includes their own tools to do that).

What is also to be noted, that during the install of mac os digitizer works as if it required no calibration, but i guess the resolution there is 800 by 600 or something, so i would try switching there to see if it works, but wouldn't be so great anyway since i would loose on space for web browsing ;)

ps Well, tried 800 * 600, now the screen loks like it's out of range, and as it simply didn't work with ScreenResX, I have tried it with built-in app. What an idiot. Now i guess I'll have to reinstall from scratch.

@all

I've been playing with Quickscript some more

I've noticed that if you press the middle mouse button on the Fujitsu T2010 as you write with the pen (or after you lift the pen away, but before writing the next word), the app no longer freezes, and I'm able to send words to TextEdit, etc. (but I'm unable to correct words).

The middle mouse button has the same effect with the Lenovo X60 as well.

I'm just posting this as it may give someone (who knows more about it) some clues about what's going on.

Sorry if i'm posting in a wrong topic - i got q1 ultra, which has a USB 4 pin digitizer (pretty much all what i know about it). Works rightaway with mac os, but requires calibration. Tabletmagic (dl'ed last version from sourceforge) didn't even see. I can't seem to find 'tablet pc' tab to bypass the Hardware ID detection. any1 can help?

I had a Gateway C-5815 with the same issue. Unless one of the Wacom drivers works with your tablet, you're SOL. There isn't a native, standard calibration tool.

@all

I've been playing with Quickscript some more

I've noticed that if you press the middle mouse button on the Fujitsu T2010 as you write with the pen (or after you lift the pen away, but before writing the next word), the app no longer freezes, and I'm able to send words to TextEdit, etc. (but I'm unable to correct words).

The middle mouse button has the same effect with the Lenovo X60 as well.

I'm just posting this as it may give someone (who knows more about it) some clues about what's going on.

I wish that worked for me. I even tried reassigning buttons but no-go. The weird thing is- Apple ink doesn't have that problem with Tablet Magic which makes me think it's Axiotron's software

@ moonislune

What tablet are you using, what release (I'm still using iAtkos v7)

I've just tried this with a usb mouse plugged in (2 button, scroll-wheel) and pushing the scroll-wheel down has exactly the same effect. (You should press the Middle button as you write a word and before lifting the pen from the screen).

Hardly a usable solution, but it does give you the chance to try out the app with a pen. Hopefully, someone will come up with a proper fix.

@ moonislune

What tablet are you using, what release (I'm still using iAtkos v7)

I've just tried this with a usb mouse plugged in (2 button, scroll-wheel) and pushing the scroll-wheel down has exactly the same effect. (You should press the Middle button as you write a word and before lifting the pen from the screen).

Hardly a usable solution, but it does give you the chance to try out the app with a pen. Hopefully, someone will come up with a proper fix.

Great find! I'll definitely have to play around with the settings some more. Might even look at getting a new tablet pen with 2 buttons! I in running 10. 6.1 on a TC4400. Thanks for posting this, seems like there's enough of us interested in Mac tablets to keep this thread going!

Seems that Quickscript was developed from (and is very similar to) MyScript Stylus - which can be downloaded (Mac, Linux and Win versions) from:

http://www.visionobjects.com/handwriting_r...loadstylus3.htm

The Win and Linux versions work just fine (I ran them on XP, Win7 and Ubuntu 9.04) - but the Mac version behaves just like Quickscript - it freezes as soon as you lift the pen after writing the first word :)

EDIT 1: FWIW, Quickscript works without any problems on on a Asus R1F (wacom usb digitiser) and a Dell XT (ntrig usb digitiser).

EDIT 2: The second beta of Axiotron Quickscript (released Dec 8) works on serial tablets - or at least it now works on my Fujitsu T2010. Thanks to Axiotron and thanks again to Scott... :(

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=downloads

• 2 weeks later...

Scott, I am having a weird issue with my multitouch tablet since upgrading to SL. I am usingTablet Enabler 1.1 and TM b17d1. I used TM's Enable Digitizer button to make the necessary kext changes.

TM finds serial0 and I sees ISD V4.0 in the TM panel. When I set the baud rate to 38400, TM changes it back to 19200.

I believe my tablet is being recognized as a WACF004. If I remove this line from kext, TM does not find the tablet. Once I replace it, the tablet is recognized again. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Tom

Scott, I am having a weird issue with my multitouch tablet since upgrading to SL. I am usingTablet Enabler 1.1 and TM b17d1. I used TM's Enable Digitizer button to make the necessary kext changes.

TM finds serial0 and I sees ISD V4.0 in the TM panel. When I set the baud rate to 38400, TM changes it back to 19200.

I believe my tablet is being recognized as a WACF004. If I remove this line from kext, TM does not find the tablet. Once I replace it, the tablet is recognized again. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Hi Tom,

Interesting.... So has the digitizer ever worked for you on that computer at any point? As far as I know the WACF004 tablets run at 19200, while WACF008 tablets run at 38400. What kind of feedback do you see in the Testing tab? And finally, which model of tabletpc are you using?

Hi Tom,

Interesting.... So has the digitizer ever worked for you on that computer at any point? As far as I know the WACF004 tablets run at 19200, while WACF008 tablets run at 38400. What kind of feedback do you see in the Testing tab? And finally, which model of tabletpc are you using?

Scott, I am using and X61 tablet. I have an WACF008 which worked on 10.5.6 and 10.5.8. It has never worked on SL. Oz mentioned that TM was improperly recognizing his WACF004 as an 008. I seem to be having the opposite issue. It seems to recognize my digitizer as a WACF004. I say that for two reasons: 1) the digitizer does not work if I remove WACF004 from the kext file and 2) if ALWAYS drops the resolution to 19200 (I terminate the daemon and change it to 38400 but it is reset). I do not see any data in the testing tab. I hope this give you enough information to go on.

Tom

Scott, I am using and X61 tablet. I have an WACF008 which worked on 10.5.6 and 10.5.8. It has never worked on SL. Oz mentioned that TM was improperly recognizing his WACF004 as an 008. I seem to be having the opposite issue. It seems to recognize my digitizer as a WACF004. I say that for two reasons: 1) the digitizer does not work if I remove WACF004 from the kext file and 2) if ALWAYS drops the resolution to 19200 (I terminate the daemon and change it to 38400 but it is reset). I do not see any data in the testing tab. I hope this give you enough information to go on.

Tom

You shouldn't need to worry about the tablet ID code. Whatever the "Enable Digitizer" button is setting in the relevant Info.plist file should be correct. It comes directly from the I/O Registry. If it's set to WACF004 then that's your digitizer. You can check to see what's set in the I/O Registry by using the command:

ioreg -l | grep -A15 -E "o (DIGI|WACM|COMA)"

(The -A15 flag prints out the 15 lines following the matched I/O entry, so you may need to increase the number if for some reason the digitizer code is farther down.)

The reason - perhaps - that TM is dropping back to 19200 is because when it encounters a WACF008 tablet it always tries 38400 first - automatically - and then if that fails it falls back to 19200. But you can check the console output to see exactly what it's doing... and also what it does when you try to set the baud rate to 38400 manually.

As for that, just open up the "Console" application prior to starting TabletMagic (and be sure to use the "Kill Daemon" button in the preference pane before starting it), then you can see exactly where the point of failure is in the TM startup process.

Scott, The last message was a little above my newbie head. I did not receive any errors in Console. I am getting a bunch of messages about from Onyx (smithmicro).

10/16/09 5:17:04 PM System Preferences[2018] Received [model] ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)10/16/09 5:17:04 PM [0x0-0x31031].com.apple.systempreferences 2009-10-16 17:17:04.209 System Preferences[2018:903] Received [model] ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)

10/16/09 5:17:04 PM

Preferences[2018] Received [scale] 24570 18430

[0x0-0x31031].com.apple.systempreferences 2009-10-16 17:17:04.225 System Preferences[2018:903] Received [scale] 24570 1843010/16/09 5:17:04 PM System

I did not get any terminal output with the ioreg command as typed.

I wish I could be more help.

Tom