[How-To] ATI Radon Mobility 9600 AGP with QE/CI on 10.4.8/10.4.10

largo

140 posts in this topic

ok, with largo´s driver pack i got my mobility radeon 9700 properly recognized and working, video playback and all...qe/ci supported. the low performance manifesting as slow graphics and stuttering sound appears to be caused by speedstep clocking down the cpu...no probs running at 100% (1,5ghz) but stuttering at any other clock, graphics like window minimizing constantly getting slower with every step down the clock list.

that is quite annoying because at 100% my fan is running all the time. woking like writing is possible but where´s the fun? that´s why I´m highly interested in getting undervolting running. Without EFI the IntelEnhancedSpeedstp.kext isn´t working, and Coolbook doesn´t show me anything at this time...I need some help with htis SMBIOS thing please!

PS.: sorry for OT! :P

ok, with largo´s driver pack i got my mobility radeon 9700 properly recognized and working, video playback and all...qe/ci supported. the low performance manifesting as slow graphics and stuttering sound appears to be caused by speedstep clocking down the cpu...no probs running at 100% (1,5ghz) but stuttering at any other clock, graphics like window minimizing constantly getting slower with every step down the clock list.

that is quite annoying because at 100% my fan is running all the time. woking like writing is possible but where´s the fun? that´s why I´m highly interested in getting undervolting running. Without EFI the IntelEnhancedSpeedstp.kext isn´t working, and Coolbook doesn´t show me anything at this time...I need some help with htis SMBIOS thing please!

PS.: sorry for OT! :D

Hi, I just opened a new topic on how to get it running. You will find a zipped AppleSMBIOS.kext that works for me. You can find everything here.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Is it work with 9600 devID 4152?

thanks

I guys, I got somewhere here with my Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 (M10/M11) dev_id 4e50.

post-209019-1225363206_thumb.jpg

Graphics are indeed accelerated, scrolling is very smooth and so is moving dragging windows across the screen. However a few things don't work:

videos :: the movie plays but picture is all white

preview :: all white and crashes. BUT, it works if I open images with taskbar

coverflow :: simply not working

Here is how I did it:

Optional in case you messed up with your extensions

- Downloaded Update 10.5.1 Intel from Apple

- Extracted ATI* kexts from it and re-installed them with Kext Helper b7 (to 'clear' any previous attempts, messed files)

Main STEP

1) Downloaded Update 10.4.8 Intel from Apple and extracted the following kexts with Pacifist:

- ATIRadeon9700.kext

- ATIRadeon9700DVDDriver.bundle

- ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

- ATIRadeon9700VADriver.bundle

- ATIRadeonGA.plugin

- ATIRadeonGLDriver.bundle

2) Install Callisto b003 edited with dev_id 4e50

3) Patched ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and - ATIRadeonGA.plugin (IONDVRFrameBuffer -> CallistoFB)

Even more important STEP !!!

4) Installed - ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle (build 9a321) patched with ATIRadeonx1000GLDriver.bundle from 10.5.1 (this method was mentioned in many other forums). Here is what you have to do:

a) download this

:) extract ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle

c) Navigate into ATIRadeonx1000GLDriver.bundle from 10.5.1 into Contents/MacOS, copy ATIRadeonx1000GL.driver onto your desktop, rename it to ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

d) navigate into ATIRadeon9700GLDriver bundle build 9a321 (the one obtained in :) to Contents/MacOS and drag ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (the one you got in c) so as to replace existing one.

e) install kext, repair permissions

8) Reboot

Note: Do this without AGPGart. If it works then add AGPGart that worked for you.

Good luck!

Hi, I found on a forum (problem is I don't remember which one), that coolbook only works if it sees your laptop as a valid Mac, so I had to donwload and install a particular version of AppleSMSBios.kext. That way, once I rebooted, Coolbook was populated with default freqs and voltages. So, I paid the $10, activated it and now I got i working!

Hope this works for you too :)

• 1 month later...
Hello, I have a ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro AGP 8x 64mb, I managed to install it with callisto 005 but the EQ does not work, I'm in ideneb 10.5.5, please !!!!!

I researched this for a while. EQ for this video card will not work on leopard (10.5.x)... it only works on tiger (10.4.x).

• 3 months later...

I've got a DELL Dimension 5150 Desktop PC, with ATI X300 graphic card.

I just found somebody said your solution works for this ATI X300 card. So I tried your solution.

So far, I can not make it work, but it did make something different, I mean the appareance or effect. But the problem stopped me is the login in interface will never let me log in, even though I input the correct passwords. I've tried more than 20 times (including re-install IPC OSX86 10.5.6), still no luck.

Do you know how to fix the login issue. I do believe something has been changed, maybe the ATI X300 QE problem can be fixed under leopard by your solution.

Looking forward to your reply.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I will tell you what I understood about this graphics card. I've got a ASUS laptop (M6Ne) which is quite good with Tiger (except for wireless, and for graphics because of mouse tearing) but I desperately tried to make it work under Leopard in order to use some Leopard-specific software (Xcode 3, Omnigraffle 5 and so on). After nearly one year of pain and unsuccessful attempts, I figured out that it was impossible to get this card to work with recent versions of Leopard (and every card sharing the same kexts, like the X300 if I remember well), because :

* The kexts in Leopard are for PPC only

* The graphics infrastructure has changed since 10.5.0 (if you install 10.5.0 you'll get an Intel version of the kexts but it won't be compatible with further versions of Leopard)

So the only solutions seem to be :

* using Tiger and old software (it is a no-future solution)

* using Leopard 10.5.0 (bugs and almost no compatibility with new software)

* using Leopard without graphic acceleration (bad compatibility with some software, poor experience)

* resignment (or developing GNUstep to make it competitive again in front of the Mac community)

* stealing the code for these kexts and recompiling it for Intel-based macs (or directly for Hacks)

* writing new kexts (when you see how much time mercurysquad has given to write a wireless driver, and given the fact that only Apple writes drivers for graphics cards, it is quite irrealistic)

This is what I understood, so I don't even guarantee what I say nor cite my sources and I hope secretly that someone will get the solution to that problem.

• 3 weeks later...
INTRODUCTION

After spending several very long and painful nights trying to get either Quarz-Extreme (QE) or Core Image (CI) to work with my Radeon Mobility 9600 AGP (ID 0x4e50), I thought I'd share my special drivers-package with you and explain how to make it work.

PREFACE

After the initial installation of the JaS 10.4.8 release things look deceptively good. Both QE and CI work, the only trouble is that the resolution doesn't. It's fixed on 1024x786 and if you want to run anything else, you simply can't. Just as an example for this post I'll assume that the resolution we want to run is 1600x1200, just change it in your head to whatever it is you desire.

FIRST TRIALS

It is fairly easy to get the 1600x1200 resolution up and running. Just install the Callisto "ATI_9600_C003_AGP.zip", the trouble is that with it, QE and CI go down the drain. In order to get it back I practically pulled out all the stops. I tried all the other Callisto drivers, I installed Nadid, Catana, Titan - you name it, I tried it�- but nothing ever worked.

In the end it was a hint some guy (Sorry, I forgot your nick!) on the IRC channel had told me. He said something along the lines that I'll need the OpenGL Framework and kexts from 10.4.7 in order to make it work, but at that time I had absolutely no idea what it ment.

After learning a lot about OSX and how to install and fix broken drivers, I came back to what he said, got myself a hold of a 10.4.7 image and started to fiddle around with that. The outcome of that is the driver you find linked�a�few�lines below.

THE DRIVER

The driver package you find linked a few lines below is a combination of the Callisto driver named above and certain kexts and frameworks from the 10.4.7 JaS release. In case that specific Callisto driver does work out for you without providing acceleration (even if you have a different Graphics Card) there is a good chance that this package will will fix the acceleration.

INSTALLATION

To ensure this driver package works out for you I did several installations of it for myself in order to learn what to do in which situation. The most important thing I learned is that IF you previously played around with Nadid, Titan, Catana or whatever meta package there is a certain chance the driver won't work out at all (it didn't for me!).

I can only recommed a fresh OSx86 install in order to make my driver bundle work, I tried this in two seperate installations and everything worked out perfectly well.

First thing to do is download the driver and put it onto your Desktop, them do the following steps (all inside the Terminal):

1. We need to set the password for the 'Superuser' aka. 'Administrator' on windows. The accout is called 'root' in the world of unix. If you have done this previously, you can skip this step.

sudo passwd root

Executing this will ask you for the password of your own account and then for the new password for the root account.

2. �Once this is done type the following:

su -m

This will change your user-id in order to become the super-user. You'll have to type in the password you just set in order to gain the previliges. If it was successfull the username from the end of the commandline will change from your username to root.

3. �Once you've become root we can start to install the drivers. Type the following:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*<BR>��rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework<BR>��rm /System/Libary/Extensions.*<BR>��mv Desktop/10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz /<BR>��cd /<BR>��tar xvfz 10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz

Alternatively, you might want to move (mv) the files above in order to save them in a backup folder of your choice, instead of deleting (rm) them.

4. �Once you have done this, restart your Notebook. When it comes back you should have full QE/CI support and you're now able to change your resolution in the 'System Preferences' -> 'Displays' applet.
  5. �ENJOY!

DISCLAIMER and HINTS

I obviously can't guarantee that this will work out for all of you. It definitely works on my Notebook though, a HP/Compaq NW8000 (NC6000).

In case your CardID (check in 'System Profiler' -> 'Graphics/Display') isn't 0x4e50 you'll definitely have to edit the following file after the installation in order to make things work.

Get root, and edit the following file using your favourite text editor (vi, emacs, nano, whatever...)

/System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once you've opened the file simply search for '4e50' and change it according to your own ID and then reboot.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

If you're new to OSx86 you've probably already seen that the status is pretty chaotic. Browsing the forums and finding the informations you need is extremly exhausting and this results in people asking the same questions over and over again - which makes it even worse.

I found The Genuius Bar a very good place to be and learn. No matter if a topic is suited for your hardware or not, reading through all this How-To's and Guides will make you understand OSx86 much better.

During my search for answers to my QE/CI questions, I came across people and threads that stated either of:

1. It will never work.
  2. Either QE OR CI will work.
  3. Everything will work using Catana.
  4. What do you need QE/CI for anyways? It isn't used for graphics acceleration.
  5. Install JaS 10.4.7 it will work there. (This is actually partially true)

What you learn through this is that there are more than enough people around that think they know what their doing, but they actually don't. Just if someone tells you something doesn't work, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

In my case for example, everything just worked out perfectly well.

REQUEST

In case my driver-bundle works out for you and you have a different Graphics Card as the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 AGP (0x4e50), please post a reply to this thread so we learn for�which�Card�this�bundle�is�effective.

THANKS

Thanks to all the guys from the IRC that helped me on my road to happiness. Live long and prosper!

• 2 months later...

Hi people , sorry to ask this question but i have been a member off this fourm for over a year now,and finish reading this thread today and if anything i am more confuse then ever. I find for ever question answered there are five that just leave you hang and never report back on =weather they fix the problem or just went back to windoze . Anyway if you can answer this question yes or no would be great..does ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO AGP 4x 32mb card work fully with osx .thats it yes or no....thanks you. (fully ) QE and CI.......nc8000

:rolleyes:

I had install 10.4.8-ATI9600Mobility.tar.gz on my HP NC6000 notebook with ATI Mobility9600 32M@1400*1050 on Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.1_sse2.

But it got the crash report logs like this:

loginwindow_2008-02-28-235625_carys-hp-compaq-nc6000-pm184usaba-timer-vector-number.crash

Process: loginwindow [116]

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow

Identifier: loginwindow

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

Date/Time: 2008-02-28 23:56:25.300 +0800

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.1 (9B18)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: _CGLGetPixelFormat

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL

I have the same problem. Can anyone please tell me what to do?

• 7 months later...

Worked On My Thinpad T42 Radeon Mobility 9600 AGP (ID 0x4e50) With JaS 10.4.8, And Displaying QE QC Supported.

Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP:

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 64 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4e50

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color