BT878 TV Tuner Feedback

Zulu.Walker

28 posts in this topic

I get ugly pictures. Reversed colors and non-working Linear Blend DeInterlacing. I'm guessing it has something to do with my 7600GT, using kexts installed from JaS 10.4.8 DVD. Sound also skips here and there. Not an enjoyable experience, but enough as a background distraction. My BT878 is a Generic Win Tuner.

post-77533-1172685279_thumb.png

post-77533-1172685364_thumb.png

I got the colors working right along with linear blend deinterlacing, but iTV has some serious overscan problems with it. Try lowering your resolution to 320x240, turn on linear blend deinterlacing, then see if it works. Console shows that iTV uses glView to draw the video onscreen, I'm still looking if I can modify something somehow to at least address the overscan issue, then that might probably solve the higher resolutions. As long as you already have video working but have issues with it, it's related to glView.

iTV 0.4 Intel - 320x240 with Linear Blending Deinterlacing

(correct colors, overscan problem)

post-77533-1172714349_thumb.png

iTV 0.4 Intel - 640x480 with Linear Blending Deinterlacing

(incorrectly sized video, video corruption)

post-77533-1172714374_thumb.png

iTV 0.4 Intel - 640x480 with Double Lines Deinterlacing

(correct AR and overscan, tinted video)

post-77533-1172714400_thumb.png

I tried contacting the author of iTV very recently and I hope he's still interested in supporting this great app.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
WinFast TV2000 XP Deluxe, with iTV kext

Works great with iTV and iRadio

10.4.9 8.9.1 SSE3 PentiumD

what exactly did you do?

cause i have this card, and i had static for a while, then i did something (dont know what) and now i have nothing.

edit: got the static back, here's a screen shot:

itv.tiff

what exactly did you do?

cause i have this card, and i had static for a while, then i did something (dont know what) and now i have nothing.

I did nothing special, just installed iTV and restarted. Started iTV app, changed some settings and did a channel search

And wualaa :D

2001028336449745495_th.jpg

Card - Leadtek

Tuner- Philips PAL

TV Format - PALBDGHI

Video Source - Input 1

Audio Source - Tuner

Videosize - 640x480

Window - Normal window

Deinterlace - Linear blend

Channel scan - Skip duplicates

I did nothing special, just installed iTV and restarted. Started iTV app, changed some settings and did a channel search

And wualaa :pirate2:

Card - Leadtek

Tuner- Philips PAL

TV Format - PALBDGHI

Video Source - Input 1

Audio Source - Tuner

Videosize - 640x480

Window - Normal window

nah, i set mine up exactly the same (well, didnt use PAL, since im in us), and no luck, still the same static screen as above.

im probably gonna reput mac on later this week, maybe ill update this one to 10.4.9, and try, and if it screws up my install, im gonna reformat it anyway.

nah, i set mine up exactly the same (well, didnt use PAL, since im in us), and no luck, still the same static screen as above.

im probably gonna reput mac on later this week, maybe ill update this one to 10.4.9, and try, and if it screws up my install, im gonna reformat it anyway.

You did the channel scan?

You did the channel scan?

i did channel scan, and nothing happens, at least not that i saw.

just to make sure im doing this right: open up iTv, click setup go down to channel scan and check it?

I cant add channels manually either, its rather annoying.

i did channel scan, and nothing happens, at least not that i saw.

just to make sure im doing this right: open up iTv, click setup go down to channel scan and check it?

I cant add channels manually either, its rather annoying.

You did it on the OSD menu?

Click on the tv screen, then press "ALT + m"

You did it on the OSD menu?

Click on the tv screen, then press "ALT + m"

did that, and it scans from 41 MHz up to 854 MHz, and gives me static

i dont know if this means anything, but i can't access any iTv preferences:

it2_001.jpg

i've had that since i installed iTv, so i dont know if it means anything.

did that, and it scans from 41 MHz up to 854 MHz, and gives me static

i dont know if this means anything, but i can't access any iTv preferences:

Its normal that you cant access the iTV menu, I think you need to play with different Tuner andTV Format settings and manual channel scan.

And wualaa :pirate2:

Card - Leadtek

Tuner- Philips PAL

TV Format - PALBDGHI

Video Source - Input 1

Audio Source - Tuner

Videosize - 640x480

Window - Normal window

I used your configuration and it work for one channel (before I auto search channel). But no audio. After I auto search channel, no channel can be found. Not even one.

What is you audio configuration? What driver do you use?

Any advise how to get it work?

Thanks in advance.

I used your configuration and it work for one channel (before I auto search channel). But no audio. After I auto search channel, no channel can be found. Not even one.

Thanks in advance.

You have the same card? When the same, then you need a working line-in or mic on your audio/sound card, there is a external audio cable, witch must be between TV-card line-out and line-in/mic plug. For me, the direct sound from the TV-card line-out is damn quiet. But through the sound card it gets much louder. On the channel search, manual scan, I have to play with it, back - forward - enter, again again, to get all my channles, and with different Tuner and TV Format.

You have the same card? When the same, then you need a working line-in or mic on your audio/sound card, there is a external audio cable, witch must be between TV-card line-out and line-in/mic plug. For me, the direct sound from the TV-card line-out is damn quiet. But through the sound card it gets much louder. On the channel search, manual scan, I have to play with it, back - forward - enter, again again, to get all my channles, and with different Tuner and TV Format.

I'm using Winfast 2000 XP RM. Too bad I don't have external cable, just aux in cable from TV Tuner to mobo Aux in.

btw this is my dmesg result:

nker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
display: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 1
Matching service count = 2
Matching service count = 3
Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1
Apple16X50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200
NVDANV40HAL loaded and registered.
ALCinject: Starting.
ALCinject: Setting layout-id=<data not shown>
ALCinject: Setting PinConfigurations=<data not shown>
Natit: Starting.
Natit: Setting @0,NVMT=<data not shown>
Natit: Setting device_type=NVDA,Parent
Natit: Setting @1,device_type=display
Natit: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac
Natit: Setting @1,compatible=NVDA,NVMac
Natit: Setting @0,fboffset=0x00020000
Natit: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B
Natit: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Display-A
Natit: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>
Natit: Setting @0,device_type=display
Natit: Setting model=GeForce 7600 GS
rtl_r1000_nic_ext: Ethernet address 00:19:21:0b:ff:32
IONetworkController::enable
bt8xx module has loaded!
bt8xx: kernel osrelease 8.9.1
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 1!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 2!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 3!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 4!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 5!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 6!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 7!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 8!
bt8xx_init: failed to allocate a major number 9!
bt8xx_init: registered with major number 10!
pciDevices(0x376bc00) isValid(1)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(244e) revision(e1) subsystemID(0) subVendorID(0)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(10ec) deviceID(8167) revision(10) subsystemID(8167) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(109e) deviceID(878) revision(11) subsystemID(6606) subVendorID(107d)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(109e) deviceID(36e) revision(11) subsystemID(6606) subVendorID(107d)
bt8xx_attach: current_task(0x2f53cb0) kernel_task(0x2f56da0)
bktr: ioRegisters at 0x2b417000
brooktree0: PCI bus latency is 32.
bt8xx_attach: func(36e109e) rev(11)
get_bktr_mem: size(32768) va(2b433000) pa(11f60000)
get_bktr_mem: size(32768) va(2b43b000) pa(11f68000)
get_bktr_mem: size(65536) va(2b443000) pa(11f70000)
get_bktr_mem: size(1310720) va(451c0000) pa(11f80000)
get_bktr_mem: size(3555328) va(463b6000) pa(120c0000)
bt8xx: buffer size 3555328, addr 0x120c0000
bt8xx: GPIO is 0x003ff500
bt8xx: subsystem 0x107d 0x6606
bt8xx: Warning - card vendor 0x107d (model 0x6606) unknown.
bt8xx: card signature:  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  08  00  01  00  0a  00  00  00 

checking msp3400c
any_i2c_devices = 1 remote = 0
bt8xx: Pinnacle/Miro TV, <no> tuner.
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27b8) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27c8) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27c9) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27ca) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27cb) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27cc) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27c0) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27da) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(27d8) revision(1) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(2771) revision(2) subsystemID(0) subVendorID(0)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(10de) deviceID(392) revision(a1) subsystemID(11a4) subVendorID(1554)
probe_cards :ChipType vendorID(8086) deviceID(2770) revision(2) subsystemID(1b76) subVendorID(1019)

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Well, i played with some settings, and have managed to get video, but i too am stuck with no audio.

Also, i cannot change the channel, or add any channels to it, i am stuck on channel 7, abc...

ok well this card isnt working with vista, and it just isnt working to begin with, so im rmaing it, i've given up, i seem to have horrible luck with everything lately.

anyone recomend a different card that works?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, some clues to make it work with a AverMedia AverTV 203 (may be with studio too).

My setup is:

Card: AverMedia

Tuner: Philips FR1216_PAL (may be works with "Philips PAL" too ??? )

TV Format: PALBDGHI

Video source: Input1

Audio Source: Tuner

Video Size: 640x480

Window: As you wish

Deinterlace: Linear Blend

Channel Scan: Skip Duplicates

I had various issues. The two more prominent were with scanning and audio:

Scanning:

- It appears to simply ignore "Skip duplicates"

- You must scan over and over and over and over and over (pressing the "s" key ) until you get all your channels :-S, in every run it adds some new channels and a lot of {censored} (PPV channels, because i'm using a cable provider, and duplicates)

Audio:

- Given the configuration above, when the program is executed for the first time after a system reboot. the sound works for some miliseconds in channel zapping and then go mute :-S

A workaround (very strange ) is:

1.- opening iTV,

2.- selecting "No card" for card

3.- "Extern" for audio source,

4.- Then selecting "AverMedia" for card again

5.- Then "Tuner" for audio source again

and sound works fine until next restart.

Make sure your audio is "playing Thru", (press "a" key after selecting the iTV window and select the apropiate devices and press "Play Through"

More issues are related with that, apparently, some options doesn't apply until you restart the app.

This is a pain in the ass application to configure (compared with any other MacOS app, you know ;-) ) but it works.

No video/sound problem while watching tv, though...

Hope this helps someone.

Well, forget about the sound workaround.

It works when it want to :-(

You must change settings and switch between radio and TV for a while. AFAIK No reproducible sequence. Once it works, works until next restart.

Is just annoying...

¿Somebody "suffers" the same problem?

• 2 years later...

Hi guys.

After a couple of hard, but succesful triing to make my CPH 06x branded (brooktree bt 878 based) tv tuner working, i decided to write a tutorial for leopard.

2 years ago I had installed the 10.4.8 Jas Tiger, and after I had installed the itv 0.4. i put the attached bt8xx.kext to the /System/Library/Extensions and after deleting the /System/Librar/Extensions.mkext & /System/Librar/Extensions.kextcach rebooted, and everything worked fine.

A couple of days ago I've installed the 10.5.8 iDeneb Leopard and did the same with chmod/chown too.

And the kext failed to load....

So the workaround: How to force loading a kext on startup:

1. Get an itv 0.4 intel from here

2. Install the itv folder to the Applications folder

3. Install the bt8xx.kext with kexthelper to the /System/Library/Extensions

3. open a terminal, type: su

and your root password

now you have root privileges

type: chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/bt8xx.kext

type:chmod -R 775 /System/Library/Extensions/bt8xx.kext

now the kext have right permissions

4. copy the attached(see below) com.itv.bt8xx.plist to the /Library/LaunchDaemons with this:

mv /Downloads/com.itv.bt8xx.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.itv.bt8xx.plist

5. type: chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.itv.bt8xx.plist

chmod 644 /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.itv.bt8xx.plist

these are the MUST settings to make an autoload for the kext

6. type: launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.itv.bt8xx.plist

this makes the autoload for the kext

7. check this with: launchctl list

if you can see "com.itv.bt8xx" on the list, you have success.

8. Now if you reboot or turn on your computer, the bt8xx.kext loads

you can check it within a terminal window, type: kextstat

if you can see " de.berlin.lightware.bt8xx" on the list the kext loads.

9. Now you can start the itv application, and you can play with the preferences until you make your card working. My CPH 06x needs the Card->Askey, Tuner->Temic Pal, TV Format->PALBDGHI, Video Source->Input 1, Audio Source->Intern, Deinterlace->Linear Blend settings. now you can make a search with the s key.

And whoala, the itv 0.4 works on Leo too :(

com.itv.bt8xx.plist.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys thank you for the support. I have installed IPC on my packard bell imedia everything is fine except the leadtek PVR 2000 card.I have done what ontheground suggested but with no luck. When I click on radio or tv nothing happens.

I would be grateful if soneone could help me please as I really need to get this working formy security cameras. thank you

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys thank you for the support. I have installed IPC on my packard bell imedia everything is fine except the leadtek PVR 2000 card.I have done what ontheground suggested but with no luck. When I click on radio or tv nothing happens.

I would be grateful if soneone could help me please as I really need to get this working formy security cameras. thank you

my fixing instructions are for the itv 0.4, see the links in the post, try this with bt848/878 based pci cards.

and if you have questions, ask me:)